Design Help: UM10-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design Help: UM10-22

I don't understand the modeling software, so I'm looking for design help.

Looking to build a custom cabinet for the UM10-22. Limited on certain dimensions, have to pass the 'approval factor' and squeeze it next the the couch. Was thinking about a rack-mount amp like the Crown XLS 1002 or similar to power it. Dimensions need to stay close to 12" wide x 17" high x 2' deep. I wanted to set this up for home theater and music. I'm a woodworker and have already completed a custom sub build, here, loved the outcome.

Any help is appreciated, I will post pics too!
    Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

Have you tried using WinISD? I'm no scientist, yet I think I'm almost useful at it.

Assuming 3/4" material, you'd have internal dimensions of about two cubic feet, a bit larger than the suggested. Find out the displacement of the driver, then decide how much bracing you want. With a volume of 1.6 cu ft I tuned the box to 23hz and got an f3 of 20hz. Used a 2 x 8" slot port to make sure vent air velocity was under 20 meters/second at half RMS.

For my last sub build I used sketchup and an online calc for the dimensions/port situating.

A sample file with your sub from WinISD:
    MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

Comment

Dang, you called me out. I'm a geologist......

I honestly haven't tried WinISD out before. I'll give it a shot. I can work with what you gave me on design, I used Sketchup before and it was helpful. What kind of wattage could your example design handle? Also, best to fire the port forward? Sub maybe close to the wall in back.
      Last edited by Jetfire; 03-16-2019, 11:21 PM. Reason: Edit

Comment

At 500 watts, xmax was reached at F3(20hz). At 250 watts like 17hz or something.

The last sub I constructed had the port facing forward, but it was a PA sub. I don't think it's terribly important for an indoor sub.

Comment

Copy, thanks.

Comment

Where are you a geologist?
            Here's a design I did a few years back after measuring a pair of UM-10s.
            (This would have no boost - of course.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	UM10slot22cfn.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1406994

Comment

I think my Overdrive 10 qualifies here. 26 ltr PR-based bandpass. Anechoic bandwidth is 22-65Hz.

Edit: Rory (the UM designer) also strongly recommends a sealed box for the UM series.

The bandpass design takes care of the extension early roll-off with a boosted plate amp. Rory said this design sounds good too. I have his seal of approval.

Later,
              Wolf
              Last edited by Wolf; 03-17-2019, 06:11 AM.
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

This is the 12" (Fc 32hz) in a well known mastering studio. I also use the 18" a lot! I also vote sealed! Click image for larger version  Name:	Dan SUB.jpg Views:	1 Size:	89.7 KB ID:	1407009
                Last edited by xmax; 03-17-2019, 09:54 AM. Reason: Dyslexia.
                Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                  Where are you a geologist?
                  Here's a design I did a few years back after measuring a pair of UM-10s.
                  (This would have no boost - of course.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	UM10slot22cfn.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1406994
                  In the Seattle area. Thanks, that gets low.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                    I think my Overdrive 10 qualifies here. 26 ltr PR-based bandpass. Anechoic bandwidth is 22-65Hz.

Edit: Rory (the UM designer) also strongly recommends a sealed box for the UM series.

The bandpass design takes care of the extension early roll-off with a boosted plate amp. Rory said this design sounds good too. I have his seal of approval.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    Cool design, a little complex for me and I'd need another driver.

Comment

hard rock, or ?

Comment

hard rock, or ?
                        I always ease into details on geology....... Studied structure in college, mostly in the NW and dipping down into northern California. For a job I'm doing environmental consulting. Although it's still a job, working with a bunch of geo's keeps things interesting.

Comment

Got my B.S. in "Environmental G." (a LONG time ago - back before companies thought about that kind of stuff) from UW-Oshkosh.
                          When I graduated we were shutting down oil wells in the Gulf faster than . . . (just buying it cheaper from OPEC). Guys a few yrs. ahead of me w/Masters ended up flipping burgers down in LA/MS - so I went into the printing trade.

LOVED the Geo field trips though (esp. "Field Camp" - 48 nights in a sleeping bag through the Canadian Rockies on up to Tagish L. and Whitehorse).
                          GREAT memories !

Comment

Got my B.S. in "Environmental G." (a LONG time ago - back before companies thought about that kind of stuff) from UW-Oshkosh.
                            When I graduated we were shutting down oil wells in the Gulf faster than . . . (just buying it cheaper from OPEC). Guys a few yrs. ahead of me w/Masters ended up flipping burgers down in LA/MS - so I went into the printing trade.

LOVED the Geo field trips though (esp. "Field Camp" - 48 nights in a sleeping bag through the Canadian Rockies on up to Tagish L. and Whitehorse).
                            GREAT memories !
                            I loved my field camps too, so much fun. The combo of science, math, and hiking really kept me interested. Even went back and TA'ed our longer one (~42 nights) since I couldn't get enough.

Some of my mentors coming up got out of school when things were tough for geologists, glad I had a different experience!

Comment

Originally posted by duronboy View Post
                              Have you tried using WinISD? I'm no scientist, yet I think I'm almost useful at it.

Assuming 3/4" material, you'd have internal dimensions of about two cubic feet, a bit larger than the suggested. Find out the displacement of the driver, then decide how much bracing you want. With a volume of 1.6 cu ft I tuned the box to 23hz and got an f3 of 20hz. Used a 2 x 8" slot port to make sure vent air velocity was under 20 meters/second at half RMS.

For my last sub build I used sketchup and an online calc for the dimensions/port situating.

A sample file with your sub from WinISD:

I'm in the process of doing my sketchup design and noticed that I don't have a port depth. Can you help me out with that dimension? I'll post my model to make sure I'm on track. Thanks in advance!!

Comment

Working...
                              X