Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polyfill touching Crossovers

Hi!
    Is it OK to have polyfill touching a crossover? Instinct tells me its ok - should be non-conductive and non-impactful to the crossover, but thought I should check. Any issues with heat from resistors? I've never had to consider it with ported boxes, and the sealed boxes I've built have always had a polyfill-free section for the XO. This happens to be a sealed box and it would be beneficial if I don't have to be terribly mindful of keeping the polyfill away from the XO. I of course don't intend to pack the XO with polyfill, but it may be in contact with parts of the XO

I keep the fill away from the crossover: resistors can get hot. I cover my crossovers with a piece of "fly wire", a fine metal mesh which is an essential material in Oz.

Geoff

Comment

I've done a few impromptu tests because I was concerned as well. Even with a lighter/fire directly on it, the polyfill just basically shrunk away/melted away from the flame... It really wasn't flammable, or the flame went away as soon as the flame I was creating was removed. You should be fine with direct contact IMO, but maybe do a test as I did to check with your specific brand of polyfill.
      TomZ
      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

What those guys said. Plus, generally speaking unless you're really pushing the speaker, the resistors run cool.
        Francis

Comment

Working...
        X