Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Need Help On Swapping Out Crossover Caps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried to post up more pictures yesterday but gave up after many attempts. I kept getting 'timed out' after only a few seconds. Also something to do with 'file too large' or something, no idea.
    So all I want to do do it change those caps out, like changing a set of spark plugs out for a different brand and heat range sorta thing.
    If the site will let me I have a few more pictures if needed,
    I can`t do a schematic drawing,,I tried and its a useless mess :(

Comment

So pinky,
      TWO "blobs":
      smaller one (4 100uF caps) - is this NOT connected to anything on the "back side" (that we can't see?)?
      OR, is it just a pack of 4 that's folded over?
      <=><=> (<-like this?) TOP connects to orange wire (and green thing?), BOTtom connects to white wire (+ another thing - or 2?)

The "8-pack" LOOKs like it's really TWO 4-packs, is this correct? The (double) wire in the middle BASICALLY divides it in TWO (probably).

You're kinda asking us what plugs to put in your car, but we don't know (and you can't tell us) what car you have.

Also, there's a (not terribly small) chance that there's nothing wrong w/any of these caps and doing a swap won't accomplish anything (except maybe some longevity).

Most likely EACH of these 4-packs would be the equivalent of a single 100uF cap (nothing was changed by connecting 4 in "series/parallel", except the voltage handling) with higher voltage (100v?, 200v?). Anyway, 50v would be sufficient for nearly any application.

Comment

Again I can only get one picture uploaded then it times me out saying I have to log back it....This is a picture of the other side of the 4 bundled together,

Comment

Anywhere where you've got 4 of those "100uF 50v" caps wired together like this:
          <=><=> (the "=" sign signifies a pair of caps laid side-by-side w/their leads twisted (and soldered) together (in "parallel"), so you have...
          a pair, followed by a 2nd (paralleled) pair - (this is technically TWO paralleled pair, "in series" w/each other)

that 4-pack can be replaced by a single 100uF (100v - OR HIGHER) cap.
          I'd say (in your case) you can either go with an Audyn #027-125 (about $26 EACH) - you'd need THREE to replace what I see in 2 of your pics,
          OR a single (new) "npe" cap (like the originals) in place of ea. "4-pack", a #027-360. These are only about $1.60 EACH ! <- this is what I'd do ! !

Comment

Thanks Chris...That`s what I`m looking for, someone to tell me what to put in place of the ones in there. As mentioned they are 33+ years old !

Comment

What kind of speakers are these? Pic of front?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                Anywhere where you've got 4 of those "100uF 50v" caps wired together like this:
                <=><=> (the "=" sign signifies a pair of caps laid side-by-side w/their leads twisted (and soldered) together (in "parallel"), so you have...
                a pair, followed by a 2nd (paralleled) pair - (this is technically TWO paralleled pair, "in series" w/each other)

that 4-pack can be replaced by a single 100uF (100v - OR HIGHER) cap.
                I'd say (in your case) you can either go with an Audyn #027-125 (about $26 EACH) - you'd need THREE to replace what I see in 2 of your pics,
                OR a single (new) "npe" cap (like the originals) in place of ea. "4-pack", a #027-360. These are only about $1.60 EACH ! <- this is what I'd do ! !
                I just checked those Audyn #027-125`s, they are 400V rated is that much needed ?? The 4 Nichicons are 50V which x 4 would be 200V ??. I know nothing about this stuff so please bear with me.
                So a single #027-360 would replace the 1 bundle of 4 and 2 of the #027-360 would replace the 8 daisy chained Nichicons ??

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
                  What kind of speakers are these? Pic of front?
                  Dayton Wright XAM-4

Comment

Originally posted by Pinky View Post

Dayton Wright XAM-4
                    Those looks pretty impressive:

http://www.dayton-wright.com/xam-4-Speakers.html

The pics of your crossovers certainly indicates some serious effort went into design.

Comment

(Scroll down)

Owner's and Service Manual

Comment

Some background

XAM Speakers | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Comment

Yes (according to what I've been able to understand from your pics) - a single #027-360 would replace the 1 bundle of 4 and 2 of the #027-360 would replace the 8 daisy chained Nichicons

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                            Yes (according to what I've been able to understand from your pics) - a single #027-360 would replace the 1 bundle of 4 and 2 of the #027-360 would replace the 8 daisy chained Nichicons
                            Again, thanks Chris. In your other post, you said "...
                            OR a single (new) "npe" cap (like the originals) in place of ea. "4-pack", a #027-360. These are only about $1.60 EACH ! <- this is what I'd do ! ! "

Can you suggest a PN for those ? and they are Non Polarized correct ?

Comment

Originally posted by Pinky View Post

Again, thanks Chris. In your other post, you said "...
                              OR a single (new) "npe" cap (like the originals) in place of ea. "4-pack", a #027-360. These are only about $1.60 EACH ! <- this is what I'd do ! ! "

Can you suggest a PN for those ? and they are Non Polarized correct ?
                              027-360 is the part number. Yes, non polar. NPE stands for non-polarized electrolytic.

Comment

Originally posted by dynamo View Post

027-360 is the part number. Yes, non polar. NPE stands for non-polarized electrolytic.
                                Ok...before I place the order I have another question if you don`t mind. The old caps are 50v each...would I need a 200v cap to replace 4 50v caps ??

Comment

Working...
                                X