No announcement yet.

Buchardt s400 inspired bookshelves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, Its been a while since I've last posted here! Got way caught up with school but I found some time to obsess over the new design during the last couple of days. ggetzoff, nmu7, I'm in Canada and generally speaking most small and oddly specific diy parts available online carry huge shipping costs, though that waveguide does look interesting. I've found some stl files for mounting adapters for a couple peerless and scan-speak drivers here if you're interested. However, in the spirit of diy I've been working on designing my own waveguide instead! With some heavy design influence from augerpro's threads about waveguide design as well as some theory on constant directivity waveguides I've cooked up a model here. It's based on the sb26adc stac or cdc models. However I've not yet made accurate measurements for the thru-hole mounting diameters and the exact screw locations on the faceplate. Does anyone have access to a sb26 family of tweeter and would be willing to take some measurements for me?

Comment

Also regarding driver choice, the revolutions design from Jeff does look fantastic, however due to budget constraints I settled on either the sb26adc or sb26cdc (I have yet to decide, is the sb26cdc worth the price hike?) and a pair of Rival Acoustics R176-CW6 7" woofers I have lying around from my last build. Oh yeah, hence why the waveguide has a 7" diameter to match the woofer diameter just like the s400s. So I guess this build is more influenced by the idea and aesthetics of the s400s rather than a top-to-bottom clone using the same drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Reigningchamp View Post
        Sorry, Its been a while since I've last posted here! Got way caught up with school but I found some time to obsess over the new design during the last couple of days. ggetzoff, nmu7, I'm in Canada and generally speaking most small and oddly specific diy parts available online carry huge shipping costs, though that waveguide does look interesting. I've found some stl files for mounting adapters for a couple peerless and scan-speak drivers here if you're interested. However, in the spirit of diy I've been working on designing my own waveguide instead! With some heavy design influence from augerpro's threads about waveguide design as well as some theory on constant directivity waveguides I've cooked up a model here. It's based on the sb26adc stac or cdc models. However I've not yet made accurate measurements for the thru-hole mounting diameters and the exact screw locations on the faceplate. Does anyone have access to a sb26 family of tweeter and would be willing to take some measurements for me?
        Use 1.3" for the throat. There are 4 screw holes on a 2.073" diameter circle.
        ~Brandon 8O
        Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
        Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
        DriverVault
        Soma Sonus

Comment

Cheers augerpro. While I've got your attention what wall thickness for the waveguide have you found works out best structurally while not being overkill? Also what is the diameter of the faceplate mounting screws that they come with?

Comment

All my prototypes use a 1/4" wall thickness. I haven't looked any farther into it to determine if that is enough, since I'm still experimenting, but using the SLS nylon printing it is tough as hell and stiff right now. Using another print method maybe not so much.

I'm not sure what your asking about the screws? I don't use the faceplate or the screws with the waveguide.
            ~Brandon 8O
            Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
            Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
            DriverVault
            Soma Sonus

Comment

Okay I'll be going with PLA so I'll do some more research before I settle on a wall thickness. The mounting method I'm going with is essentially a new printed faceplate that then mounts up to the waveguide, so I was looking to reuse the threaded mounting screws that come with the faceplate. If you still have them by chance I just needed the size of the head, the length and the diameter.

Comment

where can i get info. on jeff bagby's revolution design?
                thanks,
                drmike

Comment

You can't really. It's a proprietary kit through Meniscus by Jeff Bagby.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Meniscus might be willing to give you some more info if you have a specific question.
                    I got to hear the kit at the last Meniscus get together and it sounded wonderfull to me. Great smallish speaker that did not sound small at all. I think it would sadisfy anyone looking in that price range.

Comment

Its build time! Started with 3/4" MDF as usual and got to gluing. Messed up one of the cabinets during gluing so the top is no longer level, this ones gonna need a lot of bondo.

Comment

Very nice! I got the Manacor waveguides in the mail, they were actually quite cheap and shipped from germany in a short amount of time. What does your crossover look like? Or have you not planned that yet.

Comment

Thats great, have you thought about how youre going to mount the tweeters to the guides? Actually I'm bi-amping these with ebay TPA3250 boards and a minidsp carried over from my last project. Should make it much easier to create a good crossover after the fact as I have no idea what the waveguides will do to the sound after I print and assemble everything

Comment

Hi,

i just joined, mainly because i am curious about how all your "S400" projects turn out so far.

I am in the planning phase on a built myself after i initially placed an order on a pair of S400's back in November last Year.
                            Then i started reading into DIY and after many many many hours of reading decided to build Jeff Bagby's Revolution Mini, the soft dome version with the Satori woofer.
                            I am very pleased with the results to say the least. They sound way bigger than what their physical size would suggest. My previous speakers were a pair of Focal CMS50 studio monitors and i must admit that i prefer the sound of the Revolutions.
                            After finishing the Revolutions and further delays in availability of the S400's i cancelled my order. However i really love the look of the S400, so decided to have a go at them from scratch.

Woofer: SB17NBAC35-8 with the SBA Passive Radiator
                            Tweeter: Monacor DT 300 with WG 300
                            The tweeter will be modded as per Troels recommendations (http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/C17_II.htm)
                            The enclosure will be made from 3/4 MDF finished with Walnut veneer. The initial design is just a square box as the physical alignment will be different, I'll have a look at this once i receive the drivers.

Attached is the frequency response from my initial take on the theoretical crossover.

Looking forward to read about all of your "S400" projects.

Comment

Originally posted by drmike View Post
                              where can i get info. on jeff bagby's revolution design?
                              thanks,
                              drmike
                              Jeff has posted some info in a Facebook Group.
                              I have build a pair based on that, however i ordered the crossover components from Mensiscus.

Comment

Nelson very cool. Unfortunately, I haven't made much progress.
                                I probably won't go with the same exact woofer: Still debating weather to go with the metal or poly woofers NAC vs MFC, there's a 10$ price difference between the two which is kinda substantial and the jury is out on which is objectively better, both could be well suited.

My only issue is crossover design. I'm not sure I really want to invest in measurement equipment, but might have to. But I have yet to find reliable data for SB19ST-C000-4 and the SB17MFC35-4. Not to mention, with the waveguide the SB19ST-C000-4 will have a modified response. However from http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ted-waveguides we have some intuition on the changes the waveguide will provide.

Also, I'm currently thinking there's no point in the slight 2 degree angle and also the flipped mounting of the waveguide and tweeter.

Comment

Working...
                                X