Full range 2 way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full range 2 way

I'm kicking around speaker ideas, what would be the flaw in pairing a 3 in full range with woofer and then using a simple 1st order crossover at maybe 500 hz? I'm looking at the fountek fe85 for example paired with any woofer with decent low frequency response. I can't hear anything above 16-17khz anyway, so I doubt many people would notice the missing tweeter. Seems like this would be a simple, cheap and efficient speaker design. Any thoughts?

That's called a FAST speaker. Some people like them.

Here's a pricey one, you can get a kit at a well known Wisconsin business.

Speaker Design Works

Comment

Funny, I was thinking this same thing last week. I've been thinking of building a fullrange to improve on a Fostex FE206 pair that I build for a friend about 20 years ago. Many of the ones that I have been looking at used a 2.1 setup to boost the bottom end. I was thinking, why not just add the sub into the same cabinet. But I was thinking of crossing over a bit lower. Somewhere in the 15-250 range. Depending on the freq response of course. I've havent really looked into it. It just crossed my mind. I'll be following to see any responses.

Comment

Others can comment on flaws and whether a 1st order crossover presents challenges. But it has been done, first one that comes to mind is Microfarads nano speaker, I'm sure there are others. This is a simple 2 way speaker with full range driver instead of a tweeter, not FAST.

Comment

Actually, 500Hz is a doable Fc. Going lower (200Hz ?) becomes troublesome (from a 1st order standpoint) because a single cap can't provide any kind of decent rolloff curve through the full-range driver's resonant freq. (usually).

Comment

There's at least one of that type of design in the PE Project Gallery, the "Vagrant Monitor" by Jay. He used a VIFA TC7 full range driver and a Peerless SDS160 woofer, crossed them at about 1,000Hz if I recall. However, Jay used second order crossovers.

I've thought about this sort of project using one of the small VIFAs and maybe an 8" SBPFC woofer or a Dayton DC200 woofer, but I have two projects on the go and don't need another pair just yet.

I've never heard of "FAST" speakers, what does the term mean, please? I couldn't find anything on Google, except for manufacturers who say their speakers have "fast bass".

Thank you

Geoff

Comment

I built a 2-way like this called 'Hybrid Vigor'. M3N/RS125-4 combo. Imaged really well, and the xover was 800Hz.

Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

FAST stands for fullrange and subwoofer technology.
                The Boenicke W5 is a retail implementation of this idea. It has gotten alot of reat reveiws.
                I like full range speakers and always use them with a subwoofer(s) to cover the bottom end.

Comment

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
                  FAST stands for fullrange and subwoofer technology.
                  The Boenicke W5 is a retail implementation of this idea. It has gotten alot of reat reveiws.
                  I like full range speakers and always use them with a subwoofer(s) to cover the bottom end.
                  Thank you!

That Boenicke W5 speaker is $8300 per pair in Oz.

Geoff

Comment

Looking into the tech side of that W5 makes me think less of the speaker. The measurements also look questionable... The pictures look great but there have been some complaints about the finish quality.
                    The omni directional speakers that Mr. Linkwitz made also fall into this catigory. The since and measurements behind his speakers is much better. I built a clone of his Pluto speakers after his passing as a tribute. They sound excelent. He was a great asset to the comunity.

Comment

I used the FE85 open baffle as a tweeter

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...affle-150-pair

My interpretation of the Boenicke W5 was the Latus project.
                      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Well, I'm pleased to hear it's not a specifically bad idea. Someone mentioned problems with a first order crossover. Is that due to concern about not rolling off quickly enough to be effective, or is there something else to be concerned about? My 500hz target is just a spitball number, it could be anything in that range.

I'm increasingly liking the idea as I think about it more though. Looking at the power handling, in order to not waste woofer capacity, there may need to be a couple of mids. But then the sensitivity probably wouldn't match. Anyway, details. But I think the concept makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post

Thank you!

That Boenicke W5 speaker is $8300 per pair in Oz.

Geoff
                          it is a very sexy speaker though, my recent build was trying to emulate that look...but didnt end up going there, liked the idea of the woofer on the side, then thought a PR would do me just as well and was convinced to do the easier/cheaper idea. Cant complain with the result, but still wonder what it would be like.

probably outside my skillset with the crossover requirement.

Comment

A lot of info on it over on the DIYAudio forum.
                            https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...onitor-81.html
                            "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                            Bismarck, North Dakota
                            My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
                            My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

Here's a guy who did a full blown W5 clone: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...-w5-clone.html. I could never understand their voodoo"‘electromechanical parallel resonators". Here's a description:

Each ‘resonator’ is in point of fact a small length (92mm) of stiff wire (surrounded by a piece of plastic tubing) one end of which is soldered to the negative speaker terminal and the other end of which is free to vibrate, should some mechanical stimulus be applied to it. Think of the resonator as being a bit like a tuning fork, except that when I ‘twanged’ it with my finger, the sound was more like a ‘sprong’ than a pure tone.
                              "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Working...
                              X