Measurement software recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measurement software recommendations

In the past, I've used ARTA for measurement and have been reasonably satisfied with it. I've basically used it for FR measurement in demo mode. Now, I'm starting to take measurements after a hiatus of about 5 years and I'm wondering if there's anything else worth trying. If not, I'll probably purchase a license.

One thing I should probably learn to do is take distortion measurements. Is ARTA good for that?

I use HolmImpulse. It's freeware, does FR, phase and THD.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

ARTA does distortion too. I believe the various free measurement setups will all get you similar results, it'll come down to what you're familiar with. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music
      Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat

Comment

I like Room EQ Wizard. But have used HolmImpulse and ARTA in the past too.

Comment

With ARTA you can also use LIMP to get impedance measurements
          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I like the ARTA distortion measurements a lot. IIRC, you can display the distortion in percentage terms.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Arta is really good. I'm not sure if there's any better until you step up to an measurement platform with associated hardware like clio or whatever.

Be sure to get the latest version of arta, it does get updates from time to time.

Rew is nice to have ocassiooccas but that's free of course.

Comment

REW can also do impedance and distortion measurements. It get's updated often.
                Oh and it also does room simulation.

Comment

^ REW really is amazing, especially at Free.

Being open to a mix of free and paid packages works best for me / at this noob stage.

Using the below combo I've found to be a really nice set of powerful tools that'll let me skim along the surface until I'm ready to deep dive some other aspect, and then they provide extreme depth and capability to the chosen aspect mostly.

REW +
                  Dayton Audio DATS V2 Audio Test System(390-806) +
                  DAYTON AUDIO OMNIMIC V2 PRECISION MEASUREMENT SYSTEM(390-792)
                  Feel free to rip my assumptions apart when wrong, or fix if close.

Passive Radiators:
                  All PR(s) Vd must at-least double all woofer(s) Vd. Calc = Sd x Xmax to get Vd for all PR(s) and all woofer(s). If all PR(s) Vd at-least double all woofer(s) Vd they'll work.
                  For woofer(s) with large Xmax vs Sd, all PR(s) with Xmax at-least double all woofer(s) Xmax will work.
                  A PR max weight is said to be its Mms x3

PR Systems - tight focus with key parameters.
                  PR Speaker Design - thorough coverage.

Comment

Working...
                  X