Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Planar Tweeters in WGs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planar Tweeters in WGs

Has anyone experience or ideas regarding using Planar tweeters in waveguides? I'm thinking of trying this tweeter:

https://www.parts-express.com/bohlen...ducer--264-752

in about a 4-8" deep wg flaring from the rectangular tweeter face to a circular or oval mouth of about 12" - 16" to take advantage of its midrange capabilities. At present this is vaguely speculative.

I tried a similar combination a few years ago, but with a shallower guide and a HiVi tweeter with less range. It produced an acceptable sound but nothing unusually interesting. Perhaps the better tweeter and a deeper giide have some potential. I may use this tweeter and guide with the NE265W-08 or the NE315W-08.

Thanks in advance for ideas, suggestions and observations.

Why would you want the diaphragm to be located behind the woofer? It's not like you need the sensitivity boost at the low end of the range with the woofers you mentioned.
    The closest to this situation I've been exposed to was the Planar 1 and Planar 2 from CSS and the Beyma TPL150H. Those units all came with their own guides. And the big Planar could easily cross as low as the BG Neo8.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Thank you Pete. Good point regarding the depth, I put 4-8" in speculatively, but could easily make it match the woofer cone depth. I use wgs primarily for directivity, and have found making them deeper seems to help with clarity by reducing room cross talk. In the past using too shallow wgs has been disappointing. I'd like to find guidelines that clearly layout wg depth relative to effective frequency response, but haven't seen much that does this yet, particularly for midrange. Perhaps you know of a source. As I wrote above, this is all speculative, any ideas, concerns and suggestions are appreciated.

Comment

I'm thinking of trying this tweeter:
        ....... neo 3 is a tweeter neo 8 is a good midrange & with a bit of work you can expect eg

Comment

Originally posted by brianbe View Post
          I'm thinking of trying this tweeter:
          ....... neo 3 is a tweeter neo 8 is a good midrange & with a bit of work you can expect eg
          Outstanding! Please share at least a pic of the WGs you used for this result.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by TN Allen View Post
            Has anyone experience or ideas regarding using Planar tweeters in waveguides? I'm thinking of trying this tweeter:

https://www.parts-express.com/bohlen...ducer--264-752

in about a 4-8" deep wg flaring from the rectangular tweeter face to a circular or oval mouth of about 12" - 16" to take advantage of its midrange capabilities. At present this is vaguely speculative.

I tried a similar combination a few years ago, but with a shallower guide and a HiVi tweeter with less range. It produced an acceptable sound but nothing unusually interesting. Perhaps the better tweeter and a deeper giide have some potential. I may use this tweeter and guide with the NE265W-08 or the NE315W-08.

Thanks in advance for ideas, suggestions and observations.
            Have you seen this one?
            https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...6-ohm--275-087

Comment

Please share at least a pic of the WGs you used

sorry no WG my point was that with larger woofers a tweeter won't do
              here's pics in any case of the speaker in question Volt BM2500 - original BG Neo 8 - SB tweeter for the top octave only

Comment

I played around with the Dayton H110 waveguide and a Hygeia RT-5002 AMT, and the "planar nature" of the AMT diaphragm (well really, the aperture), lends itself well to boosting up the low-end sensitivity if the magnet strength is up to par.

Nice low-end boost without too much loss of top-end. Just make sure you very tightly match up the waveguide throat to the aperture of the driver as closely and consistently as you can. The overall response ends up smoothing out just a teensy weensy bit.

Comment

Thanks guitar maestro

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                  "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                  SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                  My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I decided to try the HiVi tweeters in guides. What is the conventional orientation of the tweeter long axis, vertical, horizontal, at an angle?

Comment

Not with a planar, but use an AMT type in a dipole waveguide on this project:
                        Segues Crossover layout – final published.pdf Designer: Dan Neubecker Project Description The Segue name symbolizes this design in that the design segues between sealed and open baffle…
                      Dan N.

Comment

Originally posted by TN Allen View Post
                        I decided to try the HiVi tweeters in guides. What is the conventional orientation of the tweeter long axis, vertical, horizontal, at an angle?
                        When you consider the dispersion of the diaphragm you don't need much of a guide above and below the ribbon element (steeper walls).

This is what I have in mind for the AST2560 if we ever get the chance. 8.5W x 6.5H x 1.5D

Click image for larger version  Name:	AST2560 guide.jpg Views:	1 Size:	25.7 KB ID:	1401145
                        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                          X