No announcement yet.

Home MP3/HiRes Player?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My chromecast doesn't have an optical out. It only has a 3.5mm jack. I was using it through the Chrome Internet Browser on my laptop.

I use it some when surfing youtube for new music. I've found a lot of new bands by surfing the "other things you may like" bar on the right side of the youtube window. Then I buy the cd, or sometimes download a single MP3 if I only like the one song. Casting youtube or mp3's sounds like crap. Even my wife notices how lifeless it is. And the delay between the video on youtube and the sound is annoying. But fixing this problem is not really what I am after here.

I was not offended by any comments about apple products. I have no allegience to anything. I like iphones as a telephone/text device and that is all that I do with mine. I like the ipod touch because it was the first portable MP3 device that I ever saw and bought one. I had an early 2Gen that just died. I like the user interface, but I dont like the limits that it puts on your sound quality. That's why I was hoping to move away from it.

What I am dreaming of here is a standard stereo width box that I can set in my stereo rack, insert an sd card, solid state drive, or whatever storage, then control it with my laptop/phone via wifi. While it looks like there are such devices, they are not US market, and cost $1000 plus.

Comment

There’s all kinds of streamers under $500 that work from phone apps over WiFi , most accept flash drives and streaming services like Spotify have just about every mp3 you can imagine.....tidal is even better, they offer full cd quality and a ‘masters’ version for extra that offer 24/96 and mqa
      check out the bluesound node 2i.....$499 and awesome reviews....it has a nice dac so it connects right up to the analog inputs of your preamp.

Comment

I've seen some of those. I dont want their music, I want mine. I have no interest in anything that needs a subscription.

I'll check into the Node 2i. At first glance, it looks promising. But I cant figure out if it will play from a hard/flash drive or if it is only streaming with inputs for a cd or turntable. They make a version with a built in HD and cd ripper. But it is back in the $1000 range. After much back and forth, it looks like we are getting closer. I'm sure that what I am looking for is out there.

Comment

I used to think the same way until I got into streaming......most of the lo res stuff (mp3 and comparable) can be subscribed to for around $10 a month, some free if you put up with commercials (Pandora etc)
          I have subscribed to tidal hifi (24/96+)for almost a year now, its the best $20 a mo. I’ve ever spent....they allow you to save playlists of unlimited single tracks or whole albums, they offer brand new music of all genres the day it drops on the market.
          It’s all available instantly on whatever device you download the app to....as many as you want, just can’t run more than one at once. And tidal lets you store the music to your device so you can actually own it and play it ‘offline’ if needed.

Tidal also offers plain 320kbs for around $10 mo....all you can want or need if you were only doing mp3 anyway.

Gotta say it’s the most exciting thing about music i’ve Ever seen......I havn’t used my CD player since I subscribed, most recordings are as good or better sounding.
          And there is only a couple cd’s out of the 600 I own that can’t be had on tidal.

I have an elac discovery server/streamer that is kindly upper mid grade quality but have heard great things about the node 2i.....it was what I was going to buy but got a smoking deal on the elac.
          Actually the node 2i is a more versatile unit.....but the elac has a little better sound quality and comes with a lifetime Roon essentials subscription.

Bob

edit, upon checking the lower priced tidal is lossy 320kbs (mp3)

Comment

I'm just not a big fan of the streaming for a couple of reasons. My wife messed with the Pandora thing a few years ago and I didn't like it. She got bored with it and let it lapse. We have also just gotten into the streaming TV thing. I hate it and have all but stopped watching TV. That's a good thing. LOL
            Second, I dont like making payments on things. The only thing I make a payment on is my house mortgage and utilities. If I were to go streaming, when I got bored with it and/or tired of paying subscriptions, I would then have a useless $500 box. With a box with MY music on it, it is free from then on. It still works now and until the day that it burns out. As good as the streaming services sound, I know me, and will quickly get tired of spending the money on a subscription. I'm just being realistic with myself.

Comment

The box isn’t useless as you can still stream whatever you want to over WiFi with it from wherever you store it......you don’t need a subscription to play music.....node 2i is also a standalone dac and hey splurge a little and get the one with the hard drive 2tb I believe ......tidal offers a 30 day free trial. It’d be worth checking out. It’s not like pandora at all.....you search a title and choose what you want from like millions of titles.

Comment

I'm looking into the Node. The one with the HD is perfect, but is $1000. Too much money for me on this project. It's not $1000 worth of important to me. LOL

But if you can attach an HD to the Node 2i, I might be interested. The info is not very clear on it. I'm doing more research.

Comment

The way I gather it you can attach a nas (network attached storage device) so yes.....but you should verify that b4 taking my word.

I’ve been deep into this stuff and will probably end up getting a better streamer/dac this year......its that cool.

Totally awakened the inner child! I’m 54

bob

Comment

I've looked into doing the same for myself, and I found that building a Rasberry Pi music server would be easiest and most cost effective (not too difficult either!). HifiBerry have audio related options and cases to attach to the Rasberry Pi (DACs, DSP options, amps, etc). After, just install Volumino; which is a very simple software/interference app. Allowing you to control the music from your phone or tablet. All you'd need then is a storage option, either an SD card, or a separate hard drive. Cost will be

Another option is to purchase a DAP (Digital Audio Player). These have been getting surprisingly popular recently, as replacements to the iPod. Some of the newer models have the ability to link your phone to them, via bluetooth or WiFI, allowing you to control song selection/volume/etc. Fiio, Shanling, Cayin, Hidizs, and HiBy are brands that all have models with this feather. Added benefit of allowing you to take your music anywhere. Only downside is you are limited in storage amount to the size of SD card available; though currently it's 512 GB.

Cost for either one of the above options will be from $200-400 depending on what options or features you'd want.

Comment

Where is your music stored? I have my library on a server at home (any PC would do it) and run a DLNA server on that. This allows my music library to be streamable on my network anywhere. I have a Yamaha receiver with networking built in that can easily play everything I have, controlled by an app on my phone via WiFi.

I believe a DLNA compliant server would also be streamable to the Dayton "Hi-Fly" wireless products and controllable via your phone.
                      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                      Wogg Music
                      Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat

Comment

Originally posted by ksneote View Post
                        I've looked into doing the same for myself, and I found that building a Rasberry Pi music server would be easiest and most cost effective (not too difficult either!). HifiBerry have audio related options and cases to attach to the Rasberry Pi (DACs, DSP options, amps, etc). After, just install Volumino; which is a very simple software/interference app. Allowing you to control the music from your phone or tablet. All you'd need then is a storage option, either an SD card, or a separate hard drive.
                        A Raspberry Pi was what sparked my initial interest in doing this. The hardware end of a Pi is super easy. The programming is not. I've watched probably 20 videos on programming them. They are all 100% different and use different software. They show programming the Pi on a screen, yet the Pi has no screen. They leave a lot of info out of the process assuming that you already know what to do. I do not. The more I research them, the more confused that I got. Thus my search for a plug and play 'box" option.

Originally posted by wogg View Post
                        Where is your music stored? I have my library on a server at home (any PC would do it) and run a DLNA server on that. This allows my music library to be streamable on my network anywhere. I have a Yamaha receiver with networking built in that can easily play everything I have, controlled by an app on my phone via WiFi.

I believe a DLNA compliant server would also be streamable to the Dayton "Hi-Fly" wireless products and controllable via your phone.
                        Some of my music is stored on my laptop. Most is on cd. I started ripping all of my cd's to mp3 last fall but quit when I came to realization that it was not doing me any good. I had no access to play them from there. LOL

I dont play music on my AV receiver. It's class D and sounds like crap for anything but TV/movies. I have a small audio system to the side that uses a turntable, cd player, preamp, and amplifier. The Preamp has RCA inputs only and has no sort of networking.

As for creating DLNA servers, I know nothing about that... Over my head.

Comment

In my experience, my iPhone and iPad impart quite a bit of EQ to the headphone output even when EQ is disabled.

My Apple earbuds sound very bass shy and weak when connected to other devices like my vintage Sony Discman. My Panasonic earbuds sound fine (great) on the Discman.

The Panasonic earbuds sound very bass strong when connected to my Apple devices, so much so that I have to enable the EQ to reduce bass output.

I suspect Apple has adjusted the EQ to compensate for the type of earbuds they’re including?

FWIW I find the combo of the Apple earbuds and Apple iPhone or iPad to sound amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
                            In my experience, my iPhone and iPad impart quite a bit of EQ to the headphone output even when EQ is disabled.

My Apple earbuds sound very bass shy and weak when connected to other devices like my vintage Sony Discman. My Panasonic earbuds sound fine (great) on the Discman.

The Panasonic earbuds sound very bass strong when connected to my Apple devices, so much so that I have to enable the EQ to reduce bass output.

I suspect Apple has adjusted the EQ to compensate for the type of earbuds they’re including?

FWIW I find the combo of the Apple earbuds and Apple iPhone or iPad to sound amazing.
                            I dont know that I have ever plugged any earphones or buds into my iPod touch. I use it to aux into my home or car stereo. I listen to my headphones (Focal) all the time plugged into my laptop. That's about the only way I get to listen to all of the music that I have stored there. LOL

Comment

You appear to still need a physical plug and play device. A quick search for a CD player with a USB input found this: TEAC CD-P650-B

Plop your ripped collection on a thumb drive and off you go, or put your unripped disks in it. Done.
                              Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                              Wogg Music
                              Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
                                You appear to still need a physical plug and play device. A quick search for a CD player with a USB input found this: TEAC CD-P650-B

Plop your ripped collection on a thumb drive and off you go, or put your unripped disks in it. Done.
                                Well there's an interesting option! I will check into that. If that has a remote, I think that's the ticket. Especially if it has a digital out so I can do an external DAC at some point.

My NAD cd player was getting bitchy the other day and prompted me to be aware that I may need a new one soon.

Thanks.

Update: It does have a remote and an optical out. It also has a Burr Brown 1791ADBR, 24-bit/192kHz DAC.

Comment

Working...
                                X