Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

New circle jig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New circle jig

I saw a new (I think) circle jig in several different places. Made by Milescraft. It says it can do diameters from 1.5 up to 52 inches, so it looks good for speaker building use. You can set any measurement you want continuously, its not stepped like the Jasper jig. I haven't used it, but at $40 it might be worth trying. I won't link it because of the policies on this board but it should not be hard to find.

Nice looking jig, and a decent price, a bit cheaper than the Jasper jig.
    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

You mean this?

CircleGuideKit router guide, has two jigs that allow you to cut circles from 1.5” to 52” in diameter. Includes a BONUS Offset Base for finishing edges!

Comment

Sears sold a similar guide.
        Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
        DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
        Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

I got one of those on closeout right before christmas, have not used it yet though. Seems to be well made. I even bought a dedicated router just for it so I don't have to remove it to do other things with the router.
          I 'll post up when I use it and get a feel for how it operates. Sometimes you need better than 1/8" resolution.
          TomZ5
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

re: resolution
            Def need better than 1/8" resolution. I"m sometimes chafing at the 1/16" resolution of the Jasper jig.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I bought one of those years ago and returned it. I forget why, but it did not meet my speaker building needs. Could have been the 1/8" resolution.

Dan
              The Hurricanes
              The Baronettes
              Conneccentric
              UX3

Comment

Seems to me that you are just picking points on a continuous ruler scale, its not really limited to 1/8" increments.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not following the comments here at all. The ruler is marked at 1/16" increments, and its infinitely adjustable, so with this jig you have only yourself to blame for the incorrect hole size, unlike the Jasper jig where you can blame the tool for only providing 1/16" diameter increments.

What I don't like about this jig is that the centre pin anchor is just a plastic thing you screw into the board, so I would think it may have a bit more wiggle room than I'd like for accurate hole location. The pin for the Jasper jig I find is as accurate as I am with a hand drill.
                  "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                  exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

This looks pretty nice to me. It seems a bit simpler and more versatile then my Jasper jig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxmELc-AYVg
                    "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                    Bismarck, North Dakota
                    My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
                    My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

Craftsman/Sears used to sell one like this but it wasnt aluminum. I had one for years before it finally got broken. Wish I could find another one...
                      Fabrication tools and materials along with world class training events to enable custom automotive professionals to fabricate and install.

Comment

I have one of these.
                        https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-.../dp/B0000222V9

Comment

I have one of these.

Comment

I had a Jasper Jig, but it didn't fit one of my routers very well and then it got stolen. Eventually I bought one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyS1JpKx684

Click image for larger version  Name:	crb7mk3-group-484_1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	88.5 KB ID:	1400725

Comment

I bought one a few months back and just used it for the first time. I only used the 10-52” arm for a 14” cut out for the rss390-HO. I had never used a circle jig previously and I’m not a proficient router user. It took reading through the instructions and too much time to set up for me (inexperience), but after the first time now, it shouldn’t take more than a few minutes for future projects. I agree that the center pin may make it a tad difficult to get perfect tolerances, but it shouldn’t effect me for anything I build. Predrilling before screwing, as recommended in the instructions, will get you darn close. The diameter adjustment is “infinite” as it is a slide that locks in place. You could make 1/32 adjustments if you’re careful. It fit with no problem on a cheapo harbor freight plunge router. I would recommend this, but don’t have experience with other jigs to make a comparison. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X