Vintage inspired DIY designs??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage inspired DIY designs??

Maybe a stupid question but how come there's not more diy designs based on classic commercial offerings like the Yamaha ns1000s or jbls or advents. Big woofer 3 ways,
    Carbon13

Funny, I was just scheming up an idea to make a classic three way similar to a JBL L166. I know someone who has a pair and they sound excellent. Great idea, by the way...

Comment

Other than this forum and some Japanese collectors there's not that much interest in big 3 ways.
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
        Other than this forum and some Japanese collectors there's not that much interest in big 3 ways.
        Why is that? I mean with real speakers, not the mainstream high tech "capsules" of convenience many opt for today. Are they just too big? IRRC Paul C said he prefers a good 3-way to a 2-way and sub. That resonated with me. I'm not fan of subs for music.

Comment

With modern drivers you can get bass performance of some of the vintage speaker in a small cabinet.
          You don't need that big three way to get to 40 Hz.
          Big speakers take more time to build and try to fit in your room.
          Narrow baffles subjectively offer better imaging.
          I can build and keep more stand mount two ways than 3-way towers.
          My friends want smaller speakers.
          It's a great fun to build a small 2-way speakers that sounds better than my brother's vintage speakers.
          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Here are a couple former Speaker Building Design Team projects that would fit the bill....

http://projectgallery.parts-express..../the-vintages/
            http://projectgallery.parts-express....ects/indium-7/
            Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon13 View Post
              how come there's not more ...Big woofer 3 ways,
              Remotely placed subwoofers have rendered big woofers, and the problems attendant with using them, unnecessary.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                With modern drivers you can get bass performance of some of the vintage speaker in a small cabinet.
                You don't need that big three way to get to 40 Hz.
                Big speakers take more time to build and try to fit in your room.
                Narrow baffles subjectively offer better imaging.
                I can build and keep more stand mount two ways than 3-way towers.
                My friends want smaller speakers.
                It's a great fun to build a small 2-way speakers that sounds better than my brother's vintage speakers.
                Excellent points... I'll just add -- though it was somewhat covered by point #5, and even in point #6 depending on the quality of the spousal relationship...
                "Most wives usually don't want a big 3-way speaker in the living room."
                I bet a lot of wives would think they look too 70's/80's -- possibly linking them to the stereo racks with 'click to open' glass doors of that era.

And as much as I do really dig them for nostalgia's sake, I don't know if I'd even want a pair in my main living area. Man cave though, yes.
                TomZ
                *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3W_Classic_Jan.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	1397895Click image for larger version

Name:	diysg titans.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	1397896 Troels has a few "classic 3 ways" designs. IIRC, his first was a Seas 3 way of reasonable size, 8" woofer that needs stand mounting. I know that diysg has considered such a kit, using a 10" to 15" woofer. Diysg has a rather large HT 3 way, with horn loaded midrange and tweeter exposed above a bass bin. Wretched excess, still designed to use with subwoofer(s).

70's speakers had vinyl and FM sources, reel to reel for the audiophiles. They didn't have to deal with the bass content of modern media, which is best served by separate subs with their own amps. Seems to me anyway.

Zaph designed a huge SB Acoustic 3 way, kits are available.
                  Last edited by djg; 12-21-2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I'm going for a classic vibe with some of my builds, just BIGGER! More to come Click image for larger version

Name:	F town.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	599.1 KB
ID:	1397872
                    Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                      Remotely placed subwoofers have rendered big woofers, and the problems attendant with using them, unnecessary.
                      True, but it sure is nice to have the option of driving a pair off of any two channel amp. I made the mistake of giving my 17 year old son a 600 watt 15 inch theatre sub for his bedroom setup, and he seems to think that every watt should be used at all times. Glenn.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon13 View Post
                        Maybe a stupid question but how come there's not more diy designs based on classic commercial offerings like the Yamaha ns1000s or jbls or advents. Big woofer 3 ways,
                        They are heavy. While you build them, each time something gets re-positioned, it's a workout.
                        They are heavy, and can mash your fingers while doing the above, or strain your back.
                        They require a bigger table saw, and more wood / materials.
                        They are 3-ways, which puts complexity into play for some builders.
                        They cost more. It's true that cheaper drivers can be used, but newer drivers can be lower in distortion than the larger ones.

Comment

The OT has been well answered by the issues of size, complexity, WAF and cost being objectional to many builders. I've built and heard many different designs around smaller two and three ways and much prefer a system with mid-efficiency 15" woofer positioned close to the floor in a BR tuned below 30hz. I think it comes down to room integration and having the woofer close to at least one boundary and will site Roy Allison's work as a reference. A small stand mounted woofer will have a 100-200hz reflection such out. I know many people claim not to be able to hear that but I just as soon not have to make that argument.

That being said, when people hear my systems they either love them or hate them. That's why manufacturers make so many different models. One size doesn't fit.

Comment

I built the SpeakerBuilder Lyra design a number of years ago. 10" 3-way used in the garage system. It was intended as a modern take on the old, large 3-ways from the vintage era.
                            I eventually added a 12 sub and took the low end duties away from it, the system sounds great for that environment.
                            Andy.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. All makes sense. I've been really into vintage turntables and receivers the past few years, so most of my listening is 2 channel. I know many collectors of vintage gear swear by these big woofer designs which is what prompted my question.
                              Carbon13

Comment

Working...
                              X