X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• augerpro
    replied
    Originally posted by Reigningchamp View Post
    Sorry, Its been a while since I've last posted here! Got way caught up with school but I found some time to obsess over the new design during the last couple of days. ggetzoff, nmu7, I'm in Canada and generally speaking most small and oddly specific diy parts available online carry huge shipping costs, though that waveguide does look interesting. I've found some stl files for mounting adapters for a couple peerless and scan-speak drivers here if you're interested. However, in the spirit of diy I've been working on designing my own waveguide instead! With some heavy design influence from augerpro's threads about waveguide design as well as some theory on constant directivity waveguides I've cooked up a model here. It's based on the sb26adc stac or cdc models. However I've not yet made accurate measurements for the thru-hole mounting diameters and the exact screw locations on the faceplate. Does anyone have access to a sb26 family of tweeter and would be willing to take some measurements for me?
    Use 1.3" for the throat. There are 4 screw holes on a 2.073" diameter circle.

Leave a comment:

• Reigningchamp
    replied
    Also regarding driver choice, the revolutions design from Jeff does look fantastic, however due to budget constraints I settled on either the sb26adc or sb26cdc (I have yet to decide, is the sb26cdc worth the price hike?) and a pair of Rival Acoustics R176-CW6 7" woofers I have lying around from my last build. Oh yeah, hence why the waveguide has a 7" diameter to match the woofer diameter just like the s400s. So I guess this build is more influenced by the idea and aesthetics of the s400s rather than a top-to-bottom clone using the same drivers.

Leave a comment:

• Reigningchamp
    replied
    Sorry, Its been a while since I've last posted here! Got way caught up with school but I found some time to obsess over the new design during the last couple of days. ggetzoff, nmu7, I'm in Canada and generally speaking most small and oddly specific diy parts available online carry huge shipping costs, though that waveguide does look interesting. I've found some stl files for mounting adapters for a couple peerless and scan-speak drivers here if you're interested. However, in the spirit of diy I've been working on designing my own waveguide instead! With some heavy design influence from augerpro's threads about waveguide design as well as some theory on constant directivity waveguides I've cooked up a model here. It's based on the sb26adc stac or cdc models. However I've not yet made accurate measurements for the thru-hole mounting diameters and the exact screw locations on the faceplate. Does anyone have access to a sb26 family of tweeter and would be willing to take some measurements for me?

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Supposedly the 29 was a drop-in for the Be, according to one of the articles/pages. I'm assuming the xover is different from Be to Mini though.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• ernperkins
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post

I believe there are 2 versions of this kit. One uses the SB ceramic 5", and the other uses the smaller Satori in about half the volume. They use the same SB Be tweeter.

Later,
    Wolf
    Or you can choose the less expensive ($511 less expensive) SB29SDAC instead of the SB29BAC Be tweeter. So there's a total of 4 possible versions. I don't know if there any crossover changes when you make the tweeter selection or if the SB29SDAC and SB29BAC are swappable w/o any changes.

Leave a comment:

• augerpro
    replied
    Originally posted by mmu7 View Post
    I ordered the WG 300 waveguide. I'm trying to pair it up with a tweeter.
    I'm thinking the Dayton Audio RST28F-4 could be a good option.
    FWIW, the S400 description says 3/4" tweeter, I'd bet it is the SB19ST. I imagine that small tweeter worked pretty well.

Leave a comment:

• BOBinGA
    replied
    On second thought, it does look like an SB17. My bad. I was thinking there was a round over on the front baffle, but it doesn't look like it.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by civit View Post
    Revolutions use the sb15 satori.

https://m.imgur.com/a/Uw9oHbC
    I believe there are 2 versions of this kit. One uses the SB ceramic 5", and the other uses the smaller Satori in about half the volume. They use the same SB Be tweeter.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• tom_s
    replied
    Originally posted by tom_s View Post

I'm also guessing the elaborate crossover they show is not what's actually in the S400.
    Serves me right - I was looking at the S300. I'm still skeptical there's that many crossover parts in the S300.

** I stand corrected. http://highfidelity.pl/@main-741&lang=en
    Last edited by tom_s; 12-07-2018, 06:44 PM. Reason: I was wrong....

Leave a comment:

• tom_s
    replied
    Originally posted by BOBinGA View Post
    Did I miss something? The Buchardt S400 uses an SB15NBAC30 - NOT an SB17. (Or at least its something that SB made for them. The pictures show a 145mm driver marking.) If you use an SB15, the Wavecor WG 148 R is almost a perfect match sizewise - 150 vs.148 mm.
    Their site says the box is 180mm wide. The woofers are almost to the edge - and they do say it's a 6" aluminum woofer. The SB17 measures 171mm in diameter.
    I'm also guessing the elaborate crossover they show is not what's actually in the S400.

Leave a comment:

• BOBinGA
    replied
    Did I miss something? The Buchardt S400 uses an SB15NBAC30 - NOT an SB17. (Or at least its something that SB made for them. The pictures show a 145mm driver marking.) If you use an SB15, the Wavecor WG 148 R is almost a perfect match sizewise - 150 vs.148 mm.

Leave a comment:

• Zach C.
    replied
    Originally posted by mmu7 View Post
    Thanks looks very similar but not identical to http://www.allaudioexpo.com/nav/details.asp?itemid=306 . Maybe I should order both and try to create a cad model for future reference.

Is there any further information on the Jeff Bagby revolution?
    That looks an awful lot like the horn zaph milled down here:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/Waveguidetmm.html

My recollection is that this also worked well with:

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...eter--264-1014

The face plate comes off that tweeter very easily with a little heat.

Can't remember who used the mcm and vifa together. Somebody around here does, surely.

Leave a comment:

• mmu7
    replied
    I ordered the WG 300 waveguide. I'm trying to pair it up with a tweeter.
    I'm thinking the Dayton Audio RST28F-4 could be a good option.

The WG300 waveguide has an outer diameter of 168mm
    The SB17NRXC35-4 woofer has an outer diameter of 159mm; pretty annoying since that leaves a 4.5mm visual difference in the diameter from the edge of the baffle.

Leave a comment:

• mmu7
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    That is a threaded mount horn for compression drivers.
    True but it's much cheaper and I think you can break off the threads and create a modifier piece to interface with a tweeter.

Probably much easier to get the WG 300 (it says it has a 38mm cutout), but the compatible driver is 30mm ~ 1 - 1/8"

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    That is a threaded mount horn for compression drivers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X