Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Crossover beginner needs help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossover beginner needs help!

Hello,

I am new to crossover design and I need help!
    I tried to design a 2 way crossover for the "Dayton Audio DSA215-8 8" Designer Series Aluminum Cone Woofer"
    and the "
    Dayton Audio AMT2-4 Air Motion Transformer Tweeter 4 Ohm" in the free software VituixCad without much luck..
    I am a total beginner and I dont know what I am doing. Could someone please help me out? I attached a picture with my current mess :D
    (sorry for bad english , don't judge me thanks :D)

Click image for larger version

Name:	crossover help.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1406352

The first thing to understand is what data you are using. Garbage in / out applies. If you are using manufacturer supplied FR and impedance (ZMA) files, then you should "adjust" these to meet your intended baffle shape / size and placement. Basically - the frequency response is affected by the baffle.

Unless you have a very large (infinite baffle) - aka wall mounting, a speaker box has what is called "baffle step". This is where high frequencies (> 1000Hz) are higher SPL than lower frequencies by about 6dB. You might see this as a gradual rise in repsonse on a woofer from 100Hz up to 1000 Hz. You need to take this into account so your speaker doesn't sound bass weak.

I can document a process to follow, but this is more than a single post can answer.

Comment

An 8" 2-way isn't the easiest.
      Your selection of an Al cone woofer makes it worse - 'cause metal cones "ring" (like a bell).
      An AMT tweeter (probably) makes the situation even worse, as they typically can't go very low (not fam. w/the 2-4 model and can't look it up right now).

Comment

Thanks for that fast answer!

Could you help me design a crossover for those 2 speakers? Im in kind of a rush and I dont think I got time to learn all about that topic in that amount of time.
        I plan to mound both speakers flush with the front of the speaker. I can give you all basic data and informations you need. I would appreciate your help very much!
        Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	8inch_studio_monitor_2018-Dec-29_07-59-00PM-000_CustomizedView18127024371.png
Views:	1
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	1406357

Comment

What is the rush? If you don't have the time to learn, then what goals are you trying to achieve?

As Chris has stated, those drivers are going to be difficult to make work. Can you share what lead you to those driver choices?

Comment

Really, you've been getting help since December. Are you actually making these designs? Is that rendering in post #4 real? It's all so odd.

Comment

The reason we might seem dismissive - is all too often people flip flop with driver choices, goals then apply constraints that make a design really limited.

Then we invest in helping you

Then you change your mind and we have to reset throwing away our time.

Comment

This post may help you with the process. If you aren't prepared to read it, then you can't blame us for not spending our time to help:
                https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...asurement.html

Comment

I'm sorry guys I don't want to waste your time. It's just that I want to design my own speakers and allways when it comes to the crossover I get frustrated and search for help and find out that the speakers can't go together for different reasons that I did not think of because of my lack of experience in this topic. I want speakers for my desk with good power and warm sound. I now realize that my decisions with my selection of drivers are everything other than good. My options are a bit limited because I life in germany and can't get all good speakers. Last thing I thought is that I will need 8 inch speakers so it won't be enough but now I realize that I'm wrong with that decision. My limited time I mentioned is because my speakers I got at the moment broke and I want to build my own ones with my dad in the near future.
                  I really appreciate all your help and it's not my plan to waste your time.

Comment

Sheesh. This kind of thing happens about once a week now. I'm curious: why is your time so valuable, but not the people here?
                    Francis

Comment

There is a learning curve and design is time consuming. It is not a slap-dash proposition. I recommend starting they way many of us did. Build a kit. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                        Really, you've been getting help since December. Are you actually making these designs? Is that rendering in post #4 real? It's all so odd.
                        Agreed, post #9 reads like spam.
                        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

A new breed of pushy, technically incompetent bots? The mind boggles...
                          Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
                            A new breed of pushy, technically incompetent bots? The mind boggles...
                            Could just be the younger generation self entitlement......our 26yo son thinks the world owes him a favor, then when no favors happen it’s everyones fault but his own!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post

Could just be the younger generation self entitlement......our 26yo son thinks the world owes him a favor, then when no favors happen it’s everyones fault but his own!
                              Heh. Well maybe. Although I've known people from 8 to 80 who have that attitude. But it is odd the guy made a nice drawing of the speaker, has been on the project since December, ignores everything he has been told, but is suddenly in a big rush. Very bot-like.
                              Francis

Comment

Working...
                              X