Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

2.1 Amp - Dayton or Lepai

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.1 Amp - Dayton or Lepai

I'm looking for an inexpensive 2.1 amp for the garage system. Looking at the Lepai LP210PA or the Dayton DTA2.1BT - anyone with some experience with both amps that would recommend one over the other in regards to sound quality and reliability?
    See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

I bought and tested the Lepai LP210PA unit before it was available at PE. I found its performance underwhelming at best, especially the distortion in the 2.0 outputs. There's a reason why you don't see any distortion specs in it's description (and why it's setting in my desk drawer). I don't have any experience with the Dayton DTA2.1BT2 (notice I'm referring to the new version), but it appears to be a much better design and has published distortion specs. IMO it would be worth the additional cost.

The problem I have with both of them is the lack of a high pass filter on the main outputs. To me it's just as important to keep the low bass out of the (usually small) 2.0 speakers as it is to have the low bass sent to the subwoofer. I recently purchased the MCA2250E 2.1 plate amplifier and am bench testing it. It has a published fixed high pass @ 150 Hz on the 2.0 outputs, but I measured the F3 to be 85 Hz which is more reasonable to me. So you might consider it if a plate amplifier fits your needs. Hope this helps.
    "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

I bought this for my PC 2.1. It has a quality feel. The controls allow quite a bit of adjustment. It does not high pass the satellites. I have replaced it with a Dayton 250DSP sub amp and a SMSL chip amp. This setup is ideal, but not cheap. Nobsound has bluetooth units also if you need that. I still use the Nobsound for my bedside 2.1.

Between your two, I would take the Dayton. Read the ad copy on that, it seems the controls are mislabelled, at least as I read it.

PE sells a tiny 2.1 plate amp that does have a satellite high pass, not big watts. Pretty low price.

Comment

Originally posted by ernperkins View Post
        I bought and tested the Lepai LP210PA unit before it was available at PE. I found its performance underwhelming at best, especially the distortion in the 2.0 outputs. There's a reason why you don't see any distortion specs in it's description (and why it's setting in my desk drawer). I don't have any experience with the Dayton DTA2.1BT2 (notice I'm referring to the new version), but it appears to be a much better design and has published distortion specs. IMO it would be worth the additional cost.

The problem I have with both of them is the lack of a high pass filter on the main outputs. To me it's just as important to keep the low bass out of the (usually small) 2.0 speakers as it is to have the low bass sent to the subwoofer. I recently purchased the MCA2250E 2.1 plate amplifier and am bench testing it. It has a published fixed high pass @ 150 Hz on the 2.0 outputs, but I measured the F3 to be 85 Hz which is more reasonable to me. So you might consider it if a plate amplifier fits your needs. Hope this helps.
        Hi, I want to buy the dayton 2.1 plate amp but reading somewhere that the fullrange highpass is about 80 hertz like you mentioned. Do you know if there is a highpass on the sub channel. I need to know because I want my sub go down to 25 hz.

Thanks a lot 😃

Comment

Yes, there is a a highpass on the sub channel and it's down quite a bit at 25 Hz. The first attachment is the pre-amp's sub output in the "no boost" and "boost" switch positions. I was surprised to see some boost even in the "no boost" position. The second attachment is the sub amplifier's output at various frequencies. I modified the amplifier to make the sub's output more to my liking, but it involved replacing SMD caps and resistors which isn't in everyone's comfort zone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Preamp Sum, No Boost  and Boost Responses.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1401267Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub Reponses.jpg
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1401268

Comment

Here's the same two measurements after my mods.

Name:	Mod Sub Reponses.jpg
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	1401271

Name:	Mod Preamp Sum, No Boost  and Boost Responses.jpg
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1401270

Comment

Very nice, Ed! Is this the Dayton 2.1 you modded or the Lepai plate?

Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

The Dayton 2.1 plate amp, MCA2250E. I was thinking of starting a measure/mod thread on it, but decided it would have limited appeal since it involves soldering SMD components. At least they were 0805 size and not smaller.

Comment

Thanks for the info, so if I want output to 25 hz this amp is not a good choice?

Comment

I measured (and modded) the Dayton amp in this thread. Bass at 20 hz is only down about 1.5 db and is flat at 30 hz. The new version on PE's website is exactly the same except the sub channel now has an adjustable LP to cut highs from the woofer.

Comment

Looks like the Chinese tpa3116d2 (like you mentioned) wich you helped me to mod. I have built a boombox with the tpa3116d2 and it works all fine, except the battery so I had to break it open. I have a W6-1139SIF that I don't use so a While ago I was thinking of making a 2.1 system with it. Now I have saved some money and are looking for a amplifier.

the dayton mca2250e looks good but have a highpass at 40hz (I want to tune the box at 30hz).

the Dayton SA70 have a -1.5 db at 30hz and is only a sub amp.

so I tought maybe the tpa3116d2 is a good choice because of the highpass on the sub, it's 2.1 channel and it's cheaper.

What is the best choice the Dayton 2.1 (with tpa3116 chip) or the tpa3116d2 wich I already have modded in the past.

I am looking for a 80hz low pass on the sub because I read everywhere it's best for 2.1 use at home.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ernperkins View Post

I'm currently exploring the 2.1 amp options and was trying to find the THD values for the LP210A and that's how I found this thread. I find it interesting though that you state that it does not have a high pass filter. The description states it has a fixed 100 Hz 6 dB/octave high pass filter. I wasn't sure if you were using a pre production model that didn't have this feature or maybe in your testing you found that it doesn't actually work? Also what power supply were you using?

Comment

Working...
                        X