Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Re: Dennis Murphy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dennis Murphy

Dennis posted this yesterday on another forum:

"Hi everyone I was just released from the hospital and am currently in an assisted living facility to ease my transition to normal life. I hope to be back in my house by the end of the month. I have a stash of piano black BMR's that I need to sell, and then I'll suspend operations. I may do some speaker reviews and publish the designs for my current line of speakers, and I'll continue to do design work for Jim Salk. But I'm out of the speaker biz. It's drained my financial and physical resources."

Paul

I've never met the man, but I have heard the name before. Dennis - wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery!
    Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
    Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
    The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
    SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax
    The Defiants - InDIYana 2019 "Bare Minimum" Build

Comment

Prayers for the guy. Sometimes a decision like that is all it takes to start getting better, which I hope he does in short order.

Comment

I never met him, but i know hes a giant to the community. I wish him the best. Being a nurse I'm reminded of our own mortality every day. Health is something alot of us take for granted.

Comment

Dennis was one of the reasons I liked going to AXPONA. I got to see him again and catch up. I met him in 2003 at the second DIY Dayton, and he flew in. Then again at Iowa in 2007, and a few times at AXPONA. Dennis has always been an asset, and I hope he continues while in good health to be for the foreseeable future.
          Get well soon!
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
            Dennis posted this yesterday on another forum:

"Hi everyone I was just released from the hospital and am currently in an assisted living facility to ease my transition to normal life. I hope to be back in my house by the end of the month. I have a stash of piano black BMR's that I need to sell, and then I'll suspend operations. I may do some speaker reviews and publish the designs for my current line of speakers, and I'll continue to do design work for Jim Salk. But I'm out of the speaker biz. It's drained my financial and physical resources."

Paul
            I've known Dennis for close to 20 years and we worked together on a couple of my very early designs. Its great news that Dennis is getting better but very sad news that he feels its time to semi retire. There's an old saying shared with me in the past which is; If you want to make a small fortune in the speaker business, start with a large fortune.

Dennis is a really good guy and the inspiration for my original speaker designs. I truly wish him the very best, good health and a very long life.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
              Dennis posted this yesterday on another forum: "Hi everyone I was just released from the hospital and am currently in an assisted living facility to ease my transition to normal life. I hope to be back in my house by the end of the month. I have a stash of piano black BMR's that I need to sell, and then I'll suspend operations. I may do some speaker reviews and publish the designs for my current line of speakers, and I'll continue to do design work for Jim Salk. But I'm out of the speaker biz. It's drained my financial and physical resources." Paul
              Dennis is probably my favorite DIY crossover designer. His designs are always so seamless and beautiful. I'm sorry to hear this. But I'd rather he enjoy his life than burn himself out. Take care, Dennis. Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
              Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

When I was getting started in crossover design, Dennis was one of the primary designers I studied. His write ups were clear, logical and instructive, which is something I have sought to emulate. I'm sorry to hear about his health issues, but it sounds like he is thinking clearly about the future and the ever changing constraints that father time presents.
                Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

I have been the grateful recipient of Dennis Murphy's patronage and expertise many times over the years. Dennis has been a real asset to the DIY and commercial community. Glad to hear he's on the mend. Best wishes for a complete recovery.

Comment

If there ever was a case for an honorarium for a (future) published design, this is it.

Comment

Is there a link for sending him do-re-mi?

Comment

Here's part of the latest post from Dennis on his AVS forum:
                        Paul
                        "Thanks to everyone for all the friendly words. It's very comforting. I'm very anxious to get back home and get things organized. Fortunately, the BMR's came with the crossovers assembled, installed, and wired for the drivers. They also have custom packaging..........I appreciate the suggestion that people contribute to Philharmonic Audio, but I wouldn't feel right about that. Your kind words are good enough. Cheers, Dennis"

Comment

Those worthy of help too often decline.

Comment

Due to him, I am upgrading a pair of br-1 speakers that someone gave me for free. Thanks for the public, free crossover redesign! Much appreciated.

Funny thing is, the crossover boards were not mounted down well by diy builder, and were flopping around. I figured i would just build the upgrade. The guy glued the woofers down! So i had to hack the baffle a little to get woofers out. I knew i was going to have to buy new boxes after i realized the woofers were glued. The boxes had scratches from sitting in someone's garage, any ways. So, i bought new boxes and upgraded crossover parts. Going to use the extra, crap boxes for garage speakers. The woofers and tweeters are cheap, and i have the original crossovers, anyways. Now i will have two pairs, one pair Murphy blasted.

I blame Dennis and his knowledge for setting me off on this journey of speaker modifying! :D

Get better so you can get back to the things you like to do, regardless of business stuff...
                            Well wishes to an awesome speaker dude!

Comment

Wishing you well in the future Dennis. Sad to think of this hobby without you.

Comment

Working...
                              X