Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simming the Samba

So, I just simmed the Samba "kit"...

and what I see is the woofer w/about 2dB of BSC (85dB to about 83dB near 1kHz), then a new RSTF tweeter that's running at approx. 87dB in the top 2 octaves (>5k).
    Has anyone heard these yet?
    I THINK I'd probably pad the tweeter another -6dB.
    Thoughts?

(edit - following day)
    Not sure why, but after bumping up the Dayton Audio curve (PDF graph data - from DA site) approx. +3dB, the sim (woofer mostly) correlates MUCH better with the published sim.
    Now it looks like full (or nearly full) BSC was used (+5-6dB), and that the tweeter is padded in line with the revised woofer SPL (within a dB or so, anyway).
    Last edited by Chris Roemer; 12-07-2018, 02:26 AM. Reason: after further investigation

Tango, Samba, cute. Apparently not a Bagby design.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
      So, I just simmed the Samba "kit"...

and what I see is the woofer w/about 2dB of BSC (85dB to about 83dB near 1kHz), then a new RSTF tweeter that's running at approx. 87dB in the top 2 octaves (>5k).
      Has anyone heard these yet?
      I THINK I'd probably pad the tweeter another -6dB.
      Thoughts?
      Chris,

Take a look at the last page in the manual for the actual measured response of the system (in case you hadn't). I had to add padding to the tweeter twice to get it to a level that I liked and the end result was very nice to the ears. I noticed my sims (XSim) for this design were quite a bit different than measured responses, specifically in the top end. This was listened to by several people here off and on for a month or so before released. Even in a relatively "hot" room these did not sound harsh or bright on the top end at all, even at high levels.

Your results may vary.

Comment

I didn't realize the rs180P produced so much bass. The 270P as well seem like good woofers for efficient full range systems.

Comment

I do not use/have an Omnimic, but . . .

does it always use 2.83v to gather SPL data, or 1 w? If I add (about) +3dB to PE's .zip'd data FR files, then I get close to the online spec of about 91dB for the 180P-4.
          When you look at the .zip'd FR plot (the .pdf), there's really no way you could look at THAT plot and call it 91dB, but 88 looks feasible??
          What do you think Matt?

Comment

Chris,

We use 2.83v/1m. I have attached the in-box measurements used for this design if you are interested.

Woofer frd.frd
            Tweeter frd.frd
            Tweeter.zma
            Woofer.zma

Edit: Here is the final sim I came up with:
            Attached Files
            Your results may vary.

Comment

This design looks familiar
              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I'm curious why the OP feels it's necessary to sim and post questionable data against others' designs. I seem to remember Dave measured New Horizons and NanoNeos and found that the designers published data that was only sims and they didn't properly take care of BSL. Hmmm?
                Craig

Comment

thanks matt

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                    Tango, Samba, cute. Apparently not a Bagby design.
                    Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                    This design looks familiar
                    Meh. Tango tweeters were NLA and we didn't have a kit that used the RSP woofers yet so...enter Samba. Chris P came up with the name, he didn't like my idea for "Electric Slide"..
                    Your results may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by mattp View Post
                      Chris P came up with the name, he didn't like my idea for "Electric Slide"..
                      hmmm...seems like the kit naming should remain Chris' responsibility!

Comment

Is PE going to update the Aviatrix?

Comment

Originally posted by mattp View Post
                          Chris,

We use 2.83v/1m. I have attached the in-box measurements used for this design if you are interested.

Woofer frd.frd
                          Tweeter frd.frd
                          Tweeter.zma
                          Woofer.zma

Edit: Here is the final sim I came up with:
                          How are you getting 92dB at 100hz after BSC? Does your measurement include some bass reinforcement from the room? What is the true sensitivity of the woofer at 200hz measured half space? If it's 95 or 96dB, I might want a pair.
                          Last edited by rpb; 12-08-2018, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Let me first say that simulating someone's speaker project is how I've been trying to teach myself how to learn to simulate a project and be confident of my results. So far i'm not very good at recreating anyone's simulation to my satisfaction. In this case, using the posted FRD/ZMA I get pretty close, but I have to reverse the polarity of the tweeter.

I'm seeing the measured woofer file show a 93 db peak at 1-2k on the baffle, which looks to be 1-2 db greater than the rest of the measured response, so this appears to be 90-91 db as measured in the box.
                            The tweeter measures at 86-87 db at 10k.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X