Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Question about the Dayton Audio WBA31

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the Dayton Audio WBA31

This one on sale today: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...emote--300-597

Can it be set up to play iheart radio or pandora or similar streaming music sources without having to send it from the phone to the device? I don't really know how these work and the description doesn't help me a lot believe it or not.

My wife would love to listen to streaming music, but doesn't want to go 'through' her phone if you know what I mean. Like, not get pandora on her phone and have to stream it via Bluetooth to the this device. Would this be able to get internet pandora etc. right from the wireless router to this device? I assume her phone's app would control playlists, etc, but the phone wouldn't need to be on and 'transmitting' all the time if you know what I mean?

Thanks, I know nothing about this stuff.
    TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

I bought a couple of these a month or so ago to try them out... These will play Spotify and a couple other apps, but unfortunately they do NOT stream Pandora. If you want to use Pandora, then your phone has to do the "playing" and use the BT connection. I'm not sure about iheart radio. They also have the ability to store files on an SD card and play from that. There is a HiFly app to go on your phone that allows you to control them. I prefer Pandora, and have a paid subscription with it, so I will just use it as a BT receiver.

Comment

Okay, thanks Ben.

I'm embarrassed on how much I DON'T know about stuff like this. Guess I'll ask my wife if she wants to set up a Spotify acct. then.

TomZ
      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally, the Linkplay devices had a native app for Pandora, but it was removed quite a few "updates" ago. But the Spotify app is very good, and Pandora seems to by dying, anyway: https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.c...r-100m-behind/. There is an iHeart app and some others (Napster, TIDAL and supposedly NPROne on its way). Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't support casting to this Linkplay device, but the next generation of modules that are Alexa-enabled should work.

You can also run Spotify on your PC and select the WBA31 as the output device. And if someone wants to change the music, they can do so from their Spotify phone app or from another PC. It's pretty nice. And if you have multiple WBA31 modules, the multi-room playback and routing is fun to play with.

My wife likes using the Spotify app, but I usually don't use any of the streaming apps. I use these WiFi devices to cast from Playcast, which is available in the Windows store for $10. Playcast supports FLAC playback, so if you have a library of FLAC encoded music, you can stream at 16bit/44.1KHz to the WBA31. There are some other music players that will recognize the WBA31, but as far as I know, the only one that plays back FLAC is Playcast.
        Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Thanks guys for the input.

I guess I misread, it wasn't really on sale. Maybe I'll wait until it does to pick one up.
          My wife tells me that iHeart is what she uses on the Amazon assistant so she's used to those categories, that will work. I'm familiar with Spotify, I think I even have an account when my niece told me about it, so that helps.
          Looks like a good solution for us. It's not all that much more than a decent dedicated Bluetooth receiver.
          Thanks

TomZ

Comment

I have two WiFi speakers that are taking space that I want to give away in exchange for some help. The speakers are described in more detail in this article: http://www.audiodevelopers.com/jab3-250-wifi-speaker/ . They use WFA-02, which doesn't have Bluetooth...just WiFi and an analog input. The cabinets aren't in perfect shape, but they are "OK"

I'd like to give this to you in exchange for a process write-up or video that shows people how to measure their speakers and use the DSP control software to optimize the sound. Unfortunately, the software on these speakers can only be controlled from the LCD display, and it is only for a two-way system. The new software I have is controlled by Bluetooth from a cell phone and it is 3-way, and it would take too much time to modify for this design. But the LCD display lets you control all of the DSP functions--just not as convenient, because the display is on the back of the speaker. What I am looking for is some instructions on how to set the crossover type and frequency and levels using measurements to get close, and how you can use the EQ and Custom Filters to dial in the final response. What you come up with for this speaker would be applicable to the other DSP boards I have, since the Crossovers, Volume Trim, EQ, Delay, and Custom Filters is the same for the 3-way boards.

So that's the deal...free WiFi speakers with DSP control in exchange for a write-up on how to use the software and some feedback on how it could be improved. You get to keep the speakers and sell them, give them away, reuse the parts, or whatever you want.

One complication in this "deal" is shipping. The boxes are .5cuft, which means shipping is probably too expensive. So I'm posting to find out if you are going to be in the DC area (I am in Reston) or in Western Maryland (we have a cabin in Oakland, MD). Or, do you live anywhere near Hanover Township in Morris County?. My wife has an original map of that area that she was going to donate to their historical society, and we might make a trip there to drop it off.
            Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Aw, c'mon guys...these are nice WiFi speakers with Morel 6" woofers, Hiquphon OW1 tweeters and 50watt amps per side. Plus DSP active crossovers and EQ and bass enhancement.. And cherry cabinets.

I was making the offer to Tom because he does nice clear write-ups, but the offer is to anyone who can write well. Just write up the steps you use to make the speakers flat and good sounding using the DSP with the LCD display, and show how the measurements change with the tweaks. I'll post the write-up on the Audiodevelopers web site with your name as the author, and you get to keep the speakers. The only complication is that I don't want to package them up and send them though the mail...need to figure out a way to either pick them up or get them delivered by car.

See the article at this link for pictures.

Comment

Neil, so you are looking for someone to just basically use the speakers and all the abilities and write how to do so? If Tom isn't in for it/able to receive them I'd be interested. But I'd like to allow Tom the option....
                Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Yes--I just need someone to use the DSP controls to optimize the sound from these active 2-ways and then write up a good process for others to follow. And tell me some ways to make the user interface better or whether some additional DSP functions would be useful. I just don't have the time to do the write-up myself, and I'd rather get this in the hands of someone who is more familiar with using conventional measurement tools. I've got OmniMic, but I have only used it a couple of times to spot-check some things, but I'm not a good authority on measurement and tweaking.

I thought Tom might still be looking at this thread so I posted it here, but I haven't heard from him, so maybe I need to start a new thread or PM him.

BTW, I recently updated these speakers from a design that used the now-obsolete TAS3004 DSP chip and some TI class D power amps--that was back in 2003 or 2004. I gave them to Dennis Murphy to play with, and they sat in his house for about 5 years. So they have been on loan before, and now it's time to give them away. The WiFi modules make them a lot of fun to play with. You can cast from your PC, phone or other devices, and you don't need a rack of equipment with the built-in amps. If you don't want to use them yourself, they would make nice gifts.

Comment

Ohhh, I don't have any measurement equipment, but definitely PM Tom, I'm sure he'd be great at it.
                    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

I PM'ed Tom, but he is up to his eyeballs in other projects, and it's not a good time for him. I'll start another post to see if someone else is interested. Or I may hang onto these a little longer to use the power supply and CPU to test some mods that I wanted to try on another JAB3-250 board.

Thanks for your interest..

Comment

Working...
                      X