Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Rss390-HF Or Wait for RSS390-HO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rss390-HF Or Wait for RSS390-HO

was about to pull the trigger on two RSS390-HO but just my luck out of stock till march-- Wanted to build two 4FT3 ported subs tunes to 17/18HZ. Only other option for what i want to spend right now is RSS390-HF but unsure of its application- Looking for aid in deciding

From what I recall, the HF needed a larger box, but you should be ok in 4 cubic feet. Don't quote me on that though, model it if you can and see if it works.

Comment

If you're going that LARGE, I'd prefer the HF anyway. In 4cf tuned to 17Hz, it should sound way stronger in the 30-40Hz range.

Comment

Originally posted by Remy.Alexander View Post
        Looking for aid in deciding
        Have you software modeled the two drivers? That's all the aid that you should need. The results in the same box with the same tuning are quite different. The deciding factor should be the cabin gain corner frequency of your room.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I agree, model them. Nothing at all wrong with the HF.
          Francis

Comment

The HF has a two layer voice coil in theory it will likely be more linear than the four layer coil in the HO.

In practice though you would have to measure...…

Comment

Not just in theory^ after a lot of listening tests we came to the conclusion the HF sounds a little more
              "musical", just a touch faster or more responsive. If you mostly listen to hip hop or electronic music
              you might like the HO better.
              Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Unibox model using one Dayton RSS390HF-4 woofer and one RSS460-PR passive radiator, with PR moving mass increased to 1.1_kg, in 150 liters with no fill and no leaks, with flat 34.65_V-rms input (400_W entered into the model, resulting in flat 49_V-peak input).

Two of these with 1000_W each should provide plenty of headroom without clipping.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ScreenCapture2.gif Views:	1 Size:	256.6 KB ID:	1397744

Click image for larger version  Name:	PR Response Dayton_RSS390HF-4.gif Views:	1 Size:	17.6 KB ID:	1397741
                Click image for larger version  Name:	PR Excursion Dayton_RSS390HF-4.gif Views:	1 Size:	17.1 KB ID:	1397742

Click image for larger version  Name:	PR Impedance Dayton_RSS390HF-4.gif Views:	1 Size:	14.2 KB ID:	1397743
                "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
                of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
                - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
                A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
                (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
                  Not just in theory^ after a lot of listening tests we came to the conclusion the HF sounds a little more
                  "musical", just a touch faster or more responsive. If you mostly listen to hip hop or electronic music
                  you might like the HO better.
                  I mostly listen to electronic music, but the HFs do a great job. Friends always comment how clean the bass is.
                  Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

I mostly listen to electronic music, but the HFs do a great job. Friends always comment how clean the bass is.
                    They are both great, it's hard to find better performing subs!
                    Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Working...
                    X