Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Windows 10 v1809, DATS v2 issue?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 v1809, DATS v2 issue?

Have any of you run into problems using DATS v2 on a Windows 10 PC that you've upgraded to v1809 (the so-called "October Update" from earlier this year) ?

DATS v2 used to work fine on one of my PCs, until I rebuilt it with the latest version of Windows 10. The issue seems to be that DATS uses the generic USB driver, and v1809 sets the default input sampling rate (at least on my PC) to "1 channel 16 bit, 16000 Hz (Tape Recorder Quality)", which basically breaks DATS, which needs that to be set to "2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)".

Two other PCs that I have that are running earlier versions of Windows 10 (v1803) are not impacted, and DATS works vine on them.

Brian Steele
    www.diysubwoofers.org

Win "upgrades" (which I don't even want) seem to screw with my DATS all the time.
    Can't you just go in and reset to 2 ch, 44.1k?

Comment

Trying to reset it doesn't work. The dialog box closes and an error is recorded in the event log with the following information:

Faulting application name: rundll32.exe_shell32.dll, version: 10.0.17763.1, time stamp: 0x9816818b
      Faulting module name: mmsys.cpl, version: 10.0.17763.1, time stamp: 0x7c8ce9d3
      Exception code: 0xc0000005
      Fault offset: 0x0000000000009974
      Faulting process id: 0x2328
      Faulting application start time: 0x01d494212cb1f5ca
      Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
      Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\mmsys.cpl
      Report Id: ae4ac048-d278-4c8f-9474-f82da740f394
      Faulting package full name:
      Faulting package-relative application ID:

This is a fresh installation of Windows 10 v1809, so I doubt that there's anything else going on here but Windows. I'll be trying the drivers from v1803 on the PC a bit later today to see if that addresses the problem.
      Brian Steele
      www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Consider running a separate stable Win7 platform work horse for the lab work and CAD work disconnected from the WAN connected network, and external sources of malicious activity and malware.
        "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
        of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
        - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
        A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
        (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

Originally posted by JRT View Post
          Consider running a separate stable Win7 platform work horse for the lab work and CAD work disconnected from the WAN connected network, and external sources of malicious activity and malware.
          Whoa, that's stepping back way, WAY too far, LOL. Ain't no way I'm going back to W7 unless I really need to, and certainly not on a 2-in-1 PC that can convert to a tablet. If push comes to shove, I'll rebuild the PC with Windows 10 v1803, which I know DATS works with because I've tested it with v1803 on other PCs.
          Brian Steele
          www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Won't work with any of my win 10 machines. Although they say it is possible.
            Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

I bought DATS v2 with 2.1.1 software a while ago, and just hooked it up last night. despite all the proper settings, it doesn't seem to send or receive signal. My initial assumptions are that it has to do with my other audio drivers on my system or the driver specific to the DATS USB codec.
              Attached Files

Comment

here's some more pictures
                Attached Files

Comment

I've got even more but I'm not gonna flood the thread with them.

Comment

Personally, I have always hated DATS (v1 and v2), I get inconsistent results from PC to PC and that is when it is working.
                    After the last Win10 update, no audio settings seem to make it work again.

At this point I am hoping another company will make a similar product that is much more reliable, and soon!

Comment

ah, leave it to me to resolve my issues right after complaining about them. So, here's what I did. I plugged in my DATS system and unplugged my external audio interface before booting. Booted up and went straight to my sound settings, making sure all settings were correct, then opened up DATS. It may have just been the on/off cycle in general or the plugging in before boot. I'll do a bit more testing to nail it down but I got it working on the latest win 10 update.

Comment

I see people are using it with "wine" on mac, I'm gonna try that...
                        I really like the DATS unit, it's the only way to easily do what it does
                        for a great price!
                        Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Originally posted by hardcorecap View Post
                          . I'll do a bit more testing to nail it down but I got it working on the latest win 10 update.
                          Are you sure that's the October 2018 update version of Windows 10?
                          Brian Steele
                          www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

I run auto updates so it should be the latest greatest. One other tip i found combing the web is to make sure that apps have access to your microphone. This can be found in settings under privacy iirc. You can't give DATS specific privileges to the mic but it's more of a general umbrella option

Comment

Originally posted by hardcorecap View Post
                              I run auto updates so it should be the latest greatest. One other tip i found combing the web is to make sure that apps have access to your microphone. This can be found in settings under privacy iirc. You can't give DATS specific privileges to the mic but it's more of a general umbrella option
                              Auto-updates doesn't necessarily install the new editions, like v1809. My main PC is set to auto-update and it's still a v1803 for example.

Best way to find out is to open a command window and enter "ver". For Windows Pro v1809, the version listed will be 10.0.17763.194

Brian Steele
                              www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Working...
                              X