Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

"Tube Amp" Headphone Amp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, my amp and preamp are covered, the ST35 has a perf metal cover so you can see inside a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post
      BF, if would please enlighten me: What constitutes a good SS amp?
      IMO what constitutes a good amp is transparency, as in the old saying 'a straight wire with gain'. Doesn't matter if it's tube, SS, Class A, A/B, D or whatever. If you're a devout minimalist and believe the fewer parts the better you may think that nothing else approaches the supposed sonic purity of a 3 watt SET into a single driver. I lean more towards Duke Ellington's philosophy, that if it sounds good it is good.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

My pet theory as to why transistor amps used to be inferior to tube amps has to do with crossover distortion. Early class AB transistor amps did not generally do a good job controlling output stage bias under varying conditions. As time went on, clever designers developed schemes to better control bias, but the damage was done, and tube amps developed a mystique. The ultimate has to be class A, with no crossover distortion, but practically speaking modern class AB transistor amps are fine for anything except perhaps horn drive, where you're only using maybe 10mW of average power.
        Francis

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
          IMO what constitutes a good amp is transparency, as in the old saying 'a straight wire with gain'. Doesn't matter if it's tube, SS, Class A, A/B, D or whatever. If you're a devout minimalist and believe the fewer parts the better you may think that nothing else approaches the supposed sonic purity of a 3 watt SET into a single driver. I lean more towards Duke Ellington's philosophy, that if it sounds good it is good.
          Can you give your definition of "transparency" in terms of quantitative specifications pertinent to amplifiers?

Comment

Working...
          X