Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about the Dayton Audio RSS315HO-4...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the Dayton Audio RSS315HO-4...

There's a car audio show coming up in a few weeks, and seeing that basically all the main speakers in my car are Dayton drivers (RS180Ps and ND28Fs in the back, RS180Ps and ND28Fs in the front and ND16s high up in the doors, I'm considering swapping out the Alpine Type R subwoofers and replacing them with the Dayton RS315HOs to go "full Dayton". Net box size works out to about 1.5 cu.ft. sealed each, and they will be driven by an amp capable of 600W RMS into each driver. The feedback on the RS315HOs seems to be quite positive, but I wonder how behave when driven past Xmax? Do they overload gracefully, or do they sound really bad when driven just past rated Xmax?
    Brian Steele
    www.diysubwoofers.org

Is there an Xmech rating for this driver? If the spider is close to "locking-up" then I suspect it might sound bad when pushed to it's limits.

Comment

I use an RSS265 pushed by about 300W, it's quite clean beyond what I'm willing to expose myself to.
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music
      Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

well not exactly apples to apple, but I have a pair of these in 1.4cuft boxes tuned to around 25-28hz. I use the 300 watt bash plate amps and I can't say I've ever bottomed them.

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far everyone. I'm seriously considering the upgrade, so I can show up at the show with an "all Dayton" build. I considered the Ultimax drivers as well, but I prefer the aesthetics and the lower Le (and corresponding semi-inductance parameters) for the RSS series, I'm not a boomer, and with only 600rms on tap for each driver, I don't really need tons of excursion potential on a low efficiency driver.
          Brian Steele
          www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Crunching the numbers and looking at excursions vs frequency, these drivers will be difficult to reach xmax above 25hz. Even in 2cuft enclosures they will take gobs of power beyond recommended power to get close. Winisd has all the figures You need to see how they will perform. Doublsmm on utube has abused a pair in large vented enclosures and might be worth checking out. I have a pair I haven’t built yet. I’m considering a 4cuft enclosure with drivers facing away from each other on two of the sides and two 15”PR facing away from each other on the other two sides, through bolting using threaded rod. Tuning somewhere around 23hz ish. I think they would make excellent “relatively small” low frequency effects for movies. The drivers and PRs being opposed from each other would eliminate the cabinet bouncing around. Could even dual use as a side table, extra thick top and bottom to eliminate cabinet resonance, perhaps corner rubber stickies with led lit top to find beverages in the dark? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Ames View Post
              Crunching the numbers and looking at excursions vs frequency, these drivers will be difficult to reach xmax above 25hz. Even in 2cuft enclosures they will take gobs of power beyond recommended power to get close. Winisd has all the figures You need to see how they will perform. Doublsmm on utube has abused a pair in large vented enclosures and might be worth checking out. I have a pair I haven’t built yet. I’m considering a 4cuft enclosure with drivers facing away from each other on two of the sides and two 15”PR facing away from each other on the other two sides, through bolting using threaded rod. Tuning somewhere around 23hz ish. mybkexperience I think they would make excellent “relatively small” low frequency effects for movies. The drivers and PRs being opposed from each other would eliminate the cabinet bouncing around. Could even dual use as a side table, extra thick top and bottom to eliminate cabinet resonance, perhaps corner rubber stickies with led lit top to find beverages in the dark? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I considered the Ultimax drivers as well, but I prefer the aesthetics and the lower Le (and corresponding semi-inductance parameters) for the RSS series, I'm not a boomer, and with only 600rms on tap for each driver, I don't really need tons of excursion potential on a low efficiency driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
                Thanks for the responses so far everyone. I'm seriously considering the upgrade, so I can show up at the show with an "all Dayton" build. I considered the Ultimax drivers as well, but I prefer the aesthetics and the lower Le (and corresponding semi-inductance parameters) for the RSS series, I'm not a boomer, and with only 600rms on tap for each driver, I don't really need tons of excursion potential on a low efficiency driver.
                What did you decide? I have one which I want to use in my house in a sealed box.

Comment

Originally posted by johngalt47 View Post

What did you decide? I have one which I want to use in my house in a sealed box.
                  I haven't pushed the button yet - still awaiting news about my job at the office. We are going through another "restructuring" exercise...

I missed the last car show, but there is another one coming up in a few weeks... :-)
                  Brian Steele
                  www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

For your use they may be more of a sidegrade- great drivers, but so are the alpines, they're one of the few "car" companies making decent motors as far as I know.

Comment

Working...
                    X