Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

OT: Sheet-good storage rack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Sheet-good storage rack

I haven't posted any speaker builds lately because I've been focused on getting my shop cleaned up and organized. While these posts aren't speaker builds, I think we can all relate to projects that make our workspace cleaner and more efficient, so I figured I'd share.

I've always struggled with storage of sheet goods. Before I built my pole barn workshop, I shared workspace with the cars in our garage so space was a premium. I would store them upright and I crafted a clamping system to try and keep them from warping. For a couple years now I've struggled to give up the floor space, but finally broke down and built this storage rack. I finally realized that storing 15+ sheets upright, I was giving up almost as much floor space and my sheets (especially the thinner ones) were beginning to warp. Plus, I had to constantly move them around to get to the sheets that I needed.

I looked up what a commercially available rack like this would cost me and they were in the $1200-$1600 range. Luckily, there's a steel supply yard near me that specializes in seconds and I was able to get all the steel I needed for about $160.

A local school was getting rid of some tools and I snagged this awesome power hacksaw. It's not the fastest thing, but it provides really smooth cuts and you can set it up for a cut and go work on other things for a few minutes. Since I was cutting 24+ foot long pieces of square tube, I needed some supports. My saw horses were too tall, so I used a piece of scrap tubing to whip up these simple little supports which worked out great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s20190209_235307.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	490.1 KB
ID:	1406259

Name:	s20190209_235337.jpg
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	1406260

Name:	s20190210_000130.jpg
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	1406261

After a few evenings of cutting steel, I had a stack of tubing ready for welding.

Name:	s20190217_152209.jpg
Size:	566.1 KB
ID:	1406262

And with careful material management, these were the only scraps left over.

Name:	s20190217_152218.jpg
Size:	777.2 KB
ID:	1406263

The first shelf laid out and ready for tacking into place:

Name:	s20190217_164658.jpg
Size:	530.6 KB
ID:	1406265
    After tacking each shelf, I did the full welds and I had all 4 shelves ready to be assembled. I used 2" square tubing for the 3 upper shelves and 1" square for the shelf that would be laying on the ground.

Name:	s20190217_231926.jpg
Size:	549.7 KB
ID:	1406266

I used 2.5" angle for the corners. I made wooden blocks to set the spacing between and zip-tied them in place during assembly. I debated bolting the shelves to the legs, but then I would have required cross-bracing to keep it steady. Plus, once this thing is assembled, I'm not planning on moving it... It weighs about 350 lbs!

Name:	s20190220_231652.jpg
Size:	658.0 KB
ID:	1406269
    After welding the shelves in place, I flipped it over and welded 1/8" plates to the bottom of each joint. This provided some "feet" for it to rest on and keep the tubing from laying on the concrete.

Name:	s20190221_224859.jpg
Size:	589.9 KB
ID:	1406268
    I then used some Rustoleum "tractor and implement" paint to give it a nice finish and hopefully keep it from rusting.

Name:	s20190227_223746.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	606.5 KB
ID:	1406270
    Attached Files

Comment

I used a couple furniture dollies to wheel it into the wood shop and get it as close to final position as I could. Due to the wall mounted shelves I had in place, I couldn't wheel it all the way into place. However, the 3rd shelf was just the right height that I could stand in the middle of it, squat about 1" and grab a hold of the cross braces. I was then able to squat it enough and shuffle my feet to get it into place.

Name:	s20190304_235702.jpg
Size:	395.0 KB
ID:	1406274
      I placed a sheet of 1/8" HDF on each shelf so that I could easily slide sheet goods in and out of each shelf. I used a scrap piece of 7/16" OSB on the top. I will build a small ladder so I can climb up on top and access all my lumber rack.

Name:	s20190305_000504.jpg
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	1406272

And then I loaded all my sheet goods onto it! Now, I need to go buy some more and load it up so it doesn't look so empty!

Name:	s20190305_002924.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	398.8 KB
ID:	1406275
      Attached Files

Comment

That is very nice, but flipped it over to weld on the feet sounds like a pretty good trick.
        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Very nice! I wish I had the space for a work area that you do.
          Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
            That is very nice, but flipped it over to weld on the feet sounds like a pretty good trick.
            LOL, it really wasn't too bad. I rolled it over to its side and put a furniture dolly underneath it. Then I moved it over and did another 1/4 roll. Getting it into its final resting place was the biggest challenge.

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
            Very nice! I wish I had the space for a work area that you do.
            Thanks. After years of shuffling machines around on mobile bases to get cars in/out of the garage, it's nice to be able to finally have a dedicated, well insulated/heated shop! As part of my shop clean-up and organizing, I'm actually getting a few machines off the mobile bases.

Comment

That is a serious solution for storing sheet goods. I like it!

Comment

Awesome

Comment

That looks great!

Comment

Looks roomy enough to hold sheets of veneer too if you're into that... sandwiched between a few sheets of whatever.
                    That is just cool. Nice welding too. Gotta get me some metal to play with on my welder now.
                    TomZ
                    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

What a superb job.

Comment

Nice. clean work

Comment

Working...
                        X