subwoofer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
    Crossing over from subs higher than 100Hz is a bad idea, as is sub placement below mains. Yes, that's how most semi-pros do it. They shouldn't. The reason they do is 'because that's how everyone does it'. Besides, why use two subs when one is all you need?
    Because MOAR. I know you're familiar with the idea of multisub for modal distribution and thus smoothness, in addition to the advantages that smaller format offers (one supersub can cost much more to build than a few smaller units that will outperform it). I've recommended the dayton 12" actives for some years, in multiples.

Comment

I used the Delta 15LFA in a bigger box up to about 800 Hz as I recall. https://www.parts-express.com/eminen...river--290-417

If you are near St. Louis the 15LFA in the bass bins (picture) need a good home.
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

No. The 'horn' isn't a horn, it's way too short. The design is a manifold band pass, with the manifold being tapered, rather than the usual straight configuration. I doubt the designer was aware of that, because all that's accomplished by making the manifold tapered instead of straight is to unnecessarily complicate the build and make the driver more vulnerable to damage.
        so what would the difference be to drop it down straight at the 90mm level the back starts from.......would give more volume and front load it more but what would the difference in actual sound be?

i suppose i could just buy one of your plans and be done with it, but none of your designs seem to fit what i'm doing(except the titan 39 which you shot down)......besides what kind of education would that be!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
          I don't see that (using the orig. "Kappa 15LF - Qts = 0.39, Vas=5.6cf, Fs = 39) getting any lower w/out a bigger box.
          Now, if you kept the outside dims the same, but got rid of the horn mouth (closed it off), and put the driver on the actual front , you'd end up w/4.5cf, and w/the same vent, you'd be able to basically reach 40Hz (low 40s, anyway). At 200wRMS, it should stay under excursion limits down to 35Hz, yielding over 115dB @ 40Hz.

I'm using WinISD "Pro".
          hey chris,

when he described this setup he called it a sub and that it was a great bottom for a single top

what does it look like if one were to use the RSS390HF-4 in that box ?

qts=0.43
          vas=7.49cf
          fs=19.5

let me know when i become a pita.....if i havn't already!

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
            It's to keep drunken bar patrons from kicking in the speaker cone. Pro drivers don't go as low as HIFI subwoofers. Are you building a PA or a home sound system?
            a living room PA system ; )

i like the 'live' sound !

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post

Because MOAR. I know you're familiar with the idea of multisub for modal distribution and thus smoothness, in addition to the advantages that smaller format offers (one supersub can cost much more to build than a few smaller units that will outperform it). I've recommended the dayton 12" actives for some years, in multiples.
              i looked that up and moar is a combo of 'more' and 'roar ' ........lol

give me moar!

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                I used the Delta 15LFA in a bigger box up to about 800 Hz as I recall. https://www.parts-express.com/eminen...river--290-417

If you are near St. Louis the 15LFA in the bass bins (picture) need a good home.
                thanks john, but i don't see myself anywhere near st. louis anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post
                  so what would the difference be to drop it down straight at the 90mm level the back starts from.......would give more volume and front load it more but what would the difference in actual sound be?
                  If the rear chamber and manifold volumes were configured to be the same they'd sound the same.

none of your designs seem to fit what i'm doing
                  Then you're doing it wrong.
                  www.billfitzmaurice.com
                  www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

If the rear chamber and manifold volumes were configured to be the same they'd sound the same.

Then you're doing it wrong.
                    i've been on the other side of right my whole life!
                    i seem to prefer sub placement just inside and just fwd of the mains........tell me again why the titan 39's wouldn't work laid down with the mouths in that position.....especially since i'm not interested in LFE

and about this modal stuff......seems like having a room longer than it is wide has something to do with it? room is 13x30 with listening postion centered 11' from short wall

from what i'm reading i'm going to get cancellations below 42hz anyhow?

Comment

T39s are pro-sound subs. Is this a club? Or a home? If it's a home then use HT/Hi-Fi subs, not pro-sound. As for your preferred sub placement, subs should be close to the front wall, mains further away. Google: 'Allison Effect'. As for cancellations, they're always present. They're minimized by not placing subs symmetrically, exacerbated by symmetrical sub placement,
                      www.billfitzmaurice.com
                      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

well my house has 26x30 of open space,,,,,, kitcen/dining/living room all open with various sloped ceiling heights from 11' on up to a 23' peak.....its bigger than some venues i've been in.

i don't recall ever having too much clean sound......what i'm most familiar with is limitation!

this will more than likely be my last hoorah so i'm going big , thats why theres a volume control.... can always turn it down.

your talking with one of the few people that enjoys k-horns, but wife won't buy into them....i tried.

gonna set it up as a high fidelity small pro system.....a hybrid which i have a pretty good vision of which does not include a table tuba! (no offense)

Comment

4 of these and call it good.

Lilmike's LilWrecker - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Comment

The HF is no good; but if you put the 390HO-4 in there (the orig. box) and extend the slot all the way across the back (18" long) you'll get an F3 in the low 30s.
                            It can take 800wRMS down into the upper 20s, yielding 120dB @ 40Hz.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                              now we're cookin with gas!

don't really need to concentrate on LFE though......looking for musical clarity and punch than just rumble.
                              Last edited by Mountainman Bob; 01-31-2019, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                                The HF is no good; but if you put the 390HO-4 in there (the orig. box) and extend the slot all the way across the back (18" long) you'll get an F3 in the low 30s.
                                It can take 800wRMS down into the upper 20s, yielding 120dB @ 40Hz.

thanks chris,

those numbers seem more than adequate to me .....if not slightly impressive.

is there a way to model a response curve with that or does that need measured with a mic ?

Comment

Working...
                                X