Help with school speaker project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with school speaker project

Hello all, I am making a bluetooth, battery powered speaker system for a school project and need some help choosing parts. It will consist of 2x 4.5 speakers, 2x 1.5 inch tweeters and 7 inch woofer. My teacher has suggested I use the Dayton Audio KAB-250A 2x50W Class D Audio Amplifier Board with Bluetooth 4.0 but I have no idea what else needs to with it.
    Any help appreciated!
    Thanks

Could be an odd assortment of drivers. What are they? Do you have a box design?

Comment

As for the amp, I have read the Dayton 2x50 amp board is detuned quite a bit, resulting in less output than the 2x30 board, so I’d recommend the 2x30. I have the 2x50 and it is otherwise fine. Good accessories available for those Dayton boards and the Bluetooth connectivity is a sinch.

Heres the link fwiw: http://projectgallery.parts-express....ects/3-0l-r-t/

Comment

Originally posted by jmc735 View Post
        Hello all, I am making a bluetooth, battery powered speaker system for a school project and need some help choosing parts. It will consist of 2x 4.5 speakers, 2x 1.5 inch tweeters and 7 inch woofer. My teacher has suggested I use the Dayton Audio KAB-250A 2x50W Class D Audio Amplifier Board with Bluetooth 4.0 but I have no idea what else needs to with it.
        Any help appreciated!
        Thanks
        Before everybody just hands you everything, do you mind if I ask what your assignment is and what you're supposed to be learning? What is the class and what grade level? If your project is wood-working and the main focus is on the cabinet, then I think we can all gladly hand over the "technical" design details. If you're working on a project that is supposed to be focused on the electronics or acoustic design, then let us guide you and let you learn, instead of just handing you the information. I hope I don't sound like a jerk, but I have a passion for teaching and helping others learn (as I think we all should on here), and I'd hate to just do your work for you and you not actually learn anything.

Comment

If the 7' woofer is a single, wouldn't you want a 2.1 amp instead of just a 2.0 channel one? Something like this perhaps:
          https://www.parts-express.com/tps311...e-con--320-635
          -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
          My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
          The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Originally posted by 1100xxben View Post

Before everybody just hands you everything, do you mind if I ask what your assignment is and what you're supposed to be learning? What is the class and what grade level? If your project is wood-working and the main focus is on the cabinet, then I think we can all gladly hand over the "technical" design details. If you're working on a project that is supposed to be focused on the electronics or acoustic design, then let us guide you and let you learn, instead of just handing you the information. I hope I don't sound like a jerk, but I have a passion for teaching and helping others learn (as I think we all should on here), and I'd hate to just do your work for you and you not actually learn anything.
            It is a Senior High School project. It not about choosing the parts but more the process of putting it all together so you won't be spoiling too much for me. I appreciate your concern though!

Comment

Originally posted by jmc735 View Post

It is a Senior High School project. It not about choosing the parts but more the process of putting it all together so you won't be spoiling too much for me. I appreciate your concern though!
              What class is your project for?

Do you already have drivers picked out? If not, I think you would be better off going with just a 2-channel, 2-way proven design. That way you can focus on putting it together instead of designing a passive crossover, which is an entire project by itself for someone with no speaker design experience.

Comment

Originally posted by 1100xxben View Post

What class is your project for?

Do you already have drivers picked out? If not, I think you would be better off going with just a 2-channel, 2-way proven design. That way you can focus on putting it together instead of designing a passive crossover, which is an entire project by itself for someone with no speaker design experience.
                It is for a class called Systems Engineering (I live in Australia) and the project goes towards by final score for high school. My teacher is pushing hard for everyone to be very ambitious with their projects. At the very least I would like a system with 1 tweeter, a speaker and a subwoofer.

Comment

Hello, could you please share your final results of the project? I usually take project ideas for my classroom from the MIT resources: Highlights for High School > Engineering > Audio and Speaker Electronics > Projects. I teach Audio and Speaker Electronics to high school students. Their last task was based on the electronic drum kit with Arduino Mega2560. Now, as my students do their tasks at home and then upload their homework online (we use Moodle), I need some ideas for building a speaker at home (I will need to give clear instructions).

Comment

Working...
                  X