• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lasse
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Jan 2009

What to do about this?

Hello,

I finally have come around to use my DATS impedance tool on some of my drivers.

Now, I thought that I had a small fortune in the workshop, consisting of three Dynaudio D28AF tweeters but their impedance curves are like the one attached.

Are my drivers repairable, perhaps by replacing the magnetic fluid inside of them, or are they ready for the garbage bin?

Regards//lasse

Stockholm, Sweden

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bild Impedans D28AF.JPG Views:	1 Size:	276.1 KB ID:	1401874
    Perry Mason talking to his dentist:

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"
  • Chris Roemer
    Obsessed & Proud of It
    • Sep 2005

Do they make "sound"?
    Is your DATS working (do a Z-sweep on your last project)?
    They look like a very small value inductor...

Comment

• 1100xxben
      Seasoned Veteran
      • May 2008

The resonant spike comes from mechanical resonance, which these do not appear to have. As Chris said, they measure like small inductors, which means the coil is likely intact but the cone is not moving. If they have (maybe had) ferrofluid, maybe the fluid has dried out and left all the solids, effectively gluing the coil in place. Assuming those are service-able, you could open one up, gently, and have a look-see.

Comment

• lasse
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Jan 2009

Hi,

The attached DATS-scan of one of my AUDAX domes was taken at the same time so the system seems to work.

Does anyone know how bad ferrofluid show up in a impedance measurement?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild AUDAX mis dome.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	1401898

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Comment

• lasse
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by 1100xxben
          The resonant spike comes from mechanical resonance, which these do not appear to have. As Chris said, they measure like small inductors, which means the coil is likely intact but the cone is not moving. If they have (maybe had) ferrofluid, maybe the fluid has dried out and left all the solids, effectively gluing the coil in place. Assuming those are service-able, you could open one up, gently, and have a look-see.
          Hi,

yes a "autopsy" is probably the next logical move….

Regards//lasse

Comment

• billfitzmaurice
            Obsessed & Proud of It
            • Nov 2006

Your images are very hard to see. Try changing the Application Look to Light in the DATS View menu.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

• badman
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Jul 2008

I'm not a big fan of ferrofluid, but when you remove it, you have a different tweeter. I agree that the coil's likely frozen. Time for careful dissection and cleaning, but you definitely need to measure thoroughly thereafter. The stock response will change, particularly at the extremes of response (1khz, 12khz)

Comment

• lasse
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by badman
                I'm not a big fan of ferrofluid, but when you remove it, you have a different tweeter. I agree that the coil's likely frozen. Time for careful dissection and cleaning, but you definitely need to measure thoroughly thereafter. The stock response will change, particularly at the extremes of response (1khz, 12khz)
                But isn´t it possible to pour in new ferrofluid?

Comment

• devnull
                  Midrange Member
                  • May 2018

Originally posted by lasse

Yup. Parts Express sells a general purpose replacement. The stuff that's sold for science experiments will not work.

Comment

• AEIOU
                    Midrange Member
                    • Jun 2018

You have to clean out the old ferrofluid first, then you can add fresh ferrofluid. I have plenty of experience with adding ferrofluid to tweeters.

Comment

• lasse
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Jan 2009

OK,

last question from me on this subject:

Has anyone replaced the ferrofluid on a Dynaudio tweeter with good results?

Regards//lasse

Comment

• Chris Roemer
                        Obsessed & Proud of It
                        • Sep 2005

So... your DATS is working fine.

DO they make ANY sound? 'cause (as was said) if they can't move, they won't have a resonance.
                        If they HAD FF, it seems to have evaporated leaving the solids to glue everything up !

Comment

• lasse
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Chris Roemer
                          So... your DATS is working fine.

DO they make ANY sound? 'cause (as was said) if they can't move, they won't have a resonance.
                          If they HAD FF, it seems to have evaporated leaving the solids to glue everything up !
                          So, in theory, the same "symptome" (=no resonance peak) could be seen after a over-heat situation with a damaged coil?

Regards//lasse

Comment

• 1100xxben
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • May 2008

So, in theory, the same "symptome" (=no resonance peak) could be seen after a over-heat situation with a damaged coil?

Regards//lasse
                            Most likely, an overheat that actually damaged the coil would result in an open circuit.

Comment

• lasse
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Jan 2009

Is the more probable failure-mode for tweeters to have an open circuit than a overheated and misaligned/stuck voicecoil?

Comment

Working...