Sonotube Subwoofers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonotube Subwoofers

Has anybody built one of these? I was looking on Google and there are several articles, but I was wondering if there was anyone on this site that tried it. Success, Fails?

There are tons of subwoofer builds using sonotubes/concrete forms. You don't see it as much on this forum but it's been done for many years with great success. They don't seem to be as popular any more, I personally think that has more to do with esthetics.

Comment

Also, NO driver is happier up/down-firing than sideways. It's just gravity and time (= sag = lower Xmax).

Comment

I have built 3 over the years. Very happy with the performance. I remember a long time back Adire Audio had published a paper explaining what driver specs lend them to up/down mounting. My enclosures were 320 liters and tuned to 13hz. I had near flat response in my room to about 11hz. IF you don’t mind the aesthetics - I would encourage you try one. I eventually got rid of them for aesthetic reasons Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I built a pair using RSS390HO-4 woofers. They were down firing and would bounce off the floor. The bounce would have been easy enough to fix by putting a plate on the bottom of the legs but I didn't care for the aesthetics so I gave up on them. Technically they're a great way to build a light cabinet with low resonance walls.

Ron
          C-Note Iron Driver Build
          The Lydias
          The Cherry π's
          The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
          My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

Sonotube is great for a subwoofer enclosure. No bracing needed (I used bracing in mine because the sonotube got some water damage, and it was too expensive to replace it). Structurally, it is far superior to a box enclosure. As an earlier post mentioned, some drivers don't like up- or down-facing mounting, but a sonosub can always be mounted sideways. I would highly recommend using sonotube.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-sonosub-build
            Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

I constructed the same, but using rss210hf-4
              Like on this pic.
              essay writing service

Comment

Did somebody say...El Pipe-O?

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_elpipeo.pdf
                Francis

Comment

Not Sonotube, but I used round PVC for a pair of 10" subwoofers that I built for my Pluto speakers. Here are the construction notes...

http://www.afterness.com/audio/pluto_plus.html
                  Bill Schneider
                  -+-+-+-+-
                  www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

See Bose acoustic wave cannon for a commercial example, not sonotube however

Comment

Built one years ago with great success...will post pictures later. Ended up using a larger diameter tube approx 24" so it didn't need to be to tall. Had a friend in the casework business laminate the side and I made a wood top that I stained to match existing furniture. Think I used a Dayton 15" HO sub with 300 Watt Bash Amp. Integrates well with the rest of the system and has no problem shaking the house and everything in it As mentioned already, no need for bracing as the circular shape provides all the support needed.

Comment

Never tried it, but I'd think you could cut the sonotube at 45 degrees and glue it back together so the woofer faces forward in a short section, instead of down-firing. Like Chris alluded to, most woofers will sag in time, and none are really happy with up or down firing.
                        Francis

Comment

Working...
                        X