• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4thtry
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    You aren't wasting any time are you?
    Wolf
    I'll be the 2nd one done so far. There was another design finished at MWAF.

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied
    Those are unique.

Leave a comment:

• AdamM3
    replied
    Are they stable on those stands, looks like a lot of overhang. Cool unique design.

Leave a comment:

• ugly woofer
    replied
    Nice driver combo. I vote for veneering the edges with something contrasting, and yeah it would be really difficult with the existing vinyl.

Leave a comment:

• carlthess40
    replied
    Where would you place these and how do they sound? Is it more of a rear or side speakers for a HT setup or a 2.0 setup and have them on with sides of the main wall? Very cool build with a lot of questions

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    Originally posted by humphreyblowdart View Post

I think he means Leonard Audio. This thread has some details.
    Thanks buddy. Tried to install LATL a couple of months ago, and failed. I'll give it another try.

Leave a comment:

• wogg
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    I think Bill is mandating room position, as you can't place them any closer to the front wall of the room.

However, I wonder what they would sound like and how they would perform in an upfiring Omni situ like Duevel's Planets.

Later,
    Wolf
    Plus you still get some boundary low end reinforcement from the rear port! That might be genius.

Bill 4thtry , you seem to be on a mission to minimize your baffles with your totally flat and this project. At some point I see you magically fabricating a single theoretical point source

Leave a comment:

• humphreyblowdart
    replied
    Originally posted by donradick View Post
    What's that "LA TL" program? Got a link?
    I think he means Leonard Audio. This thread has some details.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    I think Bill is mandating room position, as you can't place them any closer to the front wall of the room.

However, I wonder what they would sound like and how they would perform in an upfiring Omni situ like Duevel's Planets.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• wogg
    replied
    Awesome! Where to find a 3 foot deep bookshelf for those things? ;)

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    Originally posted by 4thtry View Post
    Greetings to all,

This will be my entry for InDIYana 2019. I'm calling them "The SideTowers," .......

This will be a ML-TL, so I modeled the line in 4 sections using the LA TL program. Without stuffing, the optimal position for the woofer was 4.5" down the line. I was going to place a small partition near the front of the line to create this 4.5" trap, but later on discovered that this was not needed. Simply stuffing the first 8 inches with 5.5 ounces of denim flattened out the 1st and 2nd line peaks considerably. And this 5.5 ounces only caused a loss at the main port resonance (Fb) of about 1dB.
    Inspiring design and build as usual!
    I've spent some hours in HornResp, but certainly I'm not an accomplished ML-TL modeler.
    What's that "LA TL" program? Got a link?

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    You aren't wasting any time are you?
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• 4thtry
    replied
    That is all I have time for today. I plan to run up a complete set of measurements with OmniMic and DATS V2 and will try to post these in the next few days.

Leave a comment:

• 4thtry
    replied
    I mounted the drivers and installed the xovers on a small board on the rear of the cabinets. As mentioned previously, the tweeter flange goes underneath the woofer flange, overlapping by approximately one inch. This reduces the center to center distance from 6.5 to 5.5 inches, thus helping to improve the vertical polar response pattern.

Right now I am debating as to whether or not I should finish and paint the exposed particle board edges and facets or do something else. Maybe I should line the entire baffle & faceted edges with a large piece of peel & slick felt material. Then cut a small hole in the felt just large enough to expose the corundum tweeter dome!

Leave a comment:

• 4thtry
    replied
    I lined the 8 inch area directly behind the woofer with 1/4" thick denim insulation. (Later on, I completely stuffed this 8 inch area with 5.5 ounces of denim batts.)

In preparation for gluing the top panel in place, I cut notches in two spacer boards for two long bar clamps and then placed the top panel on top of these spacers and clamps. I lined the top panel with 1/4" denim and then applied yellow glue to all the mating surfaces. Next I placed the box shell onto the top panel and let the yellow glue slowly meld into the particle board mating surfaces. I was careful not to let the glue squeeze out too quickly, as I wanted to give it a little time to soak into the wood. After a couple minutes, I checked the alignment and tightened all clamps up to a moderate pressure.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X