Crossover beginner needs help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a bot although that's what a bot would probably say
    Nevertheless I don't think anybody ows me any favor especially not you guys, I really appreciate your help tho. I just thought that it wouldn't be so hard to build a speaker. I designed the speaker enclosure in post 4# my self in fusion 360 with the help of the software winisd. My "rush" I have to build the speakers now is because my old ones just broke and I don't want to buy new one, rather build my own.

Comment

I know your in Germany but there are a lot of kits that ship internationally......takes the guesswork out of the equation and still gives some self satisfaction....also a good way to learn.

Comment

Are there any kits you can recommend? I like a front port so I can put them close to the wall. And they should not be that expensive because it would be a temporary solution until I learned enough to build my very own ones

Comment

Lautsprechershop/ Strassacker is the Dayton of Germany with more kits than anyone. https://www.lautsprechershop.de/index_intro_en.htm
          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by TheDnator View Post
            I'm not a bot although that's what a bot would probably say
            Nevertheless I don't think anybody ows me any favor especially not you guys, I really appreciate your help tho. I just thought that it wouldn't be so hard to build a speaker. I designed the speaker enclosure in post 4# my self in fusion 360 with the help of the software winisd. My "rush" I have to build the speakers now is because my old ones just broke and I don't want to buy new one, rather build my own.
            Alright, apologies for calling you a bot. I certainly agree that you need to start from scratch and build a kit, then study this stuff if you are serious about designing a quality speaker of your own design.
            Francis

Comment

Originally posted by TheDnator View Post
              Are there any kits you can recommend? I like a front port so I can put them close to the wall. And they should not be that expensive because it would be a temporary solution until I learned enough to build my very own ones
              https://www.lautsprechershop.de/inde...hifi/chess.htm

This looks like a good kit if you want an 8"/22cm two way. I would highly recommend selecting a kit from Strassaker if you're in Germany. We can help you select a kit if you wish.

Comment

That does look like a nice kit. I'm using the same Visaton WG with a Seas 27TDFC coupled with an 8" woofer and really like the WG results.
                "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Here's what I came up with for the woofer. Took hardly any time at all. Could be better probably. The amt download was blank. I'll try again tomorrow.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	-art d6ne.jpg Views:	1 Size:	513.8 KB ID:	1406510

Comment

There is also intertechnik.de with kits and designs.

Comment

Hi there.

A quick search found this design from Augerpro (Brandon) @ HTGuide using the AMT2-4. IT's in a WMTMW format - meaning the AMT2-4 is likely covering 3.5KHz+ (given the size of the mids in the design).

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...cept&styleid=6

Your DSA215 woofer has a reasonable FR profile. Usually the stiffer the cone material - the bigger the breakup at the top of the frequency curve. Luckily the DSA215 doesn't have a massive primary breakup so no notches will be required.

The issue with your 8" woofer is beaming above a certain frequency. You can see that in the manufacturer off-axis curves above 2KHz.

If I was crossing this woofer over - I might push as high as 1.5KHz - and then go for a 4th order or steeper acoustic target.

If I was crossing over the AMT tweeter - I wouldn't go lower than 3.5KHz. Even though the manufacturer states 2.5KHz up - usually manufacturers stretch their FR range to the limit. The limit being distortion and blown drivers if crossed over with shallow slopes or played at too loud a level (it eventually happens... we get the need, parties etc...).

So... you have a gap to fill between 1.5KHz and 3.5KHz. This means going to a 3 way design. A 3 way design is about twice as complicated as a 2 way with steep slopes, or 8 times more complicated if you have bandpass overlap and need phase alignment with all 3 drivers.

In summary:
                      1. Your drivers do not have enough overlapping response to work together and best suited for a 3 way
                      2. If you have bought your drivers - find a 3 way design that uses them. If you can't - sell them (or keep them if you really get into this hobby and build your own 3 way when you can measure and understand what you are doing in a few years)
                      3. If you haven't bought your drivers... please buy a kit or find a proven published DIY design (and ask for suggestions given your music tastes, listening room and budget).

Sorry to be a "wet blanket" as we say here... but I'm trying to save you money, frustration and disappointment. I'm not being a snob and I'm no expert. Just experienced enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bullet View Post
                        Hi there.

A quick search found this design from Augerpro (Brandon) @ HTGuide using the AMT2-4. IT's in a WMTMW format - meaning the AMT2-4 is likely covering 3.5KHz+ (given the size of the mids in the design).

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...cept&styleid=6

Your DSA215 woofer has a reasonable FR profile. Usually the stiffer the cone material - the bigger the breakup at the top of the frequency curve. Luckily the DSA215 doesn't have a massive primary breakup so no notches will be required.

The issue with your 8" woofer is beaming above a certain frequency. You can see that in the manufacturer off-axis curves above 2KHz.

If I was crossing this woofer over - I might push as high as 1.5KHz - and then go for a 4th order or steeper acoustic target.

If I was crossing over the AMT tweeter - I wouldn't go lower than 3.5KHz. Even though the manufacturer states 2.5KHz up - usually manufacturers stretch their FR range to the limit. The limit being distortion and blown drivers if crossed over with shallow slopes or played at too loud a level (it eventually happens... we get the need, parties etc...).

So... you have a gap to fill between 1.5KHz and 3.5KHz. This means going to a 3 way design. A 3 way design is about twice as complicated as a 2 way with steep slopes, or 8 times more complicated if you have bandpass overlap and need phase alignment with all 3 drivers.

In summary:
                        1. Your drivers do not have enough overlapping response to work together and best suited for a 3 way
                        2. If you have bought your drivers - find a 3 way design that uses them. If you can't - sell them (or keep them if you really get into this hobby and build your own 3 way when you can measure and understand what you are doing in a few years)
                        3. If you haven't bought your drivers... please buy a kit or find a proven published DIY design (and ask for suggestions given your music tastes, listening room and budget).

Sorry to be a "wet blanket" as we say here... but I'm trying to save you money, frustration and disappointment. I'm not being a snob and I'm no expert. Just experienced enough.
                        Would have a nice ‘BBC dip’ !

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post

Would have a nice ‘BBC dip’ !
                          That's a good point. Depending on your listening preferences (e.g. compressed rock / pop) this could be very favourable

Comment

Wow, thank you very much for your help! Im reading as much as possible about crossovers and speaker building in general. I try to learn as much as I can. I really appreciate your efforts!
                            I really like the looks of amt and ribbon tweeters (I know that you shouldn't go after looks as much). Also I said goodbye to the idea of making a 2 way 8 inch speaker but I don't want to go below a 5 inch for my room. Maybe somebody knows a good combo for the future. Again really appreciate all rour awesome help!

Edit: I did not order any components yet

Comment

Gave up already???? I just built 10" 2-ways. Best speakers I've owned.
                              Here's the sim for the 8" 2-way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	quicky.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	513.4 KB
ID:	1406652

Comment

While "Lautsprechershop/ Strassacker" is very interesting to look at, it SEEMs as though they basically condone "textbook" crossover design. NMCOT

Comment

Working...
                                X