X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrGarison
    replied
    Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
    The S2000's look like a solid choice. We have built a ton down here in Windsor, ON and Jeff B's Tributes are really great! Consider them too.
    hey, which one's are the Jeff B tribute? I'm trying to find them

Leave a comment:

• scottvalentin
    replied
    Originally posted by MrGarison View Post

Good to know, I wasn't able to find them on the site. If they want them deleted, I completely understand.

Very interesting regarding the s2000 woofer. I live within an hour of the Sumas border crossing (with Washington). Could ship and hold state side maybe
    I ship all my parts to Colville, WA as my folks live on the other side of the border in BC. Saves a bundle!!

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Yes, excellent idea. FYI, DIYsg uses Paypal and ships Fedex.

Leave a comment:

• MrGarison
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    Our benevolent host does not permit links to other sources, but if the links are not to an item directly competitive to their products, they might let it slide. If they don't like it, they'll delete the links.

If you like building electronics and populating circuit boards, go for it. I'm not competent to judge those products.

Edit: the S2000 carbon fiber woofer is proprietary to DIYsg, no other source.
    Good to know, I wasn't able to find them on the site. If they want them deleted, I completely understand.

Very interesting regarding the s2000 woofer. I live within an hour of the Sumas border crossing (with Washington). Could ship and hold state side maybe

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Our benevolent host does not permit links to other sources, but if the links are not to an item directly competitive to their products, they might let it slide. If they don't like it, they'll delete the links.

If you like building electronics and populating circuit boards, go for it. I'm not competent to judge those products.

Edit: the S2000 carbon fiber woofer is proprietary to DIYsg, no other source.

Leave a comment:

• ontariomaximus
    replied
    The S2000's look like a solid choice. We have built a ton down here in Windsor, ON and Jeff B's Tributes are really great! Consider them too.

Leave a comment:

• MrGarison
    replied
    There's still one rather special tool you might need, a circle cutting jig used with a plunge router, that's how the nice rebated driver holes are done. It's why a premade baffle is so attractive to many.

Paul Carmody's Speedster design has a ribbon tweeter, is available with or without flat pack, would fit your budget. Interesting speaker. Ooops, Canada, forgot.

Speedster - undefinition
    lol, getting the parts wont be an issue regardless. Just a tad more expensive, but all relative, what with free health care and all :P

I do like those. I think I like the s2000MTM's a tad more tho.

Check out the posted amplifier links if you have a sec

2. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...6ed21e98r2ikOQ

3. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LMJ-...4-0ded923c133a

I like the idea of being able to swap out components/caps by going with a kit/cheaper amp.
    Cheap Digital-to-Analog Converter, Buy Directly from China Suppliers:ES9038 ES9028PRO ES9018 DAC audio decoder Amanero USB interface Support DSD coaxial optical with Remote Control Shield USB cable Enjoy ✓Free Shipping Worldwide! ✓Limited Time Sale ✓Easy Return.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    There's still one rather special tool you might need, a circle cutting jig used with a plunge router, that's how the nice rebated driver holes are done. It's why a premade baffle is so attractive to many.

Paul Carmody's Speedster design has a ribbon tweeter, is available with or without flat pack, would fit your budget. Interesting speaker. Ooops, Canada, forgot.

Speedster - undefinition

Leave a comment:

• MrGarison
    replied
    Do you have access to tools to make your own cabinets?
    Yea, full woodshop and metal shop (pay monthly to access it). I have designed and built a few sealed and vented subwoofer enclosures before.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Do you have access to tools to make your own cabinets?

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Statements come in many sizes.

Speaker Design Works

Leave a comment:

• MrGarison
    replied
    Originally posted by technodanvan View Post
    I imagine any of your choices could play at 93 dB without much issue, but for the sake of completeness, what sort of amplifier and other gear do you intend to use with the system? You say you have a subwoofer that may or may not be used, what model is it?

Seven feet might be a little close to listen to the statements given the open back mids. I'm sure someone who is more familiar with them could weigh in.
    so, subwoofer is a Cambridge SoundWorks Basscube12S which keeps blowing caps (I'll get the O-scope out sometime soon :P).
    The amp is a Onkyo TX-SR503. Looks like its only 75 W/ch @ min 8 ohm, so I may just use it as the preamp.

Leave a comment:

• mikejennens
    replied
    Originally posted by MrGarison View Post

As for amp, I'm concidering buying an amp kit from AliExpress. Some cool ones on there. Any thoughts?
    You might want to consider an amp kit from PE. They have plenty and you get their guarantee and tech support. Nothing against AliExpress, but I know PE stands behind their products and offers great tech support.
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    No, haven't looked. If it's chipamps they are good for 4 ohms generally.

Leave a comment:

• MrGarison
    replied
    If your amp can handle 4 ohm loads, I would recommend the Paul Carmody designed S2000 MTM, from diysg. DIYsoundgroup. PE sells some of the kits from them, and I believe also sources some of their flat packs from them. They are just down the road in Cincinnati.

I am using S2000 TMs and one MTM for my downsized HT. You can buy the flat pack or make your own enclosure. All DIYsg kits come with a cnc'd baffle, which is very convenient. Excellent service. In your setup, these would need stands.
    I just read the thread about them. Very impressive.

As for amp, I'm concidering buying an amp kit from AliExpress. Some cool ones on there. Any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X