Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Speaker listening positions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker listening positions

My speakers sound great, but only if you are in front of them sitting in the sweet spot. Otherwise, they really don't sound that great if your in the kitchen, to the side or anywhere but in front of them. Everything goes away, mostly the bass. Are there still Omni speaker designs out there that we can build? I really like my speakers but sometimes I don't want to sit and listen, I move around everywhere and I want the sound to be more filling. I'm not gonna say the word because they make slop, but I do think the idea really fills the need. I do have some 301 boxes that I'd like to rebuild with better crossovers and speakers. Just kicking around a thought. Or I could even build my own to make them better, and my own. 501 size would be cool.

Headphones?

I don't think you'll find any speakers that sound good from another room. You might find some that sound the same, but only because they have no highs or lows to begin with. JMHO.

Comment

I don't think what's going away is the bass, since low frequency radiation is omni-directional with any speaker.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

If the bass is going away, it's due to the room acoustics and standing waves / cancellations etc. Maybe your listening position is in a resonant spot so everywhere else sounds weak by comparison.
        Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
        Wogg Music
        Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0hTamed0-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5bc27HovsE

DML panels are Dipoles but some would argue and say Omnis with very wide soundstage and imaging....Those vids aren't the best in sound quality but there are the only ones I could find. lol

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
            If the bass is going away, it's due to the room acoustics and standing waves / cancellations etc. Maybe your listening position is in a resonant spot so everywhere else sounds weak by comparison.
            Agreed. When you sit just right, within an inch they transform and come alive. But you have to be right there. It's not a bad thing by any means, it just does not work for gatherings or parties. No one can hear what I hear unless they are sitting in a very specific spot.

Comment

If that's the case the problem is likely the speaker placement, so a different speaker won't fix it. This may help:
              http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/speak...-interference/
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Well, it just so happened that we moved into a new place this weekend and I've gone from 8ft. ceilings to 10ft. ceilings and all I can say is, wow. My speakers have been transformed into something better than they were. The acoustics are so much better and i haven't even set it up properly yet. This is a game changer.

Comment

Working...
                X