Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Tweeter Leaking Air

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweeter Leaking Air

I'm designing a set of smallish desktops and I've run into a problem. My tweeters (Dayton Audio DSN25F-4) are leaking air through the body of the tweeter itself. I've tested several strategic applications of foam tape, but it has almost no effect at all. The only thing that has helped is putting foam tape on the body of the tweeter itself, isolating the fabric dome from the rest of the driver, and covering that with a piece of MDF. Note that the woofer and the tweeter share the same internal enclosure.

I've attached a video demonstrating the test described above.

Does anyone have suggestions about how to solve this problem? Do I need to build a separate enclosure for the tweeter? If so, I'll probably have to rebuild the whole enclosure. :(

What leads you to believe air is leaking?
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
      What leads you to believe air is leaking?
      His video proves it is leaking from somewhere, so yes it could even be the tweeter-woofer intersection.

Comment

Do both leak? Ask PE if this is a defect and return the tweeters. If I was forced to repair. I'd flip the tweeter over and pressurize the box (low pressure) then soap solution the back side and look for bubbles. I think if you use the woofer as the motive force you could suck liquid into the tweeter. I'd caulk the leaks.
        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Seems to me if the fluttering noise stops when the tweeter is sealed off with the MDF, then the noise is coming from the tweeter opening. Does pressing in on the tweeter stop the noise, or are you 100% sure its the contact between the foam tape and the MDF board that is stopping the fluttering?

If that's it, couldn't the tweeter be removed and the back just silicone up to close any possible leak points?

Oh, that's the tweeter with the metal 'additional' frame around it: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--275-116

Could that be the point of leakage and not the dome area itself... possibly the tweeter insert isn't fully seating in the surround metal framework and causing a leak there?

TomZ
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Comment

How is a tube of preparation h going to help his tweeter?

Comment

I am almost positive the air is coming from the intersection between the dome and the tweeter flange. I added a whole bunch of orientations of foam tape to the various portions of the tweeter opening with no effect. After the foam tape + MDF board test I delicately applied some sticky-tack around the dome and that caused the fluttering to stop.

I am going to pursure a return/refund of these tweeters (both exhibit the same behavior) if I can't find a "simple" workaround. I'd really like to make these bad boys work. They are a good pair for the woofer (TCP115-4) when they aren't fluttering/chuffing.

I had the same thought as Tom about sealing the leak from the back, so I covered the back of the tweeter in sticky-tack and hot glue in an attempt to seal the leak, but I had no success there. I may try silicone caulking the entire back of the tweeter if the solution below doesn't work. Sometimes a ham-fisted approach is the only one that works ;)

The tweeter is pretty shallow, so I glued a piece of 1/8" ply to the back of the tweeter hole to create a separate enclosure for it. I drilled a couple holes for the audio cable connection, and I am sealing it with hot glue and silicone caulk (currently waiting for the silicone to cure). I'll report back tomorrow after I test it again

Comment

No dice on the separate enclosure + silicone idea. I've completely covered the back of the tweeter with silicone and am waiting for it to cure. If that doesn't work, I guess I return the tweeters and go back to the drawing board. That would be a shame because I really wanted to use those tweeters...

Comment

Do you have a gasket under the frame to seal it? Is it sealed at the woofer cutout?
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      Do you have a gasket under the frame to seal it? Is it sealed at the woofer cutout?
                      Wolf
                      I do have a gasket under the tweeter frame and the woofer frame, and I combined several different orientations of gasketing without success.

I did just test the tweeter-covered-in-silicone method and that worked, the tradeoff being that the tweeter is now covered in silicone ;)

Comment

It appears from the pics that your tweeter is not flush mounted, and that your woofer laps over the flange of the tweeter. Is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by turn2 View Post
                          It appears from the pics that your tweeter is not flush mounted, and that your woofer laps over the flange of the tweeter. Is this correct?
                          Good observation, the overlap could well indeed be the source of his consternation. I find it very hard to believe that someone is incapable of finding and sealing a simple leak. The likelihood that the tweeter was defective is plausible, but highly unlikely.

Comment

When I look at the tweeter gasket that is included with it by zooming in, it seems like air could easily leak from the screw holes since the gasket cutout is open towards the tweeter, but it is unclear if he tested that. Maybe the block of wood was blocking the sound from the screw holes. Picture of how you sealed the tweeter with silicone? Some silly putty over the screw holes might help rule that out.

Comment

I watched this again in the exploded video version and I guarantee you that the woofer is not seated against the baffle and is leaking air where it overlaps the not-flush-mounted tweeter. Flush mount the tweeter; problem solved.
                              Last edited by turn2; 01-23-2019, 03:46 PM. Reason: Solution added.

Comment

Working...
                              X