Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Need help deciding on garage workshop speakers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need help deciding on garage workshop speakers

    So, I am suffering from paralysis by analysis trying to figure out which speakers I want to build for my garage workshop.

    Details in no particular order:

    The workshop area of my garage is roughly 18' square with a garage door on one side and is open to the rest of the garage on the other side. Cement floor and drywall on the walls and ceiling.

    I currently listen to streaming music through an Amazon Echo input so that I can use voice commands to pause, repeat, skip, volume up/down while working in the shop, so the source quality is not that great. I listen to mostly what I would call 70s, 80s and 90s "garage rock" while working in there.

    The speakers will be wall mounted, probably spaced about 2" from the wall, at roughly ear level while standing. I don't want them to stick out too far from the wall, so I will need a design that I can modify so the cabinets are not too deep.

    Budget-wise, I am looking at around $200 for drivers and crossover components, but I could probably go higher without too much arm twisting .

    Would like something that has good bass, since I really don't want to have a subwoofer taking up space(or the added expense, plus a new amp to drive it).

    ideas I have considered;

    Classix II - But I have already built the Classix 2.5 and really want to do something different.

    Scott Sehlin's Hafnium - I had all the parts in my cart ready to go, but I was wondering if there was something maybe not better but different that I was overlooking (the paralysis part).

    Wolf's Xenolith's got me interested until I found that the mids were NLA.

    I also considered Johnny Richard's GRS three-way,very inexpensive, but I don't know if I would be happy with the bass.

    There are also a ton of 2-ways that I looked at on the forum, but too many choiices, I got excited about a different one several times a day.

    Bottom line is, that I want to build a pair of speakers that will put a smile on my face when I am working in the shop, building more speakers, or patching bike tires, or assembling a barbie kitchen...

    I hope you all can help me, because my head is spinning with too many possibilities.

    Thanks,

    Richard



  • #2
    I think you would like JR's 3 way. If you need more bass, get a sub. I have built 3 or 4 of his designs and I am happy with all of them.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think given the sound limitations of a garage, with its hard surfaces etc and your source material, you'd want a speaker with a slightly laid back sound. I know you don't want to build a Classix II, but I think it would work well in your space. Our garage/workshop is a similar size - about 15' x 15'; our Classix II work very well and have enough bass for me at normal listening levels.

      We have them on stands so they're about ear level when I'm seated.

      Nothing wrong with using (almost) the same speakers in different places.

      Geoff

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by howard View Post
        I think you would like JR's 3 way. If you need more bass, get a sub. I have built 3 or 4 of his designs and I am happy with all of them.
        This is the 3 way I was thinking about. Hard to beat a pair of three ways for less than $70 for drivers and crossover.

        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...rs-small-3-way

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
          I think given the sound limitations of a garage, with its hard surfaces etc and your source material, you'd want a speaker with a slightly laid back sound. I know you don't want to build a Classix II, but I think it would work well in your space. Our garage/workshop is a similar size - about 15' x 15'; our Classix II work very well and have enough bass for me at normal listening levels.

          We have them on stands so they're about ear level when I'm seated.

          Nothing wrong with using (almost) the same speakers in different places.

          Geoff
          Geoff,

          The Classix were one of my first thoughts, but l really want to try something different and there is an outside chance I might end up with my Classix 2.5s in the garage, although they are a bit larger than I would like for out there. I don't think I could bring myself to do that though.

          I am new at speaker building, so I wanted to get an idea of something different. I like my Classix, but from all I have read midrange is not the DC160s strong suit which is why I was considering a 3 way like the Hafniums. The midrange used in that design seems to get alot of praise.



          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jakes_dad View Post

            Geoff,

            The Classix were one of my first thoughts, but l really want to try something different and there is an outside chance I might end up with my Classix 2.5s in the garage, although they are a bit larger than I would like for out there. I don't think I could bring myself to do that though.

            I am new at speaker building, so I wanted to get an idea of something different. I like my Classix, but from all I have read midrange is not the DC160s strong suit which is why I was considering a 3 way like the Hafniums. The midrange used in that design seems to get alot of praise.


            Those speakers look beautiful, well done, too good for a garage and its associated grot, grime, dust, etc.

            Mr Carmody acknowledges the limitations of the DC160, but I think his designs make the most of it.

            A garage is usually an un-friendly place sound wise, which is why I like a laid back sound there; I tried a more 'detailed' and expensive speaker and the sound was a little harsh compared with the Classix. Too many hard surfaces.


            Geoff

            Comment


            • #7
              JR has a GRS 2 way IIRC he thought was at least as good as the little 3 way. 6" woofer, cheap tweeter.

              Comment

              Working...
              X