No announcement yet.

New project: RSX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are the best! I'm glad you got them done, looking forward to seeing/hearing them.
    A mains
    The Ventures
    Open Invit8tions
    RSR
    Sound Troopers
    Acorns
    DGBG's
    The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by ernperkins View Post
      some purple ones I haven't seen before.
      You nailed the first 3, and the Purples are the new ClarityCap CSA. There's also a black Mundorf in there...
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by 4thtry View Post
        Looking good. If there are any flaws, they are well hidden. Your coaxial tweeter mount looks better than some commercial designs that I have seen.
        Thanks! A camera phone and poor lighting hides things well

Comment

Originally posted by ernperkins View Post
          Looks like a colorful capacitor smorgasbord! I see white (Mundorf Evo oil?), red (Audyn?), black (Solen?) and some purple ones I haven't seen before. You'll have to have an external crossover shootout with Bill
          Yeah there’s a bit of everything in there. I had several different caps in the parts bin and also ordered some to try. I don’t want to start a cap war, but will just say I enjoy trying different caps as a part of fun of the hobby. The black mundorfs are actually electrolytic - in the tweeter circuit (gasp!)

There are more caps than need be because I bundled caps to get to my value because I used up several I had laying around in conjunction with some new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

You nailed the first 3, and the Purples are the new ClarityCap CSA. There's also a black Mundorf in there...
            Wolf
            Those CSA seem like really well made caps. The leads are long and heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
              Those are the best! I'm glad you got them done, looking forward to seeing/hearing them.
              Thanks again! I hope they sound ok.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	RSX FR.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	1417199Click image for larger version

Name:	RSX Z.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1417200Click image for larger version

Name:	RSX Schematic.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	1417201Click image for larger version

Name:	RSX parts.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	1417202

Comment

Originally posted by 4thtry View Post
                  Looking good. If there are any flaws, they are well hidden. Your coaxial tweeter mount looks better than some commercial designs that I have seen.
                  It's very nice! One thing I'd adjust is to increase the tweeter diameter a bit, gaps like that can be problematic. Black self-sealing silicone tape would work well, easy to apply and remove, and stays put.

Comment

Glad I got to hear them! I wish I would have heard them from the sweet spot. Being off axis the mid to treble area sounds a bit colored, other wise nice build. Congrats on the win!
                    A mains
                    The Ventures
                    Open Invit8tions
                    RSR
                    Sound Troopers
                    Acorns
                    DGBG's
                    The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post

It's very nice! One thing I'd adjust is to increase the tweeter diameter a bit, gaps like that can be problematic. Black self-sealing silicone tape would work well, easy to apply and remove, and stays put.
                      Good point, thanks, I had thought about that as well. I could have cut them a little bigger to begin with, but the tape is a good suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
                        Glad I got to hear them! I wish I would have heard them from the sweet spot. Being off axis the mid to treble area sounds a bit colored, other wise nice build. Congrats on the win!
                        Thanks, yeah you were seated at almost the sharpest angle. A smaller angle though is the sweet spot. About 15-30 degrees is nice and flat. On-axis has a suck out and top octave rise from the waveguide and too far out obviously the top rolls off and I assume the back wave of the mid is dominant.

Two nice things I notice with them in my living room is they sound good no matter where I am on the couch. Very wide sweet spot within reason, no head in a vice. They also change very little for being a dipole in regards with distance from the wall behind them. I didn’t mind making them two feet deep as they should have at least that anyway. Right now the back of the box is only 6” from the wall and they sound good and have a large image.

Comment

Working...
                        X