Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

No compromise center channel.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xmax
    started a topic No compromise center channel.

No compromise center channel.

I don't know exactly know the best way to go about it, but here is some ideas.
    My 2 trains of thought, 1 no concern for matching voicing to "mains"
    because a well designed speaker, is a well designed speaker,
    or 2 If using multiple tweeters, just the mid bass and tweet the same
    as mains in type only.

Coaxial (the obvious first thing that comes to mind.)

Using like 5 robust tweets like the RST28 for a very low Fc.
    (maybe in a slightly curved array)

Using a wide rectangle or elliptical guide or even horn for low Fc.

Horizontal line array like design either with full range or tweet on top
    with very small high quality drivers.

• xmax
    replied
    I have the GRT145 and 8BG51 and the RSS265HFs laying around...

Leave a comment:

• xmax
    replied
    New TB W6 Coax is looking pretty good so far...
    Some kinda weird 3rd order stuff, the usual coax upper wrinkles,
    but not nearly as bad as some. 2K LR4 seems no problemo
    (I'm using active LR4 for this sweep). Click image for larger version

Name:	TBC.png
Views:	1
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	1399656

Leave a comment:

• civit
    replied
    Originally posted by andy19191 View Post
    No compromise rules out 2 ways and if you are limited to 6" or so high then that rules out a 3 way with a tweeter above a midrange leaving a tweeter+mid coaxial with 2, possibly 4, small woofers on either side as the configuration to consider.
    I went up to 7.5" high or so and you have options here - nice 68-72mm tweeter and a 3.5ish" midrange. OR, use a morel mdm55 or whatever, although this won't go as low as you'd want ideally, it has output for days.

Leave a comment:

• andy19191
    replied
    Originally posted by xmax View Post
    Coaxial (the obvious first thing that comes to mind.)
    No compromise rules out 2 ways and if you are limited to 6" or so high then that rules out a 3 way with a tweeter above a midrange leaving a tweeter+mid coaxial with 2, possibly 4, small woofers on either side as the configuration to consider.

Leave a comment:

• devnull
    replied
    I know you like FaitalPro drivers. I'd like to see something with a few 5FE120s, don't know what your tweeter choice would be. Or for more of a full range speaker 4FE32 or the 4FE35 if you can tame the 8k peak it has. I've been thinking about a MTM center channel with 5FE120s and a Morel CAT308. I think that they'd voice nicely with with my current build, FaitalPro 8PR200 with CAT378.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    I have a box of NSBs and a bag o' Onkyo buyout tweeters if you want to make one.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    It's not just sensitivity, it's also timbre and the inherent difference between point and line sources. By pairs I mean midbass and tweeter.

Leave a comment:

• xmax
    replied
    Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
    That's what I've had for roughly 12 years. It was the only configuration that would keep up with my line array mains in sensitivity and output, and by using the same drivers timbre is the same as well. I wouldn't recommend one if you don't have line array mains, though, as then they wouldn't be able to keep up with the center.
    If one was able to adjust for sensitivity, do you still feel a horizontal LA
    is a bad choice to "mate" with other types of mains?
    And what do you mean by pairs?

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    That's a six driver pair version. It can be made with nine driver pairs as well. They're not pro-sound drivers, they're inexpensive 4 inchers. I made mine with 'NSBs', for those who remember that far back.

Leave a comment:

• civit
    replied
    Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
    That's what I've had for roughly 12 years. It was the only configuration that would keep up with my line array mains in sensitivity and output, and by using the same drivers timbre is the same as well. I wouldn't recommend one if you don't have line array mains, though, as then they wouldn't be able to keep up with the center.
    Is the HT center array on your website (and pictured in post #25) the array you refer to? 8 pro midranges and 8 tweeters?

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Originally posted by civit View Post
    Honestly a passive cbt array would probably be best if you want big time output

Leave a comment:

• filmslayer
    replied
    Lol , autocorrect sucks

Leave a comment:

• filmslayer
    replied
    What my measurements showed was the mtm were close enough together that it worked as a single point source . The link underneath pic is of that build thread , XO and on/off axis measurements are in there
    Last edited by filmslayer; 01-03-2019, 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• xmax
    replied
    Originally posted by filmslayer View Post
    in some what of the same attempt at no compromise i built this beast to match both mains and surrounds .... Click image for larger version

Name:	rspcc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	1399293

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-rs-p-wmtmw-cc
    Do you feel your Fc's are low enough to subdue any comb filtering or the dreaded sideways
    MTM dispersion? What are the Fc's? And I should have mentioned; perhaps any designs we post
    should have parts list and XO schematic for easy reference?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X