Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

subwoofer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• subwoofer

anyone familiar with designs by mile slavkovik......he uploaded quite a few diy designs 3 or 4 yrs ago but with very little spec info.

one interested me it looks like a pro " 'kick bin' design made for for a kappa 15LF .(doesn't specify which one)

what might one expect from this performancewise in a dual sub 2.1 configuration in a 13x30 high ceiling living room (on the short wall)

i'm assuming since it was posted up by the designer as a free diy its ok to repost it.....if not please remove.

thanks, bob

That's really just a slot-vented box. About 3.1cf net tuned (and with an F3) near 50Hz.
    More of a pro-sound sub, than a "home" sub for full-range music (40Hz) or for HT (30Hz).

Comment

thanks chris

thats kinda what i thought......would a longer slot get the f3 nearer to 40?

the reason i'm even interested is to get into the mid bass (around 200hz) with placement right under my mains .....much like a pro 'stack'

one might even use a second subwoofer crossed at 50 and below .....i've got the room and system capability.

i suppose the benefit i'd be looking for is to free up the mid bass (50-200) from the deep tones ( 50 and below).....is using two seperate sub sytems a 'thing' or just asking for trouble.

bob

edit; looks like if i make the slot depth around 15" i could get down into the mid 40's .....would that screw anything else up?

i don't have a computer just a chromebook so i'm stuck with app based programs......i suppose i need to 'get a watch' instead of asking everyone what time it is! lol
      Last edited by Mountainman Bob; 01-30-2019, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I don't see that (using the orig. "Kappa 15LF - Qts = 0.39, Vas=5.6cf, Fs = 39) getting any lower w/out a bigger box.
        Now, if you kept the outside dims the same, but got rid of the horn mouth (closed it off), and put the driver on the actual front , you'd end up w/4.5cf, and w/the same vent, you'd be able to basically reach 40Hz (low 40s, anyway). At 200wRMS, it should stay under excursion limits down to 35Hz, yielding over 115dB @ 40Hz.

I'm using WinISD "Pro".

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post
          i'm even interested is to get into the mid bass (around 200hz) with placement right under my mains .....much like a pro 'stack'
          one might even use a second subwoofer crossed at 50 and below ...
          Crossing over from subs higher than 100Hz is a bad idea, as is sub placement below mains. Yes, that's how most semi-pros do it. They shouldn't. The reason they do is 'because that's how everyone does it'. Besides, why use two subs when one is all you need?
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

In other news...what does that "horn" even do? Seems like it wouldn't achieve much until past a kHz.
            Francis

Comment

thanks again,

do you see any benefits to that design or what he might have been going for......what caught my attention was that it might load the front for just a little bit more impact in the kick drum region? also with two 100lb dogs and occasional grandchildren running around i can appreciate the hidden quality this design offers!

i could care less about LFE and aim for the 'live' sound to my music.....but do realize an f3 of 40hz is best for that.

i do have room to make the box bigger if that might be an option, but knowing the characteristic of sound this specific design offers would help.......got any idea ?

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                Crossing over from subs higher than 100Hz is a bad idea, as is sub placement below mains. Yes, that's how most semi-pros do it. They shouldn't. The reason they do is 'because that's how everyone does it'. Besides, why use two subs when one is all you need?
                more the merrier? j/k!

a long time ago i figured out i liked two subs set in a stereo configuration over one....and yes i know technically it shouldn't matter. what i was really wondering what two pairs of subs might sound like (one upper range and one set lower) and reasoning is the same as crossing over any speaker.

and i've been experimenting with higher crossovers on my current subs and like the results up to 160 on some music but my current subs are not 'aligned' as in 'stacked' to blend with the main drivers as well as this design might offer.

i know your the SW guru so i do appreciate and value your input

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
                  In other news...what does that "horn" even do? Seems like it wouldn't achieve much until past a kHz.
                  i'm with you.....its all conjecture until someone who knows can say?

the designer is a feller of few words (language barrier involved maybe?) might be total bs but he showed an actual pic of the build and said its bottom end went 'surprisingly low' with the kappa 15lf but offered no measurements.

Comment

could it be this design has something to do with phase and/or port timing ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post
                      could it be this design has something to do with phase and/or port timing ?
                      Well...the wavelength at 40Hz is about 27 feet. So that tiny "horn" doesn't affect phase very much. And it's wayyyyyy too small to have any horn effect at 40Hz. So I have no idea what it is intended to do.
                      Francis

Comment

No. The 'horn' isn't a horn, it's way too short. The design is a manifold band pass, with the manifold being tapered, rather than the usual straight configuration. I doubt the designer was aware of that, because all that's accomplished by making the manifold tapered instead of straight is to unnecessarily complicate the build and make the driver more vulnerable to damage.
                        www.billfitzmaurice.com
                        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

It's to keep drunken bar patrons from kicking in the speaker cone. Pro drivers don't go as low as HIFI subwoofers. Are you building a PA or a home sound system?

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                            It's to keep drunken bar patrons from kicking in the speaker cone.
                            Now THAT makes sense!

Francis

Comment

Those Czechs know how to party.

Comment

Working...
                              X