RST28F in a Visaton waveguide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RST28F in a Visaton waveguide

I have never opened a tweeter before (removing the faceplate).. I'm afraid springs will fly everywhere in the room.. lol

I have both square and round Visaton waveguides that I would like to use with the RST28F, do I need to remove the faceplate? mesh screen also?

By removing the faceplate, can I mess up the alignment of the diaphragm or something?

Thanks!

You can pop it apart easy as pie, (and you can put it back together easier than a pie) I mistakenly thought the
    mesh was glued in place but it also comes right off. Keith Etheredge designed and "clamp"
    mounting system for the round Visaton guide.
    Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

What is the model number of the square guide?
      Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Never mind. NICE! https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...UaAsvqEALw_wcB
        Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Thanks for the info xmax!

Comment

I did make a basic clamping system for the RST28 in the circular visaton waveguide. Used scrap plywood, 8-32 all thread rod, and some nylon lock nuts. Just needed to make a template to line up the center hole of the waveguide with the tweeter's fabric dome, then drill some holes into the mounting flange on the visaton. Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
            Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
            Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
            The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
            SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax
            The Defiants - InDIYana 2019 "Bare Minimum" Build

Comment

Keith that is excellent - are you doing a new project? Ever since reading about John Marsh's Modula XT and then reading about DanP 's Boxers design, I hope to try a waveguide project in the near future. Oh and also seeing augerpro 's extensive testing of the elliptical waveguides as well.

Comment

Thank you for this Keith, that is very inspiring for my project.

Have you measured the RST28F with the guide?

Comment

Thanks Scott and Audiotorium! There's always been a project of some kind in the works. This little waveguide adventure might become part of an InDIYana 2019 entry. I have not measured the frequency response yet, but it's on my to-do list. I have a 17x18 piece of MDF that has been asking to become a test baffle for this tweeter. That should give me good results down to ~750 Hz or so... certainly low enough to measure the response through the pass-band of the driver without extra wiggles from diffraction.

Now if I could only get my day job and social obligations to calm down for a bit! Hard to carve out enough time to make MDF dust without having to rush it along. I do not rush with power tools!

Comment

Does the RST28F fit the visaton waveguide without modifications to the waveguide? The hole is the right size?

Comment

Originally posted by civit View Post
                      Does the RST28F fit the visaton waveguide without modifications to the waveguide? The hole is the right size?
                      The hole in the visaton waveguide is big enough to get the dome and the little roll surround into the throat and have maybe 1 to 0.5 mm of clearance, but you have to remove the wire mesh grill that comes on the RST28. The problem becomes actually attaching the tweeter to the waveguide. The WG itself comes with 4 holes and press-fit threaded inserts, but I don't think they match up with the mounting holes on the RST28's flange. Beyond that... including the RST28's flange will set the actual dome of the tweeter further back into the waveguide than you want, which probably isn't going to be good for the performance. All of those reasons are why I decided to make a clamping cup and hold the tweeter against the waveguide from the back side.

Comment

Keith is just drilling 4 holes in the Visaton (on the back flange), I will stick it in a baffle and measure it today or tomorrow.
                        Guess xmax's age.

Comment

I believe those Visaton waveguides have a 38mm opening, which is the same as the SEOS-8 that was designed for the original RS28 tweeter.

I made a similar mounting flange that Keith posted and it worked fine for mounting the new RST28 to the SEOS-8.

Keith, I like how you rounded in the flange where the wires go to the terminals. I just drilled larger holes for the wires to go through, but your idea looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by Erich H View Post
                            I believe those Visaton waveguides have a 38mm opening, which is the same as the SEOS-8 that was designed for the original RS28 tweeter.

I made a similar mounting flange that Keith posted and it worked fine for mounting the new RST28 to the SEOS-8.

Keith, I like how you rounded in the flange where the wires go to the terminals. I just drilled larger holes for the wires to go through, but your idea looks good.
                            Thanks Erich! I'm one of those over-engineered types A 2" hole saw is all I used to make those wire clearance radiuses (as well as the center hole). Everything else was jasper jig with router and drill press.

Comment

I guess the tweeter to waveguide joint would need to be caulked to prevent leaks?
                              Plumbers putty maybe..

Comment

Working...
                              X