Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Help with speaker build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with speaker build

I would like to build a pair of small speakers for my office. I am planning on using the Tang Band W3-881SJF 3" Full Range Speakers in conjunction with a subwoofer. I am going to also use the TPS3116D2 Class D 2.1 Bluetooth amp board to power the three speakers. I would utilize the amp's built in high pass switch that enables a 6 dB/octave high pass at 150 Hz in order to filter the lows from the sattelites.

I would like to have the trio mesh well rolling from the speakers to the sub for lows. I calculated a .03cu. ft. sealed box and a .04 cu.ft. vented box in WinISD and got the graphs below. So, the vented box seems a lot closer to the 150 hz crossover point that I am looking for.

I'm not sure if the difference between the response curves for the two enclosures is meaningful in this situation. Would it be worth the extra work of venting the speakers for this application? I'm very new to this so, any suggestions would be appreciated.

TB drivers are pretty good - but that IS an old one, its worst feature being its puny "Xmax" (0.5mm) which limits it to just 1/2 watt of power (even in a 0.04cf vented box).
    In the same size box (w/a 3/4"d x 6" long port tube) Dayton's ND65-8 can take 8w of power (3.5mm Xmax), and even though it's less efficient, at that power it'll still play at least twice as loud (+14dB louder at 80Hz), AND it'll reach down to 60Hz. You may not even need a sub.

If you're not using the WinISD "Pro", try it. You can see many more things there, like max power, cone excursion, port velocities and more.

Comment

Working...
    X