No announcement yet.

Windows 10 v1809, DATS v2 issue?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I've confirmed that it's an issue with Build 1809, and provided some feedback to MS about it - https://aka.ms/AA3ms0y

I haven't experienced that problem with earlier builds of Windows 10. DATS v2 works fine on them, once the USB AUDIO input and output settings are set correctly (in particular, the input channel should be set to "2-channel, 16-bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)".

Ideally though the DATS software should check for things like this and report an error if the settings are not what they need to be for the software to function properly.

For now though, IF YOU ARE USING DATS ON A PC RUNNING WINDOWS 10, DO NOT INSTALL BUILD 1809...
    Brian Steele
    www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

It looks as if I don't have the 1809 version. Thanks for the heads up.
      Attached Files

Comment

Interesting. I just did a clean install, and my version is 10.0.17763.253. I have not attempted to install DATS yet, have you heard whether this build addresses that issue?
        You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Version 10.0.17763.253 is Build 1809 of Windows 10. Plug in the DATS hardware and check to see what it defaults to for the input settings under the "Sound" settings.

I recently discovered that the DATS hardware can be used by REW to do impedance measurements and, unlike the the case with the DATS software, you can change the sampling rate used for testing in REW. However I haven't tested this under Build 1809 yet because I've had no need to so far.
          Brian Steele
          www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Dang. I get a dialog box that says the port is in use by another application, continuing may cause the application to stop working. I say continue anyway, and it closes the settings box. Open the settings again, and it's right back to tape quality. Boo.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

LOL - exactly the same thing that happened to me. See if you can get the DATS hardware to work with REW. I started another thread showing how to do it, but it's for an earlier build of Windows 10.
              Brian Steele
              www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Instead of the low level complaint, mine says clipping encountered. It threw a bunch of complaints at me, actually, can't remember them all (it was last night, and I gave up without writing any of it down), but no useful measurement, in multiple tries. This sucks.☹

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Oh well. On the bright side, as you've just rebuilt it, you've got practice rebuilding it. Just find a build older than Build 1809 . I was able to get one from the office, so I got lucky I guess.
                  Brian Steele
                  www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Sorry you guys are having issues using DATS. The only issue I have encountered using DATS with Windows 10 build 1809 was the permissions error that I posted a solution for in a previous thread.

Try checking your permissions for the mic. You can find them by searching privacy in the start menu, and then finding microphone in the left hand side of the window. You can check out this video if you can't find the settings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDe1P03mDBI

I have seen this issue before with the Omnimic. Hopefully it helps you! I don't know what else could be causing your issues.
                    Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
                    Instead of the low level complaint, mine says clipping encountered. It threw a bunch of complaints at me, actually, can't remember them all (it was last night, and I gave up without writing any of it down), but no useful measurement, in multiple tries. This sucks.☹
                    I'll do my best to help you and anyone else out if you try again and can give me some more details / screenshots. Let's turn that frown upside down!
                    Computer Engineering Intern @ Parts Express

Comment

Hmm.....

I'll let Mark try out that fix on his 1809 build before I upgrade my PC to that build .

Brian Steele
                      www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

For the bug from the first ver of the Oct update, the formsthat looks like this woudn't work:

a fix I founds is to instead get to the "Sounds" form (on my Win10 machine, I can right-click on the speaker icon to see a click link for that, but on other machines other means might need to be found). That brings up a **similar** form like this one:

and settings made to the Properties of the USB "Microphone" (DATS or Omnimic) on that form will take hold and work.

[Edit: it looks like if you use the Windows 10 "Type here to search" thing, and search for "Sounds", and then choose "Sound" in what pops up, it will take you to the form that actually works right.

Hope this helps
                        Free & Free-form simulator/designer for Passive Crossovers
                        SynergyCalc 5: design spreadsheet for Wooden horns and DIY Synergy Waveguides
                        Super easy and cheap to make high performance sound diffusers

Comment

Bill's fix worked. Right click the speaker icon, then sounds, then proceed as normal (2 channel 16 bit 44100Hz CD quality level 1) and it sticks from there. Why? I dunno. But it works.

Thanks guys. appreciate the help.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Working...
                          X