RST28F & RST28A, are they interchangeable with minimal crossover changes??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bbeam83
    • Nov 2016

RST28F & RST28A, are they interchangeable with minimal crossover changes??

Hey all!! First post here, but I’ve been checking out Tech Talk for a few years. Thanks to all who contribute their time and energy to help newbies such as myself. My first build was with an off the shelf crossover, and after the AviaTrix and Continuum’s I was hooked. My question is are the new RST tweeters interchangeable like the older versions? On Paul C’s site he mentioned on his Core design that the only change needed was the removal of the capacitor in series with the resistor. I do know that the RST28F has a bit more sensitivity and the responses are ever so slightly different. I’m asking because of all the kits/designs I’ve built I have never actually built a set that used a metal dome tweeter. I’ve been scoping the Samba MT but thought about going á la carte and trying it with the aluminum version. Was hoping someone with more real world experience could help to throw out some feedback! Thanks! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Chris Roemer
    Obsessed & Proud of It
    • Sep 2005

I would drop drop the resistor down to 4ohms and still expect slightly more "air" in the top octave.

Comment

• ernperkins
      • Mar 2010

I find it intersting that when Curt Campbell redesigned the Finalists for the NLA RS28F he chose the Morel CAT 328, not the RST28F. And Jeff Bagby chose the Morel CAT 308 to replace the NLA RS28A for the Continuum II redesign. Reading between the lines leads me to wonder if the RST28s aren't necessarily the best replacements for the NLA RS28s. That's just my guess based on their choices.
      The elephant in the room is the room

Comment

• bbeam83
        • Nov 2016

Thanks for the input!! Great point about the use of the Morels, and those guys know what they’re talking about. I have no measurement equipment so I thought this would be a new learning experience for me, possibly trying a few different resistor values and listening a bit. If I pull the trigger on this later, I’ll do a build log and give some impressions!! Again thanks for the suggestions/advice!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• bbeam83
          • Nov 2016

I’m really seeking out a kit/design reasonably priced with a metal dome tweeter, would like to hear the characteristic differences between them and a fabric dome!

Comment

Working...