Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reigningchamp
    • Jun 2016

Buchardt s400 inspired bookshelves

So I recently stumbled across the Buchardt s400’s and wow are they gorgeous. Moreover the reviews say the they seem to be really impressive. Long story short I’m looking to build a pair of speakers of very close shape and size and I might even use the same woofers as those sb17 aluminum cones look fantastic. However, after some winisd modelling and comparing to the response graphs supplied by Buchardt, modelled sb17s in a cab of similar volume don’t dig as deep in the low end by a significant margin. What am I missing here? They’re using a passive radiator but from what i’ve read that should’nt have such a significant effect on the f3. Im fairly new to cabinet modelling and I’d greatly appreciate it if some of you guys could school me on what they could possibly be doing to reach an f3 of roughly 50 hz in an enclosure that seems to only be ~10l.
  • dcibel
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Jan 2010

Looks about right to me. I put SB17NRX2C35-4 in a 10L vented box tuned to 40Hz and got 54Hz f3, down to 51Hz when I increase to 11L. Can't tell you what you're missing until you show your cards.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

• fpitas
      Seasoned Veteran
      • May 2011

And from the frequency response shown here, the f3 is a bit above 50Hz. What do you think you're missing?

https://www.buchardtaudio.com/s400-d...d-description/
      Francis

Comment

• fpitas
        Seasoned Veteran
        • May 2011

They look easy enough to replicate. You'll need a suitable waveguide for the tweeter, and you'll need a suitable crossover to flatten the tweeter response, to take care of the rise near 1kHz caused by the waveguide.
        Francis

Comment

• isaeagle4031
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Jun 2008

Jeff Bagby has a design using the same woofer with a rear mounted PR and a higher end tweeter. I would personally take it over the s400.
          https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

• fpitas
            Seasoned Veteran
            • May 2011

Originally posted by isaeagle4031
            Jeff Bagby has a design using the same woofer with a rear mounted PR and a higher end tweeter. I would personally take it over the s400.
            That's very good advice. Jeff makes nice speakers, and unless you want to learn how to design (good) crossovers, that saves you the effort.
            Francis

Comment

• Chris Roemer
              Obsessed & Proud of It
              • Sep 2005

Check your volume "units" (liters vs cu.ft. makes a BIG diff. - like 28X!).

Comment

• Reigningchamp
                • Jun 2016

Thanks for the replies guys, guess I was just misreading the WINISD output. Eagle, fpitas, I’ll have a look for it, Jeff’s name carries some weight in the diy space so Ill consider his as well. Might go with a pair of Rival R176-CW6’s I have on hand instead and maybe the new sb ceramic cone tweeters. A quick question regarding ports in winisd: is the response graph given calculated with the volume loss of the port factored in?

Comment

• Chris Roemer
                  Obsessed & Proud of It
                  • Sep 2005

Nope, you've gotta do that.

Note: When you tell ISD that you want a vented box (for example), IT gives you its "best guess" recommendation, based on Qts, Fs, and Vas. That's its best guess as it pertains to interior box volume AND Fb (tuning freq. - which ultimately (along w/the box size and those 3 T/S parms) establishes F3). However; (AFAIK) it ALWAYS defaults to a 4.02" id port tube (which in metric is 102mm ??). That is NOT its recommended port diameter (which would be ridiculous for any driver smaller than 8")! It just defaults to it. It doesn't KNOW what dia. you'll ultimately use (and even if it did know the I.D., it wouldn't know the wall thickness - hence the O.D.) so it can't really calc. the volume used up by your port. Also, you COULD mount the entire port external to the box, right? So... just too many variables for it to take a wild guess. YOU have to make the wild guess.

Comment

• Papa Bear
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by isaeagle4031
                    What’s the name of that design? Google let me down. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• isaeagle4031
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Papa Bear
                      What’s the name of that design? Google let me down. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      The Revolutions
                      https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

• civit
                        • Nov 2013

Revolutions use the sb15 satori.

Comment

• ggetzoff
                          • Jan 2015

Reigningchamp,

I am also doing an S400 clone. Using this waveguide: check out this link, several dome tweeter / WG tests. I'm going to use this WG:

I'm not sure about the tweeter yet: maybe the D2604 or the Vifa DX25, or any number of SB tweeters.

I already have the SB17NAC woofers burning a hole in my pocket.

I'll be happy to collaborate with you on the project.

Cheers,

Greg

Comment

• mmu7
                            Been Around Awhile
                            • Mar 2018

Wow this is a great thread, I was also looking to replicate the s400 and amphion design aesthetics. Personally I read the reason for mounting the tweeter below and the 2 degree tilt, but I don't buy it. The amphion has a similar aesthetic with the more conventional top mount which I prefer and will try to have a go at. I'm also happy to collaborate and contribute to the effort.

Comment

• mmu7
                              Been Around Awhile
                              • Mar 2018

Is the Manocor waveguide the same as http://www.allaudioexpo.com/nav/details.asp?itemid=306 ?
                              https://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/...300+Wave+Guide is pretty expensive, but it's the only US retailer I can find.

Comment

Working...