• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nelsen
    replied
    Originally posted by mmu7 View Post
    nelson, very cool.
    Do you have any freq. response data for SB17NBAC35-8 ? Or did you just use the one posted on their website

Any additional mass on the passive radiator?And how are they sounding
    I am using the 4 ohm version to better match the sensitivity of the DT300 in combination with the waveguide.
    But i did find frd files for them via a google search, unfortunately i didn't save the link.

Sorry i forgot to mention this, yes 50 grams added as this gave the best modeled and measured results.

From what i can tell from a single speaker, they sound quite nice.

Leave a comment:

• mmu7
    replied
    nelson, very cool.
    Do you have any freq. response data for SB17NBAC35-8 ? Or did you just use the one posted on their website

Any additional mass on the passive radiator?And how are they sounding

Leave a comment:

• nelsen
    replied
    Just a little update from my project:

I semi finished the first cabinet to be able to get proper measurements for the crossover development.

The 2 degree angle was also neglected.
    I ended up having to use 16mm MDF as my local supplier didn't have any in stock and ordering it would have been substantially more expensive. The S400's original outer dimensions were kept, so i ended up with a slightly larger internal volume. The cabinet is fully treated with 3mm butyl aluminum sheets and 3mm self adhesive insulation foam(Dynaliner).

Attached is the measured frequency response with the test crossover. I'll get someone to check the impedance and phase response and if that's okay then i'll go ahead and order the XO components.

The woofer runs on a 4th order and the tweeter on a 3rd order with and L-pad to level it down to the woofer.
    I'll post final pictures once completed.

Leave a comment:

• mmu7
    replied
    Nelson very cool. Unfortunately, I haven't made much progress.
    I probably won't go with the same exact woofer: Still debating weather to go with the metal or poly woofers NAC vs MFC, there's a 10$ price difference between the two which is kinda substantial and the jury is out on which is objectively better, both could be well suited.

My only issue is crossover design. I'm not sure I really want to invest in measurement equipment, but might have to. But I have yet to find reliable data for SB19ST-C000-4 and the SB17MFC35-4. Not to mention, with the waveguide the SB19ST-C000-4 will have a modified response. However from http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ted-waveguides we have some intuition on the changes the waveguide will provide.

Also, I'm currently thinking there's no point in the slight 2 degree angle and also the flipped mounting of the waveguide and tweeter.

Leave a comment:

• nelsen
    replied
    Originally posted by drmike View Post
    where can i get info. on jeff bagby's revolution design?
    thanks,
    drmike
    Jeff has posted some info in a Facebook Group.
    I have build a pair based on that, however i ordered the crossover components from Mensiscus.

Leave a comment:

• nelsen
    replied
    Hi,

i just joined, mainly because i am curious about how all your "S400" projects turn out so far.

I am in the planning phase on a built myself after i initially placed an order on a pair of S400's back in November last Year.
    Then i started reading into DIY and after many many many hours of reading decided to build Jeff Bagby's Revolution Mini, the soft dome version with the Satori woofer.
    I am very pleased with the results to say the least. They sound way bigger than what their physical size would suggest. My previous speakers were a pair of Focal CMS50 studio monitors and i must admit that i prefer the sound of the Revolutions.
    After finishing the Revolutions and further delays in availability of the S400's i cancelled my order. However i really love the look of the S400, so decided to have a go at them from scratch.

Woofer: SB17NBAC35-8 with the SBA Passive Radiator
    Tweeter: Monacor DT 300 with WG 300
    The tweeter will be modded as per Troels recommendations (http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/C17_II.htm)
    The enclosure will be made from 3/4 MDF finished with Walnut veneer. The initial design is just a square box as the physical alignment will be different, I'll have a look at this once i receive the drivers.

Attached is the frequency response from my initial take on the theoretical crossover.

Looking forward to read about all of your "S400" projects.

Leave a comment:

• Reigningchamp
    replied
    Thats great, have you thought about how youre going to mount the tweeters to the guides? Actually I'm bi-amping these with ebay TPA3250 boards and a minidsp carried over from my last project. Should make it much easier to create a good crossover after the fact as I have no idea what the waveguides will do to the sound after I print and assemble everything

Leave a comment:

• mmu7
    replied
    Very nice! I got the Manacor waveguides in the mail, they were actually quite cheap and shipped from germany in a short amount of time. What does your crossover look like? Or have you not planned that yet.

Leave a comment:

• Reigningchamp
    replied
    Its build time! Started with 3/4" MDF as usual and got to gluing. Messed up one of the cabinets during gluing so the top is no longer level, this ones gonna need a lot of bondo.

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied
    Meniscus might be willing to give you some more info if you have a specific question.
    I got to hear the kit at the last Meniscus get together and it sounded wonderfull to me. Great smallish speaker that did not sound small at all. I think it would sadisfy anyone looking in that price range.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    You can't really. It's a proprietary kit through Meniscus by Jeff Bagby.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• drmike
    replied
    where can i get info. on jeff bagby's revolution design?
    thanks,
    drmike

Leave a comment:

• Reigningchamp
    replied
    Okay I'll be going with PLA so I'll do some more research before I settle on a wall thickness. The mounting method I'm going with is essentially a new printed faceplate that then mounts up to the waveguide, so I was looking to reuse the threaded mounting screws that come with the faceplate. If you still have them by chance I just needed the size of the head, the length and the diameter.

Leave a comment:

• augerpro
    replied
    All my prototypes use a 1/4" wall thickness. I haven't looked any farther into it to determine if that is enough, since I'm still experimenting, but using the SLS nylon printing it is tough as hell and stiff right now. Using another print method maybe not so much.

I'm not sure what your asking about the screws? I don't use the faceplate or the screws with the waveguide.

Leave a comment:

• Reigningchamp
    replied
    Cheers augerpro. While I've got your attention what wall thickness for the waveguide have you found works out best structurally while not being overkill? Also what is the diameter of the faceplate mounting screws that they come with?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X