Need Help with Scott Sehlin's Lithium Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with Scott Sehlin's Lithium Build

(First: I'm new to speaker building/design)

I'm in the midst of building Scott's Lithium Speakers.

It's a small speaker and the way I'm currently building the cabinets, I'll only get one try to build the crossover before its permanently glued/fixed in the cabinet.

So I built the cabinets, double taped the baffle to the enclosure, fished the speaker wires through the port so I can attempt some measurements and external crossover build/test.

Generally, my response is similar to Scott's measurements (included below) from say 300hz at up.

Scott's:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Scott's Measurements.JPG Views:	2 Size:	87.8 KB ID:	1400224

However, I have a MASSIVE bump in my response from 300hz down - and I can't for the life of me figured out why.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_77447.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	1400225

Assuming I had messed up in my measurements, I've tried doing the following:
    1) Tooks ND105-4 measurements from Parts Express Website
    - The measurements show a rising low-end response
    2) I modeled low-end response using Jeff Bagby's Frequency Response Modeler
    - The Response Modeler indicated a 1db bump between 100hz to 200hz (due to a small cabinet)
    3) I merged 1 and 2 above and adjusted for diffraction (again using the spreadsheet above).
    4) I then simulated Scott's crossover with the above measurements and - surprisingly - the simulation exactly matched my measured response.

My next step was to see what the transfer function looks like - I've included that as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Transfer Function.JPG Views:	1 Size:	128.6 KB ID:	1400222
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_77451.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	1400223
    At first, I thought maybe I have a defective woofer - but I compared my measurements with the modeled response using the manufacturer's files and Mr. Bagby's spreadsheet - and the response in reasonably close.

The comparison included below (blue = mine, red = manu) :
    Click image for larger version  Name:	My Measurements vs Manufracturer's (Diffraction Adjusted).JPG Views:	1 Size:	154.4 KB ID:	1400221

I know I must be doing something very simple wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.

Happy to upload my measurements files if anyone needs them.

Comment

Is your measurement "gated" (doesn't seem like it)?
      Are you measuring "near field", or from at least 20" - 40" away.
      If you measure "far field", with these on stands, away from walls, the rise should go away (if it's from BSC).
      Your XO is most likely OK.

Comment

Chris, Measurements were from Far field - gated. I then merged near field response and adjusted for baffle step. When playing music - I can hear the bump (maybe because it’s in my head now from looking at the measurements - but also because it’s 6 dB bump). Per the transfer function - it appears there is nearly 12db attenuation between 150hz and 1,100Hz. Assuming the driver is nearly flat (based on mine and manufacturer’s measurement) between this range - does this amount of attenuation seem reasonable? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did you (box) model YOUR woofers' (actual T/S parms) in the Lith cab? You could probably make the vent longer to reduce a hump.
          You need a "few" dB just to flatten the "rise" (from 600 / 1200 or so), then 6dB more (if full BSC), then another -6down at the 2.5k Fc.
          So... doesn't really seem TOO out of line. Like you say, your ears are now possibly over-sensitive to the sim your eyes have seen !

I'm not real great at doing the 300Hz near-far "merge" myself (when a vent is involved), but I was thinking... plug the port and measure the woofer near, then again w/the port open and compare the box model of closed and vented (with your actual box volume) to help guide you in your port output "splice" at 300 (or whatnot).

Comment

Working...
          X