Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help On Swapping Out Crossover Caps

Hello and Hi to you guys... First post/inquiry

I`m wanting to change out some Nichicon 100uf 50V NP caps in some speakers I`ve had for awhile (33 years)
    There are 12 caps in all.
    There are 8 of them in there for the subwoofer and 4 of them in there bundled together for the mid range (I think)

I want to replace just those parts and would like to be able to get rid of as many as possible...less clutter, less soldering, while being an upgrade at the same time.

Open to any and all suggestions !

Thanks
    Steve

A picture of the crossover would be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
      A picture of the crossover would be helpful.
      They are not pretty but here you go.

Comment

Welcome to the board!

Any chance you can give more pics or better yet, draw a schematic?

In in the first pic it appears you have two sets divided by the gray wire. Each set is two pairs of paralleled caps wired in series. Being bipolar caps I’m not sure what this does, unless it somehow increases voltage handling?

anywho, two 100uf caps in parallel makes a single 200uf cap, so you have essentially two 200uf caps in series. Two caps in series reduces the total capacitance, in this case to 100uf. So essentially you have two 100uf caps in your circuit, one on each side of the gray wires.

As for upgrading you could replace each quad with a single 400v poly cap for around $25 each, maybe cheaper if you check your sources for industrial caps.

You could always replace them with new non polar electrolytic caps, which are 100v units, so good to around 200w or so (guessing). You could replace all them with new ones in the same uf and configuration or a single 100uf npe as well.

Remember the esr can affect the sound, so switching to a poly cap from npe can change the sound. I can’t see what’s going on in the second pic.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome dynamo !
          If I can reduce the overall number of caps and put better upgraded ones in, that would be great. My soldering skills are not so good :(
          I can`t draw out a schematic, I tried.

Comment

Greetings Pinky! What are the speakers you're working on?
            Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Updating to current Npe caps would keep the sound true, and most likely have better tolerance than the previous ones. Not to mention the cost would be minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post
                Greetings Pinky! What are the speakers you're working on?
                Thanks !
                Dayton Wrights

Comment

We need to know more:
                  pic1 (8 caps): so... there's a pair of grey wires in the center, then 4 to the left (what do they connect to?), and 4 to the right (where do THOSE go?)
                  pic2 (4 caps): are those connected to something (behind there, where we can't see?). They do NOT look like 4 just all in parallel. Where do the orange, red, and white wires go? A few more pics (not so close) showing more of the surrounding could help. What's that green thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                    We need to know more:
                    pic1 (8 caps): so... there's a pair of grey wires in the center, then 4 to the left (what do they connect to?), and 4 to the right (where do THOSE go?)
                    pic2 (4 caps): are those connected to something (behind there, where we can't see?). They do NOT look like 4 just all in parallel. Where do the orange, red, and white wires go? A few more pics (not so close) showing more of the surrounding could help. What's that green thing?
                    The 8 shown are for the subwoofer and are actually mounted on the side of the cabinet. The 4 bundled together go to the midrange. The green box thing is soldered to those 4 caps it says 10% on it btw ??.
                    I`ll put more pictures up so you can see better.

Comment

There are parallel and series groups that make this a brainer for total cap values.
                      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Comment

W-O-W.
                          (no insult intended)
                          I think almost anyone on here would be embarrassed by that "rat's nest".
                          The green thing LOOKs like a relay? (never heard of a 10% relay though)
                          Maybe the builder had ONLY 100uF caps and series'd/paralleled them to get appropriate values.

I guess the sub's on the right ( GIANT coil, HEFTY power wire-wounds, and the 8cap-pak), and the rest is for the mid?
                          The 4-pak (caps) could be part of the mid's high-pass filter.
                          Still, a schematic would be really nice.
                          Do you live near any of us?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                            W-O-W.
                            (no insult intended)
                            I think almost anyone on here would be embarrassed by that "rat's nest".
                            The green thing LOOKs like a relay? (never heard of a 10% relay though)
                            Maybe the builder had ONLY 100uF caps and series'd/paralleled them to get appropriate values.

I guess the sub's on the right ( GIANT coil, HEFTY power wire-wounds, and the 8cap-pak), and the rest is for the mid?
                            The 4-pak (caps) could be part of the mid's high-pass filter.
                            Still, a schematic would be really nice.
                            Do you live near any of us?
                            I was also wondering if it was some type of thermal relay device. But I'll bet it's a film cap bypassing all those 'lytics.
                            Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

The green thing might be a bypass cap?

Comment

Working...
                              X