No announcement yet.

7-8" woofers for 3 ways. will you hear much difference scanspeak RS225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can spare the space, to me the obvious solution is dual rs225. Still cheaper than the scans and way more surface area. All that cone area will result in lower excursion for the same output and thus lower distortion.

Comment

Thanks for that simplified explanation Mr. Holtz.
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse055 View Post

Thanks Jim, appreciate your opinions. So what has been your favorite tweeter of the ones you and Curt have utilized?
        I have three that I really like. Each has a different application. The AC AST2560's are my current favorites. Stunning sound quality and accuracy, IMHO. Ribbons are always a favorite when you can cross high. Fountek NeoCD3.0's and Viawaves sound wonderful. Finally, I'm a big fan of Hiquphon dome tweeters.

For less money, Seas 22TFF, Seas 27TDFC, SB dimple domes and several others, Scan 9130 (old HDS) and a bunch of others.

HTH

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
          Thanks for that simplified explanation Mr. Holtz.
          Your welcome but take it for what its worth. It's 2nd hand info and just my take on Curt's explanation.

I'm old but not that old. Just call me Jim...

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post

I have three that I really like. Each has a different application. The AC AST2560's are my current favorites. Stunning sound quality and accuracy, IMHO. Ribbons are always a favorite when you can cross high. Fountek NeoCD3.0's and Viawaves sound wonderful. Finally, I'm a big fan of Hiquphon dome tweeters.

For less money, Seas 22TFF, Seas 27TDFC, SB dimple domes and several others, Scan 9130 (old HDS) and a bunch of others.

HTH

Jim
            I’m running the RS28f and the Neo 3.0 in speakers now. How much better do you like the AST2560’s?

Comment

Hi Jessie,

This is purely subjective. Again, its all about the application. If I have selected a mid that needs to cross below 2K, the RS28F would be my choice of your 3 tweeters. If I was using a smaller mid that could cross comfortably at 3.5K or higher and it was a budget conscious project, I'd use the NeoCD3.0. If I was using a mid that needed to cross in the 2K-3K area and I had the budget plus could use an open back on the tweeter, I'd go for the AST2560. That works extremely well in our Bordeaux design.

Finally, if it's a budget design I would select one of the several I listed. I like 3/4" tweeters for their exceptional off axis response compared to 1" domes but crossover frequency becomes the deciding factor.

Subjectively, the AST2560 has a combination of the NeoCD3.0 open airy sound with the precision of a dome. It strikes the right compromise to my ears. YMMV....

Jim

Comment

I've found the same thing in my experiences. The XT19 could be crossed pretty low, at least 2.5 kHz, possibly a bit lower, but I think there have been some changes over the years to it and the current version doesn't do as well?
                Paul

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
                Hi Jessie
                Finally, if it's a budget design I would select one of the several I listed. I like 3/4" tweeters for their exceptional off axis response compared to 1" domes but crossover frequency becomes the deciding factor.
                Jim

Comment

Working...
                X