No announcement yet.

Good Budget Turntables ≤$200

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might check Saturdayaudio.com in Chicago. They have the Music Hall you ordered, may have used as well, but their on line listing is not complete.
    They have been around quite a while. I have not purchased from them, but I did visit the store. They knew I was not there as a buyer, and still spent a lot of time with me. The guy I was talking to was an amateur builder himself. Seemed liked good people.

Comment

Saturday audio has been around forever. IIRC, I was on their mailing list. They used to send out an inventory list w/prices once every 3 months way back before the internet came to town.

Should clarify the fact that I currently have a TT and it is one of those $10 Technics djg mentioned. Seriously. Retired it several years ago when realizing it was probably harming the vinyl.

From time to time a table finds its way to fbmarketplace or CL but the are almost always junk. Oddly enough, in the past I have found several of the old (50's era?) full size Victrola at local flea markets for very reasonable prices, some in excellent condition. Those things are works of art. Which once again brings up the time factor; with lots of overtime and college classes, there is simply no time to just drive around hitting flea markets. Will be through with college this Fall ... huge stress reliever! Don't know if I'll ever read another book again.

I've had a small collection (<300 albums) that started when a local flea market wound up with what looked like a school's music library. Lots of red dogs, mostly classical, some jazz, all in very good condition. Made an offer to buy the entire lot, but as luck would have it, had to make an emergency trip and spent the next couple months in an out of state hospital with our son. Upon returning, the entire lot was gone.

Bought a few records last night. Nothing collectible and the price was high. Probably not buying from this guy again.

Jethro Tull, Stormwatch - Not familiar with this album but have Songs From the Wood and like it.

Foghat - The one with I Just Want to Make Love to You, classic.

Deo, The Last In Line - The album takes me back to younger days.

Led Zeppelin, The one without a label, has Stairway to Heaven, gotta have that.

Van Halen, Van Halen - Jamie's Cryin, Ain't Talking Bout Love, back when David L. Roth was still with them.

Van Halen, 1984 - Man, this album brings back memories of a young punk kid having a good time and trying to get ... um ... women.
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

It was a $10 TT because that's what I listed it at.

Comment

When I decided to buy about 2 years back, I found a refurb Teac TN-300 on the 'bay for 179. When they first came out, there were apparently some issues with wow and flutter that were resolved later in the run - but it caused the value to tank; and the cost of refurbs was nice and cheap. I've had zero issues with mine, and it lets me easily scratch the itch when there's vinyl I want to play...

edit - certified refurb, to be clear...

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
            Saturday audio has been around forever. IIRC, I was on their mailing list. They used to send out an inventory list w/prices once every 3 months way back before the internet came to town.

Should clarify the fact that I currently have a TT and it is one of those $10 Technics djg mentioned. Seriously. Retired it several years ago when realizing it was probably harming the vinyl.

From time to time a table finds its way to fbmarketplace or CL but the are almost always junk. Oddly enough, in the past I have found several of the old (50's era?) full size Victrola at local flea markets for very reasonable prices, some in excellent condition. Those things are works of art. Which once again brings up the time factor; with lots of overtime and college classes, there is simply no time to just drive around hitting flea markets. Will be through with college this Fall ... huge stress reliever! Don't know if I'll ever read another book again.

I've had a small collection (<300 albums) that started when a local flea market wound up with what looked like a school's music library. Lots of red dogs, mostly classical, some jazz, all in very good condition. Made an offer to buy the entire lot, but as luck would have it, had to make an emergency trip and spent the next couple months in an out of state hospital with our son. Upon returning, the entire lot was gone.

Bought a few records last night. Nothing collectible and the price was high. Probably not buying from this guy again.

Jethro Tull, Stormwatch - Not familiar with this album but have Songs From the Wood and like it.

Foghat - The one with I Just Want to Make Love to You, classic.

Deo, The Last In Line - The album takes me back to younger days.

Led Zeppelin, The one without a label, has Stairway to Heaven, gotta have that.

Van Halen, Van Halen - Jamie's Cryin, Ain't Talking Bout Love, back when David L. Roth was still with them.

Van Halen, 1984 - Man, this album brings back memories of a young punk kid having a good time and trying to get ... um ... women.
            If you can find it, the 2 LP set Jethro Tull's "Living in the Past" is a great collection of really nice early live and studio stuff. Also, it's a great advertisement for the joys of LPs: solid cover, really nice packaging and 24 pages of great colour photos - none of which you get if you buy the CD, plus the CD omits three tracks for space reasons.

This applies to other CD issues, too: for example, the various CD re-issues of The Beatles' 'white album' don't include the frame-able photos, Dark Side of the Moon on CD is missing its 2 posters and Santana's 'Abraxas' missed the poster, too.

If you're prepared to spend the time and wade through the swamp of TV hits, Des O'Connor and other awful music in thrift and charity shops, you can get some real bargains - as well as some duds.

In all fairness, there are some LPs which are a bad advertisement for the format: think some recent Hendrix LP issues which stretch out 70 mins of music on 2 LPs, three or four tracks per side with a large price tag.

Happy turntabling

Geoff
            Last edited by Geoff Millar; 01-15-2019, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vinyl Fetish.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1400734

Comment

!!

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw yesterday, two guys looking at a record player, one says "I love the expense and inconvenience of vinyl"

Seriously, I like CDs, vinyl and even cassettes, as long as the music is good, but I haven't bought a new LP in years as they're far too expensive. Example: George Harrison's 'George Harrison' is A$45; 'Kind of Blue' is A$40. In each case, the CD with extra tracks is A$20....

Geoff

Comment

LOL!!! That's good!! I'm sure my wife would concur that I have a vinyl fetish but she's probably glad it's not that one...maybe I should check just in case...
                  Carbon13

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
                    !!

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw yesterday, two guys looking at a record player, one says "I love the expense and inconvenience of vinyl"

Seriously, I like CDs, vinyl and even cassettes, as long as the music is good, but I haven't bought a new LP in years as they're far too expensive. Example: George Harrison's 'George Harrison' is A$45; 'Kind of Blue' is A$40. In each case, the CD with extra tracks is A$20....

Geoff
                    I remember the cassette days, you keep em'.

If that is an old 78 it will break the first time she hits him with it.

If it's a newer mass market 33 1/3 it's as flimsy as a piece of notebook paper. Not going to do much.

An old RCA Red dog would make a good pop when it hit.

Is there a better option?

I'm thinking the tonearm might work better.

Comment

I remember the cassette days, you keep em'.

If that is an old 78 it will break the first time she hits him with it.

If it's a newer mass market 33 1/3 it's as flimsy as a piece of notebook paper. Not going to do much.

An old RCA Red dog would make a good pop when it hit.

Is there a better option?

I'm thinking the tonearm might work better.

A 16rpm transcription disc, as used by the BBC in the 1950s, might do the trick.

The best turntable I owned was a British Connoisseur BD2a, really simple, manual with great sound from a "Supex" SMM cartridge with elliptical stylus. The Supex was a low output moving magnet cartridge which at the time had by far the best sound for the price.

Unfortunately, its suspension system caused trouble over time and I sold it when it carked it and I couldn't get the parts. Of course, years later people realised how good they were and started making replacement parts and refurbishing these turntables.

Geoff

Comment

Name:	What a collection.jpg
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	1400842 .

Comment

I'm terrible with becoming drawn into deciphering the manner in which something is constructed and forgetting what it's all about. This hobby is yet another example as more time is spent building another set of speakers, or in the latest case, a tube preamp, than is typically spent just sitting back with an enjoyable drink, reading an album cover, and enjoying the music.

Comment

I'm terrible with becoming drawn into deciphering the manner in which something is constructed and forgetting what it's all about. This hobby is yet another example as more time is spent building another set of speakers, or in the latest case, a tube preamp, than is typically spent just sitting back with an enjoyable drink, reading an album cover, and enjoying the music.
                            Good point, but if new speakers etc make the music more enjoyable for whatever reason, it's worth it.

So, I've been very happy to spend $ and time on new DIY speakers from which I get more enjoyment out of our collection, but would not spend anything on stuff like oxygen free speaker cables or $150 capacitors, or organic water or whatever as I don't think I would hear a difference, if indeed there was a difference.

Geoff

Comment

You guys have been encouraging me to hit the thrift stores in search of a good turntable. As luck would have it, we got the weekend off, which gave me a chance to get some homework finished and part of a day for me time.

Well, I can honestly say there is exactly 1 turntable within an 80 mile round-trip of my home. It wasn't a keeper.

But I did score some vinyl at the local flea-markets and Goodwill. If Goodwill was a little closer I'd be hitting it at least once a week.

This stuff may not be collectors items but for $<40 there's some good music in the stack ... and that's not all of them. I love finding the old cloth like binders containing multiple albums and their story book. In this one the pictures are printed on different paper and pasted onto the story pages, the vinyl looks like brand new. Kool!

Name:	IMG_0335.jpg
Size:	716.9 KB
ID:	1400990

Name:	IMG_0337.jpg
Size:	682.2 KB
ID:	1400991

Comment

Some nice stuff there!

Those old EMI/HMV and the RCA Red Seal albums had very nice sound and the packaging of the HMV box sets was good: sturdy boxes, heaps of info and photos etc.

All that for $40, value!

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                                X