Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help change the life of a man in his quest for quality sound

Hello world!

I have been following several of the builds posted here and finally worked up the courage (realistically put aside procrastination), to ask you legends some questions.

--------
    A bit of background (please skip if you prefer), I have been installing audio systems in cars, homes, and boats as a side business for a couple years, and as a hobby for atleast 8 years prior.

My lust for quality audio has been a catch and release relationship over this time. I have installed some great sound systems (not to boast, but to build a comparison), and have sat intranced in the sounds of Pink Floyd's Dogs eminating from Focal K2's while the customer patiently waited for their car back.

I would later go home and "salk" over my dell speakers. As I am a young fellow (26), any money I have made doing this side work has been reinvested into the business and other investments. Maybe its time for my ears to receive some gratification outside of work.

----------

​​​​​​This leads me to the questions you so patiently have been waiting for. But first, more background/possibly necessary info:

​​​​​​Basic overview:

1. I live in an apartment with concrete floors, no one below, one person above, and one shared wall. The walls are separated, but sound can still travel a bit when about the 75 dB range. However, my neighbors are pretty cool so I'm not super concerned about complaints from vocal travel.

2. I listen to jazz, funk, soul, classic rock, electronic, hip hop, and so on. So a wide frequency range would be ideal

3. I have a Cambridge Audio subwoofer but rarely use it (as to not piss off the neighbors)

4. The listening position is roughly 7 feet from the speakers

5. I am okay with bookshelves or tower speakers
    6. I am interested in Ribbon Tweeters, although not a must have

7. Budget is around $600 canadian pesos

8. I like to build and troubleshooting electronics is apart of my job so totally pumped to build the crossovers and enclosures.

So far here are my top picks:

​​​​​​Statement's, Wolf Nephila's, and The Singularities.

I looked at the Nephila kit on Meniscus, but was not sure about the capacitors/inductors included, unless someone could quickly vouch for them, as I have read the choice in caps can have a noticeable effect on the RT-5002s. I am cool with buying the components individually. I found most of them on Solen, but lost my cart and would have to re-find them (face palm)

​​​​
    Actual Question:

1. What recommendations do you have regarding speaker designs/kits, keeping in mind I would love to play at 93 db sometimes ;)

​​​
    Thank you so much for taking time to read this and for any tips or answers you may have :D
    ​​​​​​

• djg
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post

I'm sure that was tongue in cheek, because I didn't spell it wrong. A nephila is a Golden-Orb Weaver species of spider, known for the golden webs they weave. Hence the name in reference to both color and sound. Just in case anyone else is wondering...

Later,
    Wolf
    Yes, I know you use obscure names, just joking.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    You spelled it wrong.
    I'm sure that was tongue in cheek, because I didn't spell it wrong. A nephila is a Golden-Orb Weaver species of spider, known for the golden webs they weave. Hence the name in reference to both color and sound. Just in case anyone else is wondering...

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• MrGarison
    replied
    Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post

MrGarison - I know most of this thread is about speakers, but if you are interested in DIY amplifiers that is less of a focus on this forum (although there is good info here) and more at diyaudio.com.

Those Hypex amps get great reviews but there a lot of other options too. Parts express sells a lot of amp boards that you can use. One new board that PE doesn't have yet is the TPA3255. Also, diyaudio.com has kits where you can build the amps by buying the PCBs and populating the whole thing. They have PCBs, Kits, etc. (I don't know a lot about the details, because building an amp is over my head, but I can see that they have a lot of valuable information and resources.)
    Thanks! Yea, I've been lurking around the 3255 threads. Overwhelming amount of information.

Leave a comment:

• a4eaudio
    replied
    Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
    Hypex Electronics. You will need to Google it as we can't link to anything that might be considered a competitor. Their modules are used in some very expensive esoteric gear.
    MrGarison - I know most of this thread is about speakers, but if you are interested in DIY amplifiers that is less of a focus on this forum (although there is good info here) and more at diyaudio.com.

Those Hypex amps get great reviews but there a lot of other options too. Parts express sells a lot of amp boards that you can use. One new board that PE doesn't have yet is the TPA3255. Also, diyaudio.com has kits where you can build the amps by buying the PCBs and populating the whole thing. They have PCBs, Kits, etc. (I don't know a lot about the details, because building an amp is over my head, but I can see that they have a lot of valuable information and resources.)

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

Fixed, there is only one I in there...

You spelled it wrong.

Leave a comment:

• MrGarison
    replied

Thanks for the support, djg!

MrGarison:
    Only things I can offer on sound differences are that these are really apples vs. oranges in style, type of design, and goals. Bookshelf vs. floorstander, TM vs. MTM, 4.5" vs. 6" drivers, etc. I'm guessing the sensitivity is about the same being an MTM on the smaller pair. While I know what I would pick, I am indeed biased, and it's ultimately your call.

Later,
    Wolf
    "SOLD, to the talking wolf!"

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    The Nephila I've never heard, Wolf's designs are well received.

Thanks for the support, djg!

MrGarison:
    Only things I can offer on sound differences are that these are really apples vs. oranges in style, type of design, and goals. Bookshelf vs. floorstander, TM vs. MTM, 4.5" vs. 6" drivers, etc. I'm guessing the sensitivity is about the same being an MTM on the smaller pair. While I know what I would pick, I am indeed biased, and it's ultimately your call.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Kornbread
    replied
    Hypex Electronics. You will need to Google it as we can't link to anything that might be considered a competitor. Their modules are used in some very expensive esoteric gear.

Leave a comment:

• MrGarison
    replied
    Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
    I would think the Statements might be a bit much if concerned about neighbors.

What about building a UCD or N-Core amp? World class performance.

I know you want to build the amp, but if you decide to go with factory stuff, some great gear can be found for about a third what it cost new at US Audiomart and Audiogon. You could also mod that stuff.
    What are these UCD and N-Core amps you speak of?

Looking into Audiomart and Audiogon now.

Leave a comment:

• Kornbread
    replied
    I would think the Statements might be a bit much if concerned about neighbors.

What about building a UCD or N-Core amp? World class performance.

I know you want to build the amp, but if you decide to go with factory stuff, some great gear can be found for about a third what it cost new at US Audiomart and Audiogon. You could also mod that stuff.

Leave a comment:

• MrGarison
    replied
    Same thing with 36V brick, free shipping (US) and a solid guarantee. Their only guarantee is that it's what they say it is, and that you receive it. Of course swapping chips voids that. The S2000s would be smaller and much easier to build. I built one MTM in 2 days with a painted baffle and danish oil birch flat pack.

The Nephilia I've never heard, Wolf's design are well received.

You know the chip amp power ratings are inflated.

SMSL SA-98E TDA7498E Stereo Amplifier 2 x 160W
    That's a good call, never saw it. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Same thing with 36V brick, free shipping (US) and a solid guarantee. Their only guarantee is that it's what they say it is, and that you receive it. Of course swapping chips voids that. The S2000s would be smaller and much easier to build. I built one MTM in 2 days with a painted baffle and danish oil birch flat pack.

The Nephilia I've never heard, Wolf's designs are well received.

You know the chip amp power ratings are inflated.

SMSL SA-98E TDA7498E Stereo Amplifier 2 x 160W

Leave a comment:

• MrGarison
    replied
    Okay. After literally days of research, these are my final options.

Question is, would the Nephila's or S2000MTM's work better for my situation?

Amplifier: (in case anyone is curious):
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-...3a043c00F5b4kv

Wrt the amplifier, I will probably change out the power supply to a variable one, something closer to 36Vdc. Also, likely changing out the internal opamp to BB2134.

Leave a comment:

• ontariomaximus
    replied
    Originally posted by MrGarison View Post

hey, which one's are the Jeff B tribute? I'm trying to find them
    here is some info
    https://app.box.com/s/1fnro0kvyekdl3drm0w1

Leave a comment:

Working...
X