7-8" woofers for 3 ways. will you hear much difference scanspeak RS225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7-8" woofers for 3 ways. will you hear much difference scanspeak RS225

when people rave about the scanspeaks just how much better are they in the frequency range of say below 400 hz required in a 3 way design? will the scanspeak 7" revelator outperform the RS225 in terms of F3 and bass definition and texture. Assuming each is performing in this lower freq range and each in it optimum vented enclosure? Is it worth the extra expense?
    yes
    33.33%
    no
    66.67%

no idea whats going on here with the poll requirement??????? please disregard

Comment

I'm sure you know what you're going for, but I like to unload the real low frequencies to a subwoofer, or at least a decent size woofer like 12" or 15". That way the lower midrange isn't intermodulated by extreme cone excursion. I've also used several 8" drivers for very low bass.
      Francis

Comment

Yes I want to stay with a True 3 way speaker with no subwoofer. About the highest I will go with the woofer is around 400 hz. I have a couple subs and really don’t like them for music.

Comment

Having used the RS225-8 several times in both 2-ways and 3-ways, as well as the SS 18W/8531, the RS225 has the advantage of a 43% larger Sd with a 7.5% larger Xmax. Used in a 3-way below 400 Hz, I'd give the thumbs up to the RS225.
          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
            Having used the RS225-8 several times in both 2-ways and 3-ways, as well as the SS 18W/8531, the RS225 has the advantage of a 43% larger Sd with a 7.5% larger Xmax. Used in a 3-way below 400 Hz, I'd give the thumbs up to the RS225.
            Paul
            I had seen you or dennis murphy really rave about one of the scanspeaks maybe it was the 8". So in most 3 ways is the RS225 going to perform close enough that its unnecessary expense.

Comment

If you can spring for a ten in a big box....
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fi...3&d=1552006163

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
                If you can spring for a ten in a big box....
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fi...3&d=1552006163
                10” a little big and I’d have to cross the midrange pretty low

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse055 View Post

It works fine in a 2-way, I have one currently. My box is much smaller, and sealed.though.

Comment

The SS 18W/8531 Revelator is an excellent driver ("Zaph" considered it better than the significantly more expensive SS 7" Illuminator). I'm using it in the Brioso and it's really good but it's a 2-way with the 8531 crossing to the tweeter at 2.1 kHz and covering most of the midrange.. In a 3-way crossed to a midrange at 400 Hz, my subjective opinion is that the RS225 would be able to perform better in the bass due to its size while not detracting at all from the midrange where the 8531 likely is better. Dennis has used both 7" and 8" SS woofers in his product line and likes them very much.
                    Paul

I had seen you or dennis murphy really rave about one of the scanspeaks maybe it was the 8". So in most 3 ways is the RS225 going to perform close enough that its unnecessary expense.

Comment

So, 10" is a bit big, but the rs270p models well in a sealed box which may be quite a bit smaller than a vented box for the RS225. I wouldn't worry about either of these woofers going up to 400hz, they extend much further than that.

Comment

It depends on how loud you listen. The ScanSpeak has more actual linear excursion than the Dayton so you will be able to get more clean output. At low levels, you probably won't hear a ton of difference, and you could always get more of the Daytons for less than one of the Scans will cost.
                        -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                          It depends on how loud you listen. The ScanSpeak has more actual linear excursion than the Dayton so you will be able to get more clean output. At low levels, you probably won't hear a ton of difference, and you could always get more of the Daytons for less than one of the Scans will cost.
                          I don’t listen that loud actually. Maybe at moderate sound levels I doubt I ever go above 90 dB at my listening position some 8-9 feet away

Comment

I'd use the RS225. In ~1.5 ft3 box tuned to 28 Hz using a 2.5" x 10" port, you're F3 will be 32 Hz.

They're well respected regardless of price. Look up previous builds from some of the top designers.

Comment

I don’t listen that loud actually. Maybe at moderate sound levels I doubt I ever go above 90 dB at my listening position some 8-9 feet away
                              That may not seem that sound but at 1m you are at almost 100 dB. Not that the RS series won't handle it, but you will likely have lower distortion from the ScanSpeak. For pure bass though, I would look at the Illuminators instead of the Revelators. They have somewhere around 8 mm Klippeled Xmax if I remember correctly. The RS series is more like a true 3.5 mm Klippel. Or you could look at the Dayton Esoteric line. Those have verified Klippel results and can produce some exceptionally clean bass.
                              -Kerry

Comment

Working...
                              X