Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recap of tuner

Hello all,

I know that this topic has been touched upon before but….

I have recently pulled out an old friend, a Pioneer TX-9500, out from storage and plan to use it in my main system. Now, this unit is more than forty years old and all advice tells us that the electrolytic caps should be replaced ASAP.

I have read a lot on the net both for and against recapping of a tuner due to the adjustment errors that could occur after the recap.

What is the advice? I see no electrolytics in the FM front end where a lot of adjustments are done but there are adjustments in other parts of the tuner also in the vicinity of caps.

On the other hand, forty years old electrocaps….

All advice is appreciated.

Best regards//lasse

Stockholm, Sweden

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blockschema.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	1406096
    Perry Mason talking to his dentist:

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Hey Lasse:

I am certainly NOT an authority, however, I have re-capped a Harmon Kardon Citation 18 tuner.

I was told by a guy that has an eBay store for upgrading HK stuff to ONLY replace the caps. At the same time I did the tuner I also rebuilt a 17 pre and a 16 amp. In the amp and pre I also replaced all the resistors with metal film.

He told me NOT to replace the resistors in the tuner. He said, "Metal film resistors are NOT good for the tuner. I listened because I certainly don't know any better. I'm just an idiot that happens to know how to solder!

So,,,,, I re-capped the tuner, again,,,,, only the caps and,,,,,ALL of them!

I did not have it realigned. It WORKS and I think, it sounds terrific! This tuner isn't leaving my system any time soon!

Hope this helps,,,,, Later, Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,

and thanks for the input.

Yes, I was only thinking of replacing the electrolytics and leave the rest alone.

Well, next to the inevitable question of WHICH cap to replace to, but as the amp (Citation 11 and 12) that will be connected to this Tuner has been recapped with Panasonic FC, then I Think that I will go for that type in the Tuner aswell.

Regards//lasse

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Comment

Well if you read the articles on Elliot Sound products website you might not replace them. He argues that they should last a very long time if not operated at high heat and voltage (ie, at their limits), and may not need replacement. Listen to it first, replace if it sounds bad I suppose. But read what he has to say.http://sound.whsites.net/index2.html

Comment

Originally posted by lasse View Post
          Hi Mark,

and thanks for the input.

Yes, I was only thinking of replacing the electrolytics and leave the rest alone.

Well, next to the inevitable question of WHICH cap to replace to, but as the amp (Citation 11 and 12) that will be connected to this Tuner has been recapped with Panasonic FC, then I Think that I will go for that type in the Tuner aswell.

Regards//lasse
          I used Elna Cerifine's. Sometimes I got more dollars than sense! I'm sure the Panasonics will be just fine!

Good luck, Mark

Comment

Originally posted by skatz View Post
            Well if you read the articles on Elliot Sound products website you might not replace them. He argues that they should last a very long time if not operated at high heat and voltage (ie, at their limits), and may not need replacement. Listen to it first, replace if it sounds bad I suppose. But read what he has to say.http://sound.whsites.net/index2.html
            Hi,

I can´t find the actual article where he states just that.

I thought that it was close to a natural law that electrocaps should be replaced after, as in this case, 43 years.

But the unit sounds very nice indeed!

Regards//lasse

Comment

By the way, the caps in the Pioneer tuner are, with few exceptions, Nippon Chemi-con with typical values from 47u/10V to 470u/25V

I wonder if this is a "hi-end" cap? Or was in the 70ies?

Regards again//lasse

Comment

On the ESP website, go to main menu/articles/components/capacitors

Comment

Originally posted by skatz View Post
                  On the ESP website, go to main menu/articles/components/capacitors
                  Ok, I get the message. Low temperature means long life in operating hours, but is this not also a question of ”calender time”?

Comment

If it sounds nice, I certainly would not risk causing problems by changing caps. I have an early 70's Kenwood receiver with all original caps that sounds very nice also.

Comment

Originally posted by Billet View Post
                      If it sounds nice, I certainly would not risk causing problems by changing caps. I have an early 70's Kenwood receiver with all original caps that sounds very nice also.
                      Yes, this is probably, in general, good advice.

On the other hand, I recapped a Citation 11/12 combo a few years ago and when measuring the old replaced caps, I could see examples of caps with values all over the place and one or two that were no longer caps at all.

Regards//lasse

Comment

Originally posted by lasse View Post

Ok, I get the message. Low temperature means long life in operating hours, but is this not also a question of ”calender time”?
                        Not necessarily according to him.

Comment

Try this link

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p...r-help.574853/
                          "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Working...
                          X