Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Dual InDIYana themes ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual InDIYana themes ...

last year i really wanted to play along with the coax theme but was having equipment issues , had to get my mic warranted , but it's never left my mind . So when this years theme of of 5 parts were decided i thought why not try something really challenging and build a 3 way using a 3.5 inch coax using only 5 parts ...

drivers will be Dayton DC160 for the woofer in a .45cu. box and a PowerBass 3.5inch S3502 coax ...

i have ran into one small issue so far , i need to build a jig for impedance and when i went to see about ordering one PE wanted $6.68 shipping for the $ .68 resister so i'm trying to work on an order . i also reached out to PowerBass but have not heard back yet ....winISD shows a .45 tuned to 40 with a 1.5" x 5.5" vent gives me a f3 of 40 . Click image for larger version  Name:	coax3waybox.jpg Views:	1 Size:	54.4 KB ID:	1403091Click image for larger version  Name:	coax3way.jpg Views:	1 Size:	111.6 KB ID:	1403092

and since i will not be competing i'll be able to throw more parts at when done with the 5 ... got my cut sheet drawn out on a 1/2in. piece of ply hoping to make some saw dust today ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	coax3way2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	76.4 KB ID:	1403096
    Paper Towers
    RS180P/28F surrounds
    Boombox

Sounds like fun!
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      Sounds like fun!
      Wolf
      i think it just got even funner !

after a bit of stuggle getting my measuring rig set up this is the coax as PowerBass built them with only a 4.7 uF on the tweet !

from 3ft on axis 1/12 smooth ...
      Click image for larger version

Name:	coax3way3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	1403169
      Paper Towers
      RS180P/28F surrounds
      Boombox

Comment

i'm skeptical of your measurement. It seemed too easy. It's likely something is off. Hope I'm wrong, but doubt it. Measure something like the woofer only. Gated.

Comment

here is the S3502 minus the tweet , its not gated as i don't much use gating unless asked by y'all . i need to startt saving them so i can back and do so when asked ... i'm setting up for some 160 pics now . Click image for larger version

Name:	umm-6issues7.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	1403172
          Paper Towers
          RS180P/28F surrounds
          Boombox

Comment

the DC160 from 3ft tweet axis ... Click image for larger version

Name:	coax3way4.jpg
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	1403176Click image for larger version

Name:	coax3way5.jpg
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	1403177
            Paper Towers
            RS180P/28F surrounds
            Boombox

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	coax3way6.jpg Views:	2 Size:	306.6 KB ID:	1403181Click image for larger version  Name:	coax3way7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	331.1 KB ID:	1403182
              Paper Towers
              RS180P/28F surrounds
              Boombox

Comment

Due to rain i could not cut any wood today . so i pulled out the DC160 3 way i built couple years ago . listenig to 3 parts rite now , not to bad . sounds like it needs BSC and the unused BG25 sealed better but i think 5 parts is really doable ! Click image for larger version

Name:	coax3way9.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1403205Click image for larger version

Name:	coax3way8.jpg
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	1403206

2mH 80uF on the woofer and the 4.7uF on the tweet .
                Paper Towers
                RS180P/28F surrounds
                Boombox

Comment

1 ohm trim resister on the coax helped clean things up . sounds better but could use a lil more . i need to get the files into Xsim .... 4 parts ...
                  Paper Towers
                  RS180P/28F surrounds
                  Boombox

Comment

still playing with this without files for sims . making changes and listening . made a big inductor change going up to 7mH and removing the 80uF and still with 1ohm in series with the mid and tweet and 4.7uF on tweet ( i don't know how to draw that ) . this is very listenable and i have been for the last couple days . good try and get a measurement tonight .... down to 3 parts ....
                    Paper Towers
                    RS180P/28F surrounds
                    Boombox

Comment

3 ways are allowed?
                      Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Not in the Bare Minimum theme if attending, nope. Filmslayer is combining 2 themes of past/present for some fun.
                        Later,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I've heard those woofers chuff even through 2"id port tubes (although they did NOT have a radiused exit).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                            I've heard those woofers chuff even through 2"id port tubes (although they did NOT have a radiused exit).
                            i still haven't cut wood Chris and its in the box i built in the 160 3way v. 180p 2way . not heard any problems all 3 times . the planed box says 1st res at 1200 , i'm X at 300 ...
                            Paper Towers
                            RS180P/28F surrounds
                            Boombox

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                              Not in the Bare Minimum theme if attending, nope. Filmslayer is combining 2 themes of past/present for some fun.
                              Later,
                              Wolf
                              but why ? if you can build a 3 way in a small box using only 5 parts with a price cap ?!? you the man !
                              Paper Towers
                              RS180P/28F surrounds
                              Boombox

Comment

Working...
                              X