Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pondering new builds to improve my sound, er...life.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pondering new builds to improve my sound, er...life.

It's been quite awhile since I built my 8" 2 way speakers. They really have served me well but I feel myself wanting more but I am insure what to do. I really like the Solstice speakers in the Parts Express kit section and it is a really good deal, but they are a little too much cash right now. I'd like something comparable if that is possible. I don't want or like subwoofers so it needs to be fairly low, below or at 30hz. Also, I don't mind constructing my cabs, so I'm not limited to the kits.

When you say comparable, do you mean a TMM in a MLTL cab with 6" woofers, or a speaker with generally comparable performance? A tower? Budget? The Solstice is over $1K for a pair, not counting finish.

Comment

TMM that is comparable in sound performance but a less expensive. I am thinking this might be a tall order. The Solstice as a kit is already a lot cheaper than if you bought the parts individually.

Comment

The determinant of the quality of that kit is the woofers, which are very high end but not particularly high value. A good design with woofers costing a lot less could offer 90% of the performance, depending on how loud you like them. Parts express doesn't sell any kits in that bracket, unfortunately.

The thing about the Solstice is that you get a lot for your money. It's probably the best bargain in DIY audio. The woofers for a pair retail for over $900 dollars; you basically get a free cabinet and crossover.

Comment

Your listening style (e.g., music type, volume requirements, home theater, etc) would help point to an existing design speaker design. Also whether you need cabinets or have the woodworking skills to build your own boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
            Your listening style (e.g., music type, volume requirements, home theater, etc) would help point to an existing design speaker design. Also whether you need cabinets or have the woodworking skills to build your own boxes.
            +1

Also, are you set on TMM, or could you go for MTM, where I think there are many more options.

However, what exactly isn't 'right' about your existing speakers? Are they lacking in bass, mids, highs or other areas? You might find that room placement or treatments might help deal with those issues.

We love our "Slapshot" speakers by Curt Campbell: an MTM with Morel CAT378 tweeters and Dayton RS180P woofers, which sound great on all our listening choices: jazz, classics, pop/rock but no 'hip hop', metal or techno. They reveal a lot of detail and F3 in Mr Campbell's suggested MLTL cabinet is about 38 Hz I think.

Parts cost would probably be around US$500, but you could work the exact amount from PE.

Geoff

Comment

Forum member Paul K has some MLTL designs that are well thought of, he doesn't have a website, so you'll have to dig to find them.

Comment

From your post in another thread, it looks like your speakers are two ways with Dayton DC28F and DC200s, is that right?

As per my post above, the Morels are excellent tweeters, and the Dayton Reference series are great value for the quality of sound and appearance. The RS180P mids are really a stand-out, vocals in particular sound really natural, provided they have been recorded properly of course.

The only down side to having more revealing speakers or any other component for that matter is that they may reveal the shortcomings of lesser quality recordings or mixes.
                I haven't heard your speakers or the DC200s of course but if their sound is like the DC160s, the bass will be solid but mids may be a bit laid back.

Geoff
                Last edited by Geoff Millar; 04-12-2019, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                  I listen to Jazz (modern and traditional) 70's rock, metal, old country, rockabilly, and 80's pop stuff. The rock and the metal tend to push my tweeters (Dayton 275-070 "Silky") to limits that starts to distort. This is at higher volumes.
                  I have the ability and have built nice cabinets so this is not a problem at all.
                  My receiver is 100 watts and I listen to mostly vinyl, CD's, Apple music (Downloaded, of course) and tapes, in that order. Vinyl is my 1# source.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
                    From your post in another thread, it looks like your speakers are two ways with Dayton DC28F and DC200s, is that right?

As per my post above, the Morels are excellent tweeters, and the Dayton Reference series are great value for the quality of sound and appearance. The RS180P mids are really a stand-out, vocals in particular sound really natural, provided they have been recorded properly of course.

The only down side to having more revealing speakers or any other component for that matter is that they may reveal the shortcomings of lesser quality recordings or mixes.
                    I haven't heard your speakers or the DC200s of course but if their sound is like the DC160s, the bass will be solid but mids may be a bit laid back.

Geoff
                    I use the Dayton 275-070 "Silky and the Dayton 295-310 8" Classic. I absolutely love the woofers. I know there is better out there and that really makes it even more exciting because these are not expensive woofers at all. The XO that Chris designed for this enclosure just blows me away. When I listen to Jazz, it's all right there in front of me, just incredible. It's the rock where is falls to deliver. It's the highs that fail to come through.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                      Forum member Paul K has some MLTL designs that are well thought of, he doesn't have a website, so you'll have to dig to find them.
                      Thank you, I will dig.

Comment

Originally posted by civit View Post
                        The determinant of the quality of that kit is the woofers, which are very high end but not particularly high value. A good design with woofers costing a lot less could offer 90% of the performance, depending on how loud you like them. Parts express doesn't sell any kits in that bracket, unfortunately.

The thing about the Solstice is that you get a lot for your money. It's probably the best bargain in DIY audio. The woofers for a pair retail for over $900 dollars; you basically get a free cabinet and crossover.
                        When you say these woofers are "high end" but not "high value" are you saying you can get the same performance out of a less expensive woofer?

Comment

Mr Kittinger has posted some of his designs in the PE Project Gallery:

http://projectgallery.parts-express....jects/clarino/

http://projectgallery.parts-express....jects/balmora/

http://projectgallery.parts-express....jects/amaroso/

I haven't heard any of these but am in the process of building a two way MLTL which Mr K kindly designed for me. His designs have won several awards at MWAF.

Also, I'm not sure whether you would consider something a little larger, such as Paul Carmody's "Tarkus", you can find the write up on his website. It's a TMW with a 10" Peerless woofer, man people have built them and are very happy. Check out Curt Campbell's Speaker Design Works website, too.

You have many options, it will be fun working through them!

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by breadfan View Post

When you say these woofers are "high end" but not "high value" are you saying you can get the same performance out of a less expensive woofer?
                            Probably not; the high dollar drivers generally do justify their cost in my opinion, especially at their ability to produce loud bass in smallish boxes, however, the sb17CAC aluminum ceramic is an 80 dollar woofer and I would expect it to be really, really good. The Wavecor/CSS woofers are around 150-160 apiece and are close to the state of the art from everything I've heard. When you start getting up to 300 dollars for a 7" woofer you are well into diminishing returns, but those returns may be worthwhile for someone desiring very high performance in a small design.

Consider also that you're also getting a design from the most respected designer on the internet probably, and in a transmission line, which requires considerable expertise to design.

If you can make your own cabinets, I would highly recommend looking at the Finalist TL design.

Comment

Sometimes I suggest speakers that I would like to build. True for these. About half the price of the Solstice, and good I'm sure, for rock.

Speaker Design Works

Comment

Working...
                              X