Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

A Dayton 3 way idea (WMTMW), thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Dayton 3 way idea (WMTMW), thoughts?

I am thinking about building a 3 way Dayton speaker WMTMW and would really appreciate any feedback.
    The drivers I am looking to use are,

Tweeter- Dayton RST28F-4
    Midrange-Dayton RS52FN-8
    Woofer- Dayton RS225P-8A

The design would be for high SPL with good sound quality.

Crossover points i am not 100% sure on. I was thinking 5000hz and 700hz?

I would like to keep them at a 4 ohm load also.

What's your logic for the woofer choice? I'm almost scared to ask how loud you want to play these. OK, how loud? Why all Dayton? Contest? Cost?

Comment

As loud as they allow me to take them, haha I like the woofer for its efficiency, paper cone and price point is pretty good.

I am also shooting for a efficient design

As far as all Daytons it would mainly be for cost.

Comment

Seems like a basically solid idea. I like using drivers of all the same brand, the family resemblance adds style.

Comment

Another skinny tower with 8" woofers...how about 2 RS270P-8As? (I say that only because I wish I could do it )

Two questions that I don't know the answers too but would be interesting to hear those in the know:
          1. Do you need two of the mid-ranges or would one provide the SPL needed to match the woofers?
          2. That tweeter is capable of going quite low, but I know the mid-range gets good reviews. Any advantage to using the tweeter lower than 5K?

Comment

or a proven MTM design based on the RS150 (they're out there) crossed actively to RS270s top and bottom. The active crossover could be plate amps for simplicity.

Comment

I actually like the idea of using RS270P drivers instead of the RS225P. The cost difference would be the only thing holding me back on that though.

I should add these will be cut off on the low end around 60 to 80 and the rest sent to my subwoofers.

I will also add i am planning on driving them with my parasound 1205A at 4ohms 200watts a channel

Comment

Are you "set" on the WmtmW idea? An mtmWW would help hold the tweeter "up" (at seated ear level).
                The 2nd mid-dome isn't really necessary from strictly an SPL level POV. A single needs about -2dB attenuation, whereas a pair would want -8dB.
                Even though you're not seeking "bottom-end", a 2.5cf vented box still seems borderline for a tmWW or mtmWW, and I don't know how you'd get the tweeters "up" w/a WmtmW w/out stands. What're your thoughts on box dimensions?

Comment

If you are going to use 2 mids in MTM configuration, I think you will need to cross much lower than 5000. Perhaps 2000?

Comment

I'd recommend using the rs100p or 125p over the rs52. The rs52 are great but they don't go very low and have a big *** flange. Designing with the little woofers would be a bit easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                      Are you "set" on the WmtmW idea? An mtmWW would help hold the tweeter "up" (at seated ear level).
                      The 2nd mid-dome isn't really necessary from strictly an SPL level POV. A single needs about -2dB attenuation, whereas a pair would want -8dB.
                      Even though you're not seeking "bottom-end", a 2.5cf vented box still seems borderline for a tmWW or mtmWW, and I don't know how you'd get the tweeters "up" w/a WmtmW w/out stands. What're your thoughts on box dimensions?
                      Im actually going to build these into the wall where i can mount them at the correct ear level.

Im working with a 2x8 wall. Im hoping to be able to hide most of it but suspect i will have some of them sticking out a bit.

As far as running a mids i was hoping to have better power handleing with 2 of them splitting it?

Comment

I can sell you a couple of Outlaw Audio M2200s, 300 watts @4 ohms. I mean if you want loud.

They induce toroid envy.

Comment

If it will play loud enough for you, how about a tmw using RS270P-8, RS150P-8, and most any tweeter you want. The RS270P sealed needs a pretty small box if you cross to a sub.
                          If you wanted a mtmw, go with the RS100P-8 for mids.

Comment

Originally posted by civit View Post
                            I'd recommend using the rs100p or 125p over the rs52. The rs52 are great but they don't go very low and have a big *** flange. Designing with the little woofers would be a bit easier.
                            I really like the way those 2in dome mids sound very accurate and effortless midrange.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                              Could i ask why the mids need to be turned down?

Comment

Working...
                              X